corner corner Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, Book 1)

Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, Book 1)
by Eoin Colfer | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by brewski of Markham, Ontario Canada on 3/17/2006

status (set by AnonymousFinder): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Friday, March 17, 2006

From Publishers Weekly
Colfer's (Benny and Omar) crime caper fantasy, the first in a series, starts off with a slam-bang premise: anti-hero Artemis Fowl is a boy-genius last in line of a legendary crime family teetering on the brink of destruction. With the assistance of his bodyguard, Butler, he masterminds his plan to regain the Fowls' former glory: capture a fairy and hold her ransom for the legendary fairy gold. However, his feisty mark, Holly, turns out to be a member of the "LEPrecon, an elite branch of the Lower Elements Police," so a wisecracking team of satyrs, trolls, dwarfs and fellow fairies set out to rescue her. Despite numerous clever gadgets and an innovative take on traditional fairy lore, the author falls short of the bar. The rapid-fire dialogue may work as a screenplay with the aid of visual effects (a film is due out from Talk/Miramax in 2002) but, on the page, it often falls flat. The narrative hops from character to character, so readers intrigued by Artemis's wily, autocratic personality have to kill a good deal of time with the relatively bland Holly and her cohorts, and the villain/hero anticlimactically achieves his final escape by popping some sleeping pills (it renders him invulnerable to the fairy time-stop). Technology buffs may appreciate the imaginative fairy-world inventions and action-lovers will get some kicks, but the series is no classic in the making. Ages 12-up.

Journal Entry 2 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Thursday, March 23, 2006

This was a great book, I really, really enjoyed it. Colfer's writing had me flipping the pages as fast as I could read. I may pass this on to my younger cousin who is actually in the target age range for this book ;)

Journal Entry 3 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Mailing off to Komsomolskij tomorrow for a BookRelay.

Journal Entry 4 by Komsomolskij from Dannenberg, Niedersachsen Germany on Monday, December 04, 2006

Thanks for this book !

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Friday, December 15, 2006

Thank you for the book! I'm sure, I will enjoy reading it :-)

CAUGHT IN BERLIN GERMANY