corner corner Sons of Heaven: A Novel

Sons of Heaven: A Novel
by Terrence Cheng | Literature & Fiction
Registered by brewski of Markham, Ontario Canada on 8/11/2006

status (set by BookBirds): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Friday, August 11, 2006

This was an interesting take on the events in Tiannemen square. While I did enjoy Terrence Cheng's writing, I am not quite sure that i enjoy Historical Fiction as a genre...

Journal Entry 2 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Monday, September 17, 2007

Reserved for cinnycat for the "Keep it going reverse wishlist relay" relay. I will be mailing this out sometime this week.

Journal Entry 3 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Thursday, September 20, 2007

Dropped in the mailbox this morning.

Journal Entry 4 by BookBirds from -- wild in the usa, -- Wild Released somewhere in USA -- USA on Friday, October 05, 2007

thanks so much for this RABCK, brewski! I will write another journal entry as soon as I finish reading!

Journal Entry 5 by BookBirds from -- wild in the usa, -- Wild Released somewhere in USA -- USA on Sunday, July 26, 2009

Hits the ground running... right into the Tiananmen Square massacre of 1989. Wow. Cheng's writing is very stunning. This book takes the perspective of three people: "The soldier" and big brother, Lu. "The dissident" and little brother, Xiao-Di. "The Comrade" and leader of China, Deng Xiaopeng. I almost feel like I've met Xiao-Di before -- very real, very relatable (even Deng Xiaopeng is made very real!). This should be read by anyone wanting a dose of easily readable history of China. I think it does a good job of covering the basics of Chinese history in memorable fiction -- at least for someone who knows little about it yet. I think one of the main things that makes this novel "fictional" is giving a story to the mysterious "tank man" -- the man standing in front of the tanks in that famous picture. They never did find out who the man was, so Cheng has a great time making a story for him. The story simply flows really really well. If you had handed me a book like this, something fictional yet historical, I would have learned so much more than I did in history class. A favorite read from this year, so far. thanks so much for sharing this amazing book, brewski!