corner corner Dragonsdawn

Dragonsdawn
by Anne McCaffrey | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by brewski of Markham, Ontario Canada on 11/29/2003

status (set by AnonymousFinder): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Saturday, November 29, 2003

This is a hardcover edition.

From Publishers Weekly
Readers who for two decades have been following the fortunes of the dragonriders and other inhabitants of the planet Pern will welcome the latest volume, chronicling the early years. It stands very much on its own, however; knowing about the later history of the planet only adds enjoyment. After 15 years of cold sleep, 6000 colonists land on Pern, seeking a simpler existence, escaping the aftermath of interstellar war and an overly technical society. The colony prospers until the consuming Threada force that destroys all life it comes in contact withmakes its first appearance. A brilliant bio-engineer attempts to develop a biological weapon to save them, a much larger version of a native life form many of the colonists have adopted as pets: dragonets with the ability to teleport and breathe flame after eating phosphoric rock. The book ends with the first successful result of that experiment. Many richly developed characters people the novel, among them two youngsters, Sorka Hanrahan and Sean Connell, who grow up to become two of the first dragonriders. One hopes McCaffrey, who most recently has been writing in the mainstream ( The Lady ), is beginning a new Pern cycle in which she will tell, in answer to many other questions, whatever happened to the intelligent dolphins that came with the humans to Pern.

Journal Entry 2 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Thursday, February 05, 2004

Why haven't I read any of Anne McCaffrey's books before? I've seen them plenty of times, yet this was the first book of hers that I have actually read.

It's funny that sheerly by coincidence I picked up this entry as my introduction to the Pern series which turned out to be an introduction of sorts to the Dragonriders of Pern.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, the writing was excellent and the situations seemed as real-world as can be expected for a SF/Fantasy novel. I will definitely be looking for other Pern novels to read in the future.

Journal Entry 3 by brewski at TD Canada Trust #1277 in Markham, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Released on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at TD Canada Trust #1277 (7085 Woodbine Ave) in Markham, Ontario Canada.

Left at the ATM at around 07:00 this morning.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Friday, October 01, 2004

Found this book where it was left, at the ATM, around 11am, back in May. After I picked it up I became a little worried and almost put it back! Opened the front cover and saw nothing but the map (someone had, quite thoughtfully, put the BCID on the first blank page, next one in, so as not to cover the map! unfortunately, I did not turn the page!) - so I closed the book, took it home, and just today opened it again, 5 months later. I now understand after seeing the inside sticker - looks like a good book and I will read it now... I travel a great deal for work and will bring it somewhere far away, perhaps to San Diego, most likely in a month or 2....

CAUGHT IN MARKHAM ONTARIO CANADA