corner corner Scapegoat

Scapegoat
by Daphne du Maurier | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingBookworm-ladywing of Madrid, Madrid Spain on Saturday, April 07, 2012

status (set by heartthumper): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Saturday, April 07, 2012

This is one of the oldies I never get tired of re-reading.
I have bought this copy specially for bookcrossing.

"A dazzingly clever and immensely entertaining novel... better than Rebecca." (The New York Times)

"They met purely by chance, Jean the Frenchman and John the Englishman. Standing before the mirror in the restaurant, they gazed at their reflections. It was uncanny; they were as alike as identical twins. Amazed at the resemblance, the ate and drank and talked together.
The next morning, John awakened from a drugged sleep to find himself in a strange hotel. The Frenchman had taken his baggage and papers and left his double to assume the life he no longer wanted, the responsibilities he could no longer face.
While still puzzling over his bizarre situation, a chauffeur arrived to take "Monsieur le Comte" back to his chateau.
John was no longer a professor in an English university. He was the Count de Gue!"

If you liked "Rebecca", you'll love this one!

Journal Entry 2 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, April 19, 2012

Reserved for a 6th Bookiversary Bookray.

Journal Entry 3 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Sunday, May 20, 2012

A short bookray, but here it goes...
Edited: No longer short; the number of readers keeps increasing! :)

Boekentrol (Netherlands)
LilyKlip (Germany)
Kalise (Austria)
Penelopewanders (Switzerland)
RonOren (United Kingdom)
3vie (United Kingdom)
Han_cat (United Kingdom)
Hearthumper (U.S.A.) (The book is here now!- Bookray COMPLETED)

Journal Entry 4 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (5/22/2012 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent today to Boekentrol, in The Netherlands, who is first in this Bookiversary Bookray.
Enjoy! :)
Eva

Journal Entry 5 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Thursday, May 24, 2012

This book arrived safely in my mailbox today.
Thank you for sharing and sending out to me :-)

Journal Entry 6 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Saturday, July 14, 2012

Finally I am starting to read this book. Still looks like an interesting read from the synopsis on the back cover of the book. I'll see soon I think.

Sorry for delaying the travel of you RABCK-book-ray, Bookworm-lady!

Journal Entry 7 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, July 22, 2012

Very entertaining, nice and quick read that kept my attention. I 'only' was totally annoyed by the real Jean character. Can't help it! Hard to beleive that the wole book covers only one week in the life of John and the people he's come to live with. Hard to believe.

*SPOILER alert*

Interesting to see that despite he's a total stranger, he manages to fool all people he comes in contact with, but one. And of course the dog. How John manouvres to disguise that he's not Jean, trying to figure out the sensitivities, the motives, the past that binds all those at the chateau.
Well done!

And then the end: the two switching again! If I were John, I would have tried harder to see that I could stay Jean. All the more, because Jean destryed his life back in England thoroughly.
Disliked the very end too. So, all in all a nice read with a disappointing end.

Journal Entry 8 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, July 22, 2012

I think I still have LilyKlip's address, so the book will be travelling to its next reader soon.

Journal Entry 9 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (7/26/2012 UTC) at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

On to the next reader in this ray. Safe travels little book!

Journal Entry 10 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Wednesday, August 01, 2012

I didn't get very far in this one. Just isn't my cup of tea.

Thanks anyway. The next address is already here.

Journal Entry 11 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (9/11/2012 UTC) at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany

Safe travels!

Journal Entry 12 by kalise at St. Florian bei Linz, Oberösterreich Austria on Thursday, October 04, 2012

Book arrived this morning. Thanks for sending! Looking forward to reading! :-)

Journal Entry 13 by kalise at St. Florian bei Linz, Oberösterreich Austria on Monday, October 15, 2012

I just finished the book and loved it! Gorgeous writing, and a fascinating, dense story that kept me gripped to the very end. A gem of a book! Not sure it's better than "Rebecca", though, and my favorite DuMaurier remains "Frenchman's Creek".
(spoiler alert!)
I have some issues with the enigmatic ending, which I found rather dissatisfying. I guess I'm just the kind of reader who needs a proper closure ;-)
Also kept waiting for an explanation why these two men are such mirror images of each other. But the fact that they look, talk, speak like identical twins remains just a coincidence? Really?? It's a bit of a letdown that there's no explanation to that, or maybe I missed it somehow because I read the book too fast (gobbled it down).

Thank you so much for sharing this book, Bookworm-lady! The next reader in line has been contacted for her address, will send ASAP :-)

Journal Entry 14 by kalise at St. Florian bei Linz, Oberösterreich Austria on Sunday, November 11, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (11/11/2012 UTC) at St. Florian bei Linz, Oberösterreich Austria

Book is on the way to penelopewanders in Switzerland! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 15 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Friday, November 23, 2012

This has rolled up into the Alps - where it will have to wait a bit because there seems to be a bookring convention or something going on - all sorts of rings I signed up for ages ago (and some more recently) are suddenly arriving at the same time - and this when I've got the busiest time of year at work! I do hope to get to this soon - I've loved most of the Daphne du Maurier books I've read.

Journal Entry 16 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Friday, December 28, 2012

Hard to qualify this one - it's not really contemporary, not really a thriller.... It takes place just after WWII and is an interesting story of mistaken identity, to a certain extent.
I quite enjoyed it (the fact that it took me a long time to read was related to my non-reading schedule, not the book), pretty much up until the end.
The heavy religious overtones at times were less to my taste, and I didn't really appreciate the ending. I agree with Kalise too that I kept expecting some explanation about how they could be so identical... and yet if they were identical twins, presumably they would have had the same blood group...
I was nonetheless glad to read this book I had never heard of by an author I've often enjoyed. Thanks so much for making it available. I'll try to send it on soon - sorry it's been with me so long, but work, despite the holidays, is too crazy just now.

Journal Entry 17 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (1/9/2013 UTC) at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland

The annual work-related meeting I'm involved with over the holidays has finally ended, so I'm able to do things like parcel books... Sorry this stayed with me so long, but it's now finally leaving the slopes and heading to the UK. Thanks for making this available!

Journal Entry 18 by RonOren at Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 04, 2013

This arrived a couple of days ago, but I didn't get around to journal it. Apologies for the delay! With exquisite bad timing, I've just started another book, but as that seems to be quite the page-turner it shouldn't delay me too much. Should get starting on this one in a week or so...

Journal Entry 19 by RonOren at Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 16, 2013

I have to say - when I saw the front cover of this book, I didn't think I would be able to read it. Based purely on the image it just looks like horrible chick-lit (and without wanting to give offence to chick-lit, it's just not my thing). Well, imagine my surprise when it was perfectly enjoyable! It's well written and quite a sweet story, even if I didn't like the ending too much; but then, I don't know how else it could've ended.

The premise of this story reminded me a lot of "De donkere kamer van Damokles", a Dutch book that is based on a same uncanny likeness between the protagonist and a stranger. In De donkere kamer, you never find out whether the "twins" are truly different people or merely a fiction of the protagonist's imagination. Once I made the connection between The Scapegoat and De donkere kamer, I couldn't help wondering whether John and Jean would end up being the same person, too. After all, if nobody else sees any difference between them, it wouldn't be that unlikely for John to start doubting himself at some point...

I've never read anything by Daphne du Maurier before, although I have obviously heard her name. Based on this book, I'll be quite keen to read more of her work. So thanks so much for sharing this, Bookworm-lady! You've not only introduced me to a book I've never read, but to a whole new author.

I have address details of 3vie already, so will send the book on its way in the next day or two.

Journal Entry 20 by wing3viewing at Gateshead, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The book arrived today. I have a couple to read before this one, but it should hopefully be on its way again in the next week or so. Thanks for sending RonOren.

Journal Entry 21 by wing3viewing at Gateshead, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Thursday, February 28, 2013

I enjoyed this book, though I didnt find it an easy read. I thought at times it dragged a bit when there was'nt really all that much happening, but im glad that I stuck with it. Although I did think the ending was so disappointing, I mean was that it?

Thanks for sharing Bookworm-lady ;0)

Have pm'd han_cat for their address and will post on as soon as I have a reply.

Journal Entry 22 by wing3viewing at Gateshead, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, March 09, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (3/9/2013 UTC) at Gateshead, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

I have han_cat's address so book will be on its travels today ;0)

Journal Entry 23 by han_cat at Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 11, 2013

Arrived with me today, thanks 3vie! Actually just been reading some du Maurier short storie, so pretty good timing. Will read as my next book.

Journal Entry 24 by han_cat at Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 30, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (5/30/2013 UTC) at Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

Ugh embarrassing how long I've had this book! :S

Did enjoy this, good book a bit different to what I normally read. Now finally sending on the next reader ... really sorry for delay :( Hannah xx

Journal Entry 25 by wingheartthumperwing at Hutchinson, Kansas USA on Wednesday, June 05, 2013

The book arrived today! Thanks so much for including me!

Han-cat, Thank you for the chocolate!!!!