corner corner Salt

Salt
by Earl Lovelace | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingolagoriewing of Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg Germany on 3/31/2012

status (set by book-a-billy): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingolagoriewing from Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Friday, December 07, 2012

Hailed as "amazingly vivid and joyous" by The Times of London, Earl Lovelace's fifth novel Salt, an intriguing blend of contemporary and historical events in Trinidad, begins with a mythical story reminiscent of the well-known folktale "All God's Chillen Had Wings." It tells of Guinea John, who escapes slavery by flying back to Africa without revealing "the mysteries of levitation and flight" to his descendants who "had eaten salt and made themselves too heavy to fly."

The only perplexing flaw in this dense and multi-layered work is that it is, at times, downright puzzling. For one thing it takes a few chapters just to figure out who is telling the story and what the timeline is. The narrator, who remains unnamed, turns out to be one of Bango's nephews and one of Alford's students. So, eventually, his vantage point becomes clear, but then, for some unknown reason, he drops out of sight without warning in the second part of the novel. And an omniscient point of view takes over to introduce us, chapter by chapter, to characters who are either completely new, such as the prime minister in Chapter 7, or to others, who were on the periphery in the first six chapters. All of them, to be fair, are somehow connected to Bango and Alford, but with so many different portraits, panoramic scenes, flashbacks and social issues, the plot tends to slow down to a crawl, and our empathy for the plight of the main characters tends to dissolve.

Even so, by any measure, this is an impressive novel. It's no wonder that it won the 1997 Commonwealth Writers Prize Competition in the Caribbean/Canada category. All in all, it is an enlightening and complex exploration of history, culture, politics, and education—on personal and social levels.

Well, the end surprised me a lot - or the lack of it.

(read more here: http://www.thecaribbeanwriter.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=895&catid=16:volume13&Itemid=2§ion=index)

Earl Lovelace (born 13 July 1935) is an award-winning Trinidadian novelist, journalist, playwright, and short story writer. He is particularly recognised for his descriptive, dramatic fiction about Caribbean culture: "Using Trinidadian dialect patterns and standard English, he probes the paradoxes often inherent in social change as well as the clash between rural and urban cultures".

Born in Toco, Trinidad and Tobago, Earl Lovelace was sent to live with his grandparents in Tobago at a very young age, but rejoined his family in Toco when he was 11 years old. He began writing while stationed in the village of Valencia as a forest ranger.[2] In 1962 his first novel, While Gods Are Falling, won the Trinidad and Tobago Independence literary competition sponsored by British Petroleum (BP). He is a columnist for the Trinidad Express, and has contributed to a number of periodicals, including Voices, South, and Wasafiri. Based in Trinidad, while teaching and touring various countries, he was appointed to the Board of Governors of the University of Trinidad and Tobago in 2005, the year his 70th birthday was honoured with a conference and celebrations at the University of the West Indies.

He won in 1997, Best Book, Commonwealth Writers' Prize (Overall Winner, Best Book), 1997, for Salt.

Counts for Trinidad and Tobago.

Ring:

1. holle77
2. Isfet

Journal Entry 2 by wingolagoriewing at Selm, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, December 16, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (12/17/2012 UTC) at Selm, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Schöne Feiertage!

Journal Entry 3 by wingholle77wing at Selm, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Book arrived this morning in my Packstation and I could fetch it on the start into my holidays. Thanks a lot for sending.

Journal Entry 4 by wingholle77wing at Selm, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, February 24, 2013

I would have appreciated tomread this book in German. I had many difficulties with the changea of times and narrators, therefore I did not like it as much as I would perhaps liked it in a German Translation.
However thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 5 by wingIsfetwing at Ingolstadt, Bayern Germany on Sunday, March 03, 2013

Gut angekommen - herzlichen Dank!

Journal Entry 6 by wingIsfetwing at Ingolstadt, Bayern Germany on Wednesday, July 31, 2013

For me it is not a joyus story, as most of the time it is about the question which race a person belongs to and which race is more socially disadvantaged. But I like Bango and Moon and Alford, and the way they try to change things going wrong.

Journal Entry 7 by wingIsfetwing at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bayern Germany on Saturday, March 19, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (3/19/2016 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bayern Germany

Angenehme Lesestunden!

Journal Entry 8 by book-a-billy at -- Irgendwo in Bayern, Bayern Germany on Saturday, March 26, 2016

The book has arrived today - thank you very much - and is now sound and save in my guestroom ;-) You will hear from it again when I have read it.