corner corner Middlesex: A Novel

Middlesex: A Novel
by Jeffrey Eugenides | Literature & Fiction
Registered by brewski of Markham, Ontario Canada on 3/2/2006

status (set by brewski): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Thursday, March 02, 2006

Nr. 1 latest

From Amazon.com
"I was born twice: first, as a baby girl, on a remarkably smogless Detroit day in January of 1960; and then again, as a teenage boy, in an emergency room near Petoskey, Michigan, in August of 1974." And so begins Middlesex, the mesmerizing saga of a near-mythic Greek American family and the "roller-coaster ride of a single gene through time." The odd but utterly believable story of Cal Stephanides, and how this 41-year-old hermaphrodite was raised as Calliope, is at the tender heart of this long-awaited second novel from Jeffrey Eugenides, whose elegant and haunting 1993 debut, The Virgin Suicides, remains one of the finest first novels of recent memory.

Eugenides weaves together a kaleidoscopic narrative spanning 80 years of a stained family history, from a fateful incestuous union in a small town in early 1920s Asia Minor to Prohibition-era Detroit; from the early days of Ford Motors to the heated 1967 race riots; from the tony suburbs of Grosse Pointe and a confusing, aching adolescent love story to modern-day Berlin. Eugenides's command of the narrative is astonishing. He balances Cal/Callie's shifting voices convincingly, spinning this strange and often unsettling story with intelligence, insight, and generous amounts of humor:

Emotions, in my experience aren't covered by single words. I don't believe in "sadness," "joy," or "regret." … I'd like to have at my disposal complicated hybrid emotions, Germanic traincar constructions like, say, "the happiness that attends disaster." Or: "the disappointment of sleeping with one's fantasy." ... I'd like to have a word for "the sadness inspired by failing restaurants" as well as for "the excitement of getting a room with a minibar." I've never had the right words to describe my life, and now that I've entered my story, I need them more than ever.

When you get to the end of this splendorous book, when you suddenly realize that after hundreds of pages you have only a few more left to turn over, you'll experience a quick pang of regret knowing that your time with Cal is coming to a close, and you may even resist finishing it--putting it aside for an hour or two, or maybe overnight--just so that this wondrous, magical novel might never end. --Brad Thomas Parsons

Journal Entry 2 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Monday, April 03, 2006

Great! An enjoyable read from cover to cover.

Journal Entry 3 by brewski at JRT Automotive - 395 Red Maple Rd in Richmond Hill, Ontario Canada on Monday, October 22, 2007

Released 9 yrs ago (10/22/2007 UTC) at JRT Automotive - 395 Red Maple Rd in Richmond Hill, Ontario Canada

On the OBCZ table inside JRT Automotive. Visit the JRT Automotive website or the JRT Automotive OBCZ Bookshelf for more details about this location.

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!) And if you do choose to join, I hope you'll consider using me, brewski, as your referring member.

Journal Entry 4 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Sunday, January 13, 2008

Since this is still sitting here after 3 months, I have reclaimed this book for release elsewhere.

Journal Entry 5 by brewski at Scotiabank, Bay and King in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (1/16/2008 UTC) at Scotiabank, Bay and King in Toronto, Ontario Canada

Left on a bench in the lobby of 44 King St W.