corner corner Changes

Changes
by Ama Ata Aidoo | Romance
Registered by winganichawing of Sittard, Limburg Netherlands on 4/9/2012

status (set by wildboarhunter): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by winganichawing from Sittard, Limburg Netherlands on Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Hello!

If this is your introduction to Bookcrossing, welcome, and congratulations on finding this book! Enjoy reading the book, and I hope you will let us know what you thought - as few or as many comments as you wish.
It is now yours to do with as you wish - keep it, pass it on, but please leave the label, so it can keep in touch with us.

If you would like to know what happens to the book after it has left you,
then do join - it's private and it's fun!
And if you do choose to join, please consider using me, anicha, as your referring member.

Happy Bookcrossing!
Anicha

Journal Entry 2 by winganichawing at Dublin Convention 2012 in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (4/13/2012 UTC) at Dublin Convention 2012 in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland

For the Bookcrossing Convention 2012 in Dublin, Ireland.

Journal Entry 3 by olagorie at Oberursel, Hessen Germany on Saturday, April 14, 2012

And other hard to find author...
I am really looking forward to reading this book :-)

Journal Entry 4 by olagorie at Oberursel, Hessen Germany on Sunday, February 03, 2013

Esi is a modern African woman who is highly educated and extremely career-centered. She marries Oko out of gratitude. Their only child, Ogyaanowa, is neglected in favor of Esi's job as a data analyst for the Department of Urban Statistics. After she is raped by Oko, she divorces him and enters into a relationship with Ali, believing that it holds the freedom she desires.

I enjoyed this book very much, the story enfolds very fetchingly.

It is not the usual African woman-gets-badly-treated-by-men plot. I like Esi and her struggle to find happiness and respect. I would have liked to read a bit more about her friend Opokuya. And Ogyaanowas part was downplayed too much - right in the beginning you get to know her from the child's perspective and then she gets nearly forgotten, only from time to time mentioned from an outside perspective.

A great read - go for it :-)

Counts for Ghana.

Professor Ama Ata Aidoo, née Christina Ama Aidoo (born 23 March 1940, Saltpond) is a Ghanaian author, playwright, politician and academic.

Aidoo's works of fiction particularly deal with the tension between Western and African world views. Many of her protagonists are women who defy the stereotypical women's roles of their time. Her novel Changes, won the 1992 Commonwealth Writers' Prize for Best Book (Africa).

This is now a ring:

1. wildboarhunter

Journal Entry 5 by olagorie at Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Sunday, February 17, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (2/19/2013 UTC) at Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany

Viel Spaß damit!

Journal Entry 6 by wingwildboarhunterwing at Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Bekommen für die 1 Jahr= 1 Land- Challenge für Ghana. Mal sehen, wann es drankommt... Danke olagorie! :-)

09/2016: A surprisingly feministic book, I enjoyed reading. The author seems to be a smart woman.

In the challenge it counts for GHANA.

Journal Entry 7 by wingwildboarhunterwing at Jeremiah's Taproom, 8 Elm Row in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, April 07, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (4/6/2017 UTC) at Jeremiah's Taproom, 8 Elm Row in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Took this book with me to the Edinburgh Meet up. Enjoy reading!:)