corner corner Lord John and the Private Matter

Lord John and the Private Matter
by Diana Gabaldon | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by brewski of Markham, Ontario Canada on 9/9/2006

status (set by brewski): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Saturday, September 09, 2006

Book Description

Adored bestselling author Diana Gabaldon brings us the first book in a new trilogy featuring many of the characters from her wildly popular Outlander series.

In her New York Times bestselling Outlander novels, Diana Gabaldon introduced millions of readers to a dazzling world of history and adventure—a world of vibrant settings and utterly unforgettable characters. Now one of these characters, Major Lord John Grey, opens the door to his own part of this world—eighteenth-century London, a seething anthill of nobility and rabble peopled by soldiers and spies, whores and dukes. Great Britain is battling France for supremacy on three continents—and life is good for a soldier.

The year is 1757. On a clear morning in mid-June, Lord John Grey emerges from London’s Beefsteak Club, his mind in turmoil. A nobleman and a high-ranking officer in His Majesty’s Army, Grey has just witnessed something shocking. But his efforts to avoid a scandal that might destroy his family are interrupted by something still more urgent: the Crown appoints him to investigate the brutal murder of a comrade in arms, who may have been a traitor.

Obliged to pursue two inquiries at once, Major Grey finds himself ensnared in a web of treachery and betrayal that touches every stratum of English society—and threatens all he holds dear. From the bawdy houses of London’s night-world to the stately drawing rooms of the nobility, and from the blood of a murdered corpse to the thundering seas ruled by the majestic fleet of the East India Company, Lord John pursues the elusive trails of a vanishing footman and a woman in green velvet, who may hold the key to everything—or nothing.

The early days of the Seven Years War come brilliantly to life in this historical mystery by an author whose unique and compelling storytelling has engrossed millions of readers worldwide.

Journal Entry 2 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Thursday, September 21, 2006

To start, let me just say that I am not usually a big fan of historical fiction, particularly those set in Britain, since I don't enjoy deciphering strange British speech patterns :)

But, I have to say that I really enjoyed reading this book despite it being a historical fiction, and set in Britain! This novel provided plenty of twists and turns that kept me guessing how things were going to turn out in the end. All in all, I really enjoyed this novel and will definitely read some of Ms Gabaldon's other work.

Journal Entry 3 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Set aside to give to my brother when he visits in September 2007.

Journal Entry 4 by brewski at San Jose, California USA on Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (9/16/2007 UTC) at San Jose, California USA

Sent back to California with my younger brother.