corner corner Runaway

Runaway
by Alice Munro | Literature & Fiction
Registered by marja-leena of Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland on 4/6/2012

status (set by Lamilla): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by marja-leena from Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland on Friday, April 06, 2012

Short stories from a brilliant Canadian writer. I did not know the author before but while I was reading this book, she won the Nobel prize for literature. She thrilled me even before that.

All the stories are of women who runaway something, their men, their parents, their past or themselves. For myself the book reawakens personal memories: I remember wandering the streets of Stratford, Ontario and standing on its train platform. Canada is such a vast country; a perfect place to runaway.

Journal Entry 2 by marja-leena at Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland on Monday, December 23, 2013

This will be a book ray. The participants are listed here.

TiiMa (Järvenpää)
AnniManni (Espoo)
Oikku (Kuopio)
-Kata- (Tampere)

Journal Entry 3 by marja-leena at Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland on Saturday, January 11, 2014

Sent for TiiMa. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by TiiMa at Järvenpää, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Oh, that was quick! Book is here already. The package was in good shape.

Thank you marja-leena for sending this book!

I'm trying to read the book within the month and send forward.

Journal Entry 5 by TiiMa at Järvenpää, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, February 07, 2014

I haven't read that much short stories and none in english. So, first the reading was a bit of a struggle. Then it get going, but a few times I wondered if I missed some deeper meaning.

Stories were quite odd or strange, but in a good way. I would say I liked this book :) If I had the time I would read it again, to see if I find something what I missed the first time.

I have planned to give the book to Annimanni at the meet-up next week.

Journal Entry 6 by TiiMa at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (2/11/2014 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Book was given to Annimanni at the meet-up.

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Thanks, I'll get to this shortly. It was nice to meet you yesterday, TiiMa!

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, March 14, 2014

Just a quick note to let you know that the book's still with me. I'll try to get it moving soon. Sorry for the delay!

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, April 07, 2014

My sincere apologies for keeping this book for so long. I've been down in the dumps for no particular reason for the past several weeks and have been unable to concentrate on anything, reading included (which is new for me).

The delay was in no way due to this book, which was wonderful! I finished it yesterday - reluctantly, because I enjoyed it so much. I love Munro's language and style. Her writing reminds me of my two other North American favourites, Anne Tyler and Carol Shields. The trio has not been referred to as the "mistresses of the mundane" for nothing - and that's what I love them for. They write beautifully about the everyday and there's just something very appealing in that.

Thank you for sharing this book marja-leena and sorry once more for stalling the ring. I will send the book onwards to Oikku tomorrow.

Journal Entry 10 by Oikku at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland on Thursday, April 10, 2014

The book arrived safe and sound today. My second Alice Munro ring in a few days...the other one is in Finnish, though. It' s always interesting to compare a native language text of an author to a translated one.

Journal Entry 11 by Oikku at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland on Tuesday, May 27, 2014

I must say I'm somewhat in between opinions of Munro; on the other hand she is a genius what comes to writing about the little things in everyday life but on the other hand some of her stories are so slow and down shifted that they are almost dull and boring. In a certain state of mind I enjoy her short stories, whereas another time I can't help rushing (now go on, tell me the clue of this endless pile of words).

Thanks for the bookray, marja-leena! Now Runaway travels to -Kata-.

Journal Entry 12 by -Kata- at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The book arrived today, thanks Oikku! :)

reserved for the Women in Fiction VBB: Lamilla

Journal Entry 13 by -Kata- at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, October 11, 2014

There's something magical in these stories.

Journal Entry 14 by -Kata- at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, November 22, 2014

Released 2 yrs ago (11/22/2014 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Runaway is finally on it's way to lamilla. I'm so sorry it took this long!

Journal Entry 15 by wingLamillawing at Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Thursday, December 11, 2014

Received today along with the other book. Thank you! Looking forward to reading it