corner corner Room

Room
by Emma Donoghue | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingVekikiwing of London Below, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, April 06, 2012

status (set by bronwyna): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingVekikiwing from London Below, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, April 06, 2012

Picked this up second hand for my Convention NSS partner as it is on her wishlist... enjoy!

Journal Entry 2 by wingVekikiwing at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Friday, April 06, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (4/13/2012 UTC) at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland

bring it along to the convention for my NSS partner

Journal Entry 3 by wingmeganhwing at Thornbury, Victoria Australia on Saturday, April 14, 2012

Wow, I am overwhelmed by your generosity Vekiki! This book off my wishlist and two others as well as all the beautiful personal touches you added. I shall treasure the little gifts and enjoy taking the books off my wish list and adding them to my bulging suitcases to go onto Mt TBR at home. Great to meet you - and hope we can entice you to visit Melbourne in 2014!

Journal Entry 4 by wingmeganhwing at Thornbury, Victoria Australia on Saturday, July 21, 2012

Wow, what an amazing story! I didn't read any of the blurb before I started, and have forgotten why I added it to my wish list so the developing story was quite a surprise.
I have given it a rating of 9 rather than 10 because I was initially disappointed with the writing for the first few pages - the story was being told from the perspective of a boy turning five years old and written in very simple English.
Once I got into the story I understood why the writing had started in a simplistic manner and couldn't stop reading, very nearly finishing it in one sitting!
The story of Jack who was born in a garden shed and the life he and his Ma led in "Room" was amazing. Ma did everything she could to protect and nurture her son whilst she was the victim of kidnapping and continual rape by her captor over a number of years.
It was a story more about hope and love than abuse, and the eventual escape and entry into the big wide world outside Room was inspirational.

Journal Entry 5 by bronwyna at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Picked up at a recent meetup, sorry for the delay in journalling.
Will be placed onto my TBR pile, may be for a little while.
Picked this up as it is a Booker shortlist book and it's BC providence, all the way from the UK!