corner corner Dude, Where's My Country

Dude, Where's My Country
by Michael Moore | Nonfiction
Registered by ecoboy of Prince George, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, October 29, 2003

status (set by Catwoman): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by ecoboy from Prince George, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, October 29, 2003

I have had such an enthusiastic response to this Book Ring that I have decided to split it into three interlocked Book Rings.

This copy will be for the CanDude Ring...

The book focuses on the American political scene and specifically the need to get Bush and Company out of the White House in 2004, but this is really not just an American issue. Bush and his buddies are sponsored by global corporate giants that are doing their best to dismantle democracy everywhere on the planet. These are powerful people who owe allegiance to no country, no crede, no value system except greed. They have created a terrorist threat to get there hands on Middle-Eastern oil, and when it is worth their while they will be coming for our water and your copper and the next guys bananas.

The CanDUDE list:

newf / Ottawa, Ontario / Canada (done)
gumshoe007 / Ottawa, Ontario / Canada (done)
dioteqnician / Montreal, Quebec / Canada (done)
buzzgirl / Hamilton, Ontario / Canada (done)
jmg49 / Woodstock, Ontario / Canada (done)
Miss-Efficiency / Milton, Ontario / Canada (done)
IceAgent Edmonton, Alberta / Canada
Jolyn / Winnipeg, Manitoba / Canada
stardustnf / St. John's, Newfoundland / Canada

You know the drill -- journal the book when it arrives, read the book as expiditiously as you can, contact the next person on the list to confirm that he/she still wants the book and to get a postal address, send the book off, and make another journal entry (with insightful comments) to say that the book is on its way to the next reader.

And while you are waiting for the book check out Moore's DUDE, WHERE'S MY COUNTY? website.

Read journal entries from the USDUDE(1) list.
Read journal entries from the USDUDE(2) list.
Read journal entries from the EuroDUDE list.
Read journal entries from the PacifcDUDE(1) list.

Journal Entry 2 by ecoboy from Prince George, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, October 29, 2003

The Canadian copy of DUDE, WHERE'S MY COUNTRY? is in the mail to newt in Ottawa.

If you have sent a PM asking to be included on the list and you don't see it there don't worry. It takes a while to process each name onto the list, and I started with the US list... there are still quite a few in my in-box...

Journal Entry 3 by newf from St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on Thursday, November 13, 2003

A thought-provoking read. I like Michael Moore's tell-it-like-it-is attitude, although he is overly repetetive at times. All the better to get his point across, I suppose.

Having watched Bowling for Columbine, and now reading this book, I feel more and more thankful that I live in Canada. I have to go out and track down a copy of Stupid White Men now...

Journal Entry 4 by newf at -- Controlled Release in Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Monday, December 08, 2003

Release planned for Tuesday, December 09, 2003 at Passed To A Fellow BookCrosser in Ottawa, Ontario Canada.

Will be passed aong to the next person on the list, in person.

Journal Entry 5 by gumshoe007 from Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Thursday, December 11, 2003

I've got CANDUDE in my hands. I'll be reading this one on the plane to Calgary on Friday. Do you think the airport might consider this terrorist contraband? I better smuggle it......

Thanks for starting the DUDE bookring!

Journal Entry 6 by gumshoe007 from Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Friday, December 19, 2003

I'm not even really sure what to say. I liked this book and I completely agree with most everything (well, everything, I think) Moore writes. I believe it is serious time things changed in our world for many reasons. I liked the part where he comments that Americans are good people...free-thinking and open-minded. I do believe this and I agree that if the people "take back" their country....it will begin change. There AND around the world. It is quite shocking the state of the politics there at this time. I hope the majority has the courage in 2004 to say "we won't accept this anymore". They have the money, the people, ALL the means to effect a lot of change in this world.

NOTE: I have passed this book on to my brother, idioteqnician, as we are both visiting Calgary at the moment. He will PM the next person (after me) on the list to mail it out. Thanks ecoboy for allowing us to do that!

Journal Entry 7 by idioteqnician from Stoke Newington, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, December 20, 2003

Hey that's kind of neat that the last two exchanges of this book have been in person! Thank you for letting my sister hand this off to me, Ecoboy, and for letting me jump the line... I'll make it worth everyone's while by trying my best to have it read and sent off within a week.

Journal Entry 8 by idioteqnician from Stoke Newington, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, December 22, 2003

Hey that was pretty fast of me! I read this book in 48 hours and I'm usually a pretty slow reader. That might be due to this being such a great and important read. Thanks so much for setting it up, Ecoboy! I did find Stupid White Men a bit too repetitive, but I didn't find this book repetitive at all. At just over 200 pages I found the pace faster moving and the writing tighter and more to the point.

Argh! Don't you wish we could have a reply to this book?!? Pretty much the whole thing is addressed specifically to George W. Bush and I just kept wishing Bush would give us some answers. If Moore is wrong then prove it, dammit!

What I really liked was that he provided some real, concrete solutions. That's really brilliant. It almost - almost - made me wish I was American just so I could get involved in the 2004 elections. And Moore made a damn good case for something I've wished would happen for a long, long time: Op-rah! Op-rah! Op-rah!...

A final thought... Since this is the Canadian edition of Ecoboy's "Dude" bookrays, we might give a little thought as to what Moore's ideas have to say about Canadian politics. At the time of writing, Prime Minister Martin is at the very start of what will likely be a long, long run. Although the pathetic (non)race for the Liberal leadership allowed Martin to get away with telling us very little about what he actually thinks, federal politics in this country will surely skid off centre and toward the right under his leadership in the years to come. Given that we have a federal election coming this spring, Moore's latest book would seem to encourage us to vote Liberal where we fear the new Conservative Party may stand a chance, but to otherwise vote harder left where the Liberals are a virtual shoo-in as a way to show Paul Martin that many Canadians far prefer what Sheila Copps stood for in the leadership (non)race and that we'll fight against any moves to slash our social programs any more than they already have been. I don't want a tax-break, I want my taxes to go toward creating a more just society for everyone.

Journal Entry 9 by buzzgirl from Dunnville, Ontario Canada on Monday, January 05, 2004

Arrived today! (Jan. 5/03) Can't wait to start.

A friend just sent me a link to this website:
http://www.bushin30seconds.org/ It's a contest to pick the best anti-Bush 30-second ad spot. Among the judges are Michael Moore, Donna Brazile, Jack Black, Janeane Garofalo, Margaret Cho and Gus Van Sant, so you get the picture.

Journal Entry 10 by buzzgirl from Dunnville, Ontario Canada on Sunday, January 18, 2004

Thanks so much for sending this book along everyone! I'm going to mail it to jmg49 in Woodstock, ON tomorrow. I haven't stopped thinking/talking about this book since I finished it. I let my husband read it, he's an American and can vote in the upcoming election, so I thought no one would mind him sneaking in 'on the read'...

SO! I've started asking all my American friends if they vote. I'm surprised at how many of them don't. It baffles me, why someone wouldn't vote in general??...but especially now, and in America...it freaks me out. So maybe I can encourage a few voters to get out to the polls, and then to conserve gas and oil, re-use, reduce and recycle...all easy enough really. Just takes a little of thought, a liitle extra effort maybe.

One of the things I respect most about what Michael Moore does through his books (this one and Stupid White Men) is that he goes beyond just pointing out the problems, he makes great suggestions as to what any ol' regular person can do. He paints a really desparate picture...but then he goes on to say that YOU (yes little ol' YOU) can actually do soemthing to change the outcome, shake up the system...not huge things neccesarily, but concrete things, things that will matter. VOTE for one thing.

So...if you're an American and you're reading this, hey!!! get registered, get educated and get out there on voting day. Make your voice heard. What have you got to lose? Answer that question after you read this book...

Michael Moore suggests (from the endnotes of the book):
"Most important, stay informed. Listen to National Public Radio, Pacifica Radio, read the newspaper, or try to regularly check out these Web sites: www.buzzflash.com
www.commondreams.org
www.cursor.org for good daily updates on news stories you might be missing."

I also recommend
www.truthout.org and www.straightgoods.com a Canadian based website.

Journal Entry 11 by jmg49 from Woodstock, Ontario Canada on Friday, January 23, 2004

Just arrived and I'm looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 12 by jmg49 from Woodstock, Ontario Canada on Sunday, February 08, 2004

It's taking me a while to read this book. I keep having to put it down because I get angry. I get angry that the most powerful nation on earth is also the worlds largest bully and extortionist. I applaud Michael Moore for writing this book and wish that all Americans would read it and get as angry as I.

Journal Entry 13 by jmg49 from Woodstock, Ontario Canada on Thursday, February 12, 2004

I finished this book last night and really don't have anything to add to what has already been said. I just hope that Americans take their country back for all our sakes.
I mailed it today to Miss-Efficiency

Journal Entry 14 by Miss-Efficiency from Milton, Ontario Canada on Monday, February 16, 2004

Got this in the mail today. It's uncanny. I have signed up for about 5 bookrings/rays in the past 6 months, and 4 of them came in the mail today. I will do my best to power through the pile quickly, but a little patience may be required. Thanks everyone for sending this along.

Journal Entry 15 by Miss-Efficiency from Milton, Ontario Canada on Saturday, March 13, 2004

Read this a week or so ago. It is great. Moore has really nailed a number of thoughts that I have tried to express before about the current Bush administration. He also managed to shock me with a few more.

I imagine a few people will take umbrage with the chapter written from the POV of God, but oh well. I hope they don't write off all of Moore's ideas abecause of that.

I have been a Moore fan for a long time (since I read Downsize This! when it came out). He continues to amaze me with his perseverance and how he has maintained his sense of humour through everything.

Since Bush II came to power, Canadians have had an odd relationship with Americans. He's never been that popular with Canadians, but every time we criticize him in the slightest many Americans lash out at us and accuse us of being undemotratic, or sissies or some other nonsense. I do believe what Moore writes about in this book about how most Americans think and feel. The current situation feels to me a lot like when your best friend or sister has chosen an unsuitable mate, a relationship you know is destructive and that she could do much better for herself. But will she listen to any of your concerns? No way! All she does is call you names and shut you out.

I couldn't help thinking about this book when I read Aristide's accusations that the U.S. was behind the coup that removed him from office last week.

My advice to Americans is this -- regime change begins at home!

Journal Entry 16 by Miss-Efficiency from Milton, Ontario Canada on Thursday, April 22, 2004

Mailed to IceAgent over a week ago.

Journal Entry 17 by IceAgent from Madsen, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Received in mail yesterday and started reading it this morning. Thank you!

I have finished reading the book. It was pretty good. MM is a funny guy that seems to know his stuff (IHO anyway)
I was not a Bush supporter before reading it and even more so afterwards.
I always thought of him as a used car salesman with a false grin that preaches his will upon his country, which he runs like a corporation, which we all know are classified as pyschopaths. sigh.
With his control over the US's media his people believe him, meanwhile the rest of the world is catching on to his lies...slowly. So are some Americans. The Canadian Bush supporters that I heard loud and clear at the beginning of the 'war' are not so vocal these days. And Oh Lord, please do not accuse me of being undemocratic or unpatriotic!!! Piss off and go eat your communism-fries!! LOL
I also believe that Bush knew 9-11 was coming and that perhaps he directed it...there wasn't any fusalage at the Pentagon....a plane would not fit into the small hole there, it looks like a small explosion from the inside. My opionion though.

Anyhoo, For the sake of the whole world, I hope that his reign is soon to be over and the American people can get their heads outta the sand and get their country back...back to a working democracy.

May22-sending next person in Ring a third request for mailing address....if not successful I will move onto the next person in the list.
May24-Success! Not all of my PMs are going through, not receiving all of them either, sheesh.

Journal Entry 18 by Catwoman from Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada on Friday, September 23, 2005

Acquired from IceAgent who is moving. I noticed that this book was/is part of a ring - have PM'd ecoboy to see where the book should go next.

Journal Entry 19 by Catwoman from Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada on Monday, September 04, 2006

I tried to contact the originator of the ring without success. After having this book languish on my bookshelf for so long, I'll try to pass it on to the next person on the list.

Journal Entry 20 by Catwoman from Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada on Monday, September 25, 2006

I was able to contact one person on the list, who has acquired the book through other means. So, I'll release this book through some means so that it can continue its travels.

Journal Entry 21 by Catwoman at Millenium Place in Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada on Sunday, November 19, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (11/19/2006 UTC) at Millenium Place in Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada

To be released about noon.