corner corner Italian Tales

Italian Tales
by Henry James | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingedithdollwing of Winthrop, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, March 25, 2012

status (set by amyem): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingedithdollwing from Winthrop, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, March 25, 2012

I've only attempted one Henry James' novel, The Bostonians, which I had difficulty with, so when I saw this volume of tales set in Italy I thought the subject manner and format would be better for me. I did enjoy these novellas--I thought they really were more of that vs. short stories. As I said at a recent Boston Bookcrossing meetup re: James -- He's not Dickens but the sentences are long. And some are beautiful and even funny and that sort of dark and ironic way. I think this is a good first book if you are reading Henry James however, not exactly light fare i.e., summer reading. Reserved for the next meet up of Boston Bookcrossers!

Journal Entry 2 by amyem at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Greedily grabbed at the July Boston Bookcrossers Meetup. I've read the Aspern Papers but look forward to the other two.

Journal Entry 3 by amyem at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Monday, August 27, 2012

Henry James seems to bring more of a strong reaction than some of the others in the Victorian cannon but I've always enjoyed reading him. These were no exception, they evoked all the feelings I had traveling in Italy. Diary of a Man of Fifty was more typically Jamesian, Travelling Companions a lighter read but I enjoyed both very much.

Journal Entry 4 by amyem at CfA Book Sharing Shelf in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (8/28/2012 UTC) at CfA Book Sharing Shelf in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

Releasing to my work book sharing shelf

Journal Entry 5 by amyem at Algiers, 40 Brattle Street, Harvard Sq. in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (12/12/2012 UTC) at Algiers, 40 Brattle Street, Harvard Sq. in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

Planned for release at December 2012 Boston Bookcrossers Meetup