corner corner The Ghost Writer

The Ghost Writer
by Philip Roth | Literature & Fiction
Registered by gnissorckoob of Miami, Florida USA on 10/12/2003

status (set by dianemdo): available

Journal Entry 1 by gnissorckoob from Miami, Florida USA on Sunday, October 12, 2003

From the author of Portnoy's Complaint and Goodbye Columbus.

Journal Entry 2 by gnissorckoob at Second Chance Consignment - 12105 S. Dixie Hwy. in Miami, Florida USA on Friday, October 24, 2003

Released on Friday, October 24, 2003 at Second Chance Consignment - 12105 S. Dixie Hwy. in Miami, Florida USA.

OOoooooo.
HALLOWEEN RELEASE

Not really a scare book, just a Halloweeny title.
Second Chance is a great costume store, especially this time of year. Release will be late afternoon (after school), either in the store or just outside.

Update --later: Hmm, the store has moved temprarily to 14197 S. Dixie Hwy and now there is a Halloween "Phobia House" where the store was. Oooooooo. Released in the new store, among the accessories.

Journal Entry 3 by dianemdo from Hazlet, New Jersey USA on Sunday, November 30, 2003

I found this book in a Miami costume shop while visiting the area. I haven't, as yet, read it, but plan to read it and then send it into the wilds of New Jersey...

Journal Entry 4 by dianemdo from Hazlet, New Jersey USA on Monday, April 26, 2004

I haven't gotten around to finishing this one, so I figured I would send it back out into the world. Part of me wants to send it into the wild since it was the book that strated me off as a Bookcrosser, but instead, I am offering it at CasualReader's BookRelay. I hope someone else enjoys it. Bon voyage!

From back cover:

"The Ghost Writer" introduces Nathan Zuckerman in the 1950s, a budding writer infatuated with the Great Books, discovering the contradictory claims of literature and experience while an overnight guest in the secluded New England farmhouse of his literary idol, E.I. Lonoff.

At Lonoff's, Zuckerman meets Amy Bellette, a haunting young woman of indeterminate foreign background who turns out to be a former student of Lonoff's and who may also have been his mistress. Zuckerman wonders if she could be the paradigmatic victim of Nazi persecution. If she were, it might change his life.

The first volume of the trilogy and epilogue "Zuckerman Bound," "The Ghost Writer" is about the tensions between literature and life, artistic truthfulness and conventional decency--and about those implacable practitioners who live with the consequences of sacrificing one for the other.