corner corner Beyond the Call of Duty: Heart-warming stories of canine devotion and bravery

Beyond the Call of Duty: Heart-warming stories of canine devotion and bravery
by Isabel George | Pets & Animals
Registered by foxyfiona1986 of Swindon, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 29, 2012

status (set by Abi-Gibby): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by foxyfiona1986 from Swindon, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 29, 2012

This book is a collection of stories of brave heroic dogs past and present. It is broken down into 5 stories of 5 very different dogs but all with the same drive and devotion for their own and his fellow soldier friends. Boasting morale in the bleakest times during and sensing enemy fire and IED's before any home can.There is many dogs out there who have these loyal brave qualities and it nice too see a book that commends the dogs of the hardship of war that they go through as they are the unsung heroes.

This book I bought from my favorite charity called Nowzad. Nowzad are mentioned in this book but I didn't know this when I got it. This charity is founded by Pen Farthing who is a ex Royal Marine Commando who is helping today's soldiers bring home their fellow dogs/cats back home from Afghanistan or Iraq. He also trying to improve the relationship and welfare between men and woman in Afghanistan and Iraq. Which is where they are seen as "dirty" and as a fighting tool too gain money not a friend or allie.

Journal Entry 2 by foxyfiona1986 at Innsbruck, Tirol Austria on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (4/2/2012 UTC) at Innsbruck, Tirol Austria

Hi Princess Rainbow! Hope you like this book and the Skittles!

Journal Entry 3 by PrincessRainbow at Innsbruck, Tirol Austria on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

4 April 2012: The book and the rainbow sweets arrived today. I got them as a "Mad March Exchange". Thank you.

16 May 2016: I finally read the book. It impressed me how much the brave dogs did for the humans. But it was also disturbing to read about the horrors of the different wars. Talking of that I also learned something about the wars - and how precious peace is and how lucky I am to live in a peaceful country.

Blurb: Meet "Smoky", the Yorkshire Terrier who saved 250 American soldiers from being bombed by the enemy in the 2nd World War.
And British Army Arms and Explosives dog, "Treo", who was awarded the animal´s Victoria Cross for his lifesaving actions in Afghanistan.
And "Antis", the German Shepherd that was rescued as a puppy from the rubble of a French farmhouse before becoming an invaluable war companion to his saviour.
Plus 2 more devoted dogs from around the world, who have displayed incredible traits of courage and love as they accompanied man into battle.

Journal Entry 4 by PrincessRainbow at Zirl, Tirol Austria on Monday, May 23, 2016

Released 6 mos ago (5/23/2016 UTC) at Zirl, Tirol Austria

I made a little parcel for the "Export an Animal - Sweepstakes". It contains this books and some other little things that have to do with animals. The parcel is on the way to the winner Abi-Gibby (UK).

Journal Entry 5 by wingAbi-Gibbywing at Millbrook, Cornwall United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Also for the
Caramel
Biscuits
Stickers
Keyring

Journal Entry 6 by wingAbi-Gibbywing at Secret Sunset Mission: Animal Theme in -- wild released somewhere in Cornwall, Cornwall United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Released 5 mos ago (6/10/2016 UTC) at Secret Sunset Mission: Animal Theme in -- wild released somewhere in Cornwall, Cornwall United Kingdom

OMG what a fantastic book, it's truly remarkable how much a dog can be so amazing and smart and awsome. I needed my box of tissues when I was reading this book trust me i really did.

I will be wild releasing this book as part of the secret sunset mission which has an animal theme to it on 10th June 2016

Congratulations, you have picked up a travelling book!
Happy reading!

Not sure what to do? Follow these steps!

2) Make a journal entry on this book to let us know how you found it!