corner corner Black Baby

Black Baby
by Clare Boylan | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by Roxy4 of Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on 3/19/2012

status (set by chawoso): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Roxy4 from Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, March 19, 2012

Reserved for the bookcrossing convention in Dublin, 13th-14th april 2012.

Journal Entry 2 by Roxy4 at Camden Court Hotel in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (4/13/2012 UTC) at Camden Court Hotel in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland

To be released at the Anniversary Bookcrossing Convention in the Camden Court Hotel in Dublin, April 2012.

Hello finder!
welcome to the wonderful world of bookcrossing! this book is now yours, you can keep it forever or you can re-release it again in a public place or give to a friend. Either way, please let the previous owners know what you thought of the book and what you intend to do with it by writing a short journal entry. You don't have to join bookcrossing to write an entry.

Bookcrossing is free, anonymous and fun! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingolagoriewing at Oberursel, Hessen Germany on Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I got this book at the wonderful, amazing, astonishing, astounding,
awe-inspiring, awesome, brilliant, cool, divine, extraordinary, fabulous, groovy, incredible, magnificent, marvelous, miraculous, outstanding, phenomenal, sensational, staggering, superb, terrific Convention in Dublin.

It was great to see you!

Journal Entry 4 by wingolagoriewing at Oberursel, Hessen Germany on Thursday, May 03, 2012

I have already finished this very nicely written book with a rather unusual story.

As a child Alice had paid the nuns half a crown to adopt a black baby from the mission in Africa - a baby that never appeared. Now a loveless spinster of sixty-seven, still yearning for a daughter, Alice's life is one of dull predictability, unbroken by the ritual visit from her middle-aged relatives. Then one evening Dinah storms into her home. Bawdy, busty and black, enigmatic friend to the wayward and eccentric, Dinah is about to take on Dublin and transform Alice's life - creating a world of unlimited love and miraculous possibilities...

Clare Boylan (21 April 1948 – 16 May 2006) was an Irish author, journalist and critic for newspapers, magazines and many international broadcast media. She was born in Dublin, and began her career as a journalist at the Irish Press. In 1974 she won the Journalist of the Year award when working in the city for the Evening Press. Later in her career she edited the glossy magazine Image, before largely giving up journalism to focus on a career as an author. Her novels are Holy Pictures (1983), Last Resorts (1984), Black Baby (1988), Home Rule (1992), Beloved Stranger (1999), Room for a Single Lady (1997) (which won the Spirit of Light Award and was optioned for a film) and Emma Brown (2003).

It has very interesting turns and twists, the naive Alice and the shrewd Dinah. Dinah breathes new life into Alice's dull existence. Never mind that Dinah is a fraud, which becomes clear to the reader already after a few chapters. (Where is Bixton, by the way?).
The loneliness of old age is portrayed in a throat-catching way. But the author also writes with a lot of humor.

The passages when the Irish nuns in Africa are being described (the smell of carbolic soap) reminds me of the wonderful author talk, where nuns were very prominent ;-)

But ... I really did not understand the end of the book. Well, the Alice part I think I do, but not the Dinah part.

Thank you very much for this book!

Counts for Ireland.

Journal Entry 5 by wingolagoriewing at Krua Thai, Jordanstr. 10, Bockenheim in Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (5/8/2012 UTC) at Krua Thai, Jordanstr. 10, Bockenheim in Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany

Journal Entry 6 by wingny-nolwing at Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Caught at the Frankfurt Meetup 8th May 2012 at the Restaurant Krua Thai. - After reading this book I still don't know if I like it or not. Definitely an unusual book, there are funny situations, desperate parts and the differences between Dinah and Alice, both having a difficult past.

Journal Entry 7 by wingny-nolwing at Dionysos im Schönhof in Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Monday, August 13, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (8/14/2012 UTC) at Dionysos im Schönhof in Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany

Release at the Frankfurt (Main) Meet-up at the restaurant Dyonisos (Schoenhof).

Hope you found it. Enjoy your reading. A journal entry would be nice und please release the book again after reading.

Viel Spass beim Lesen. Über eine Journaleintrag würde ich mich freuen. Bitte das Buch nach dem Lesen wieder freilassen.

Journal Entry 8 by wingwildboarhunterwing at Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Thursday, August 16, 2012

Met it at the Meetup, again. Sounds strange and funny, so I took it home with me. Hope to be able to read it soon.

20.12.12: I loved that book. Very emotional it made me sad and happy at the same time. Must be terrible to "wake up" at 67 to have lived your life entirely with and for your parents, emerging out of this in loneliness.
My grandma died in August. I had to think of her a lot...

Journal Entry 9 by wingwildboarhunterwing at Meetup Frankfurt in Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (1/8/2013 UTC) at Meetup Frankfurt in Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany

Kommt heute mit zum Meetup im Paulaner am Dom. Gute Reise! :-)

Journal Entry 10 by wingchawosowing at Heusenstamm, Hessen Germany on Monday, January 14, 2013

Picked it up at our last Meetup in Frankfurt.

Journal Entry 11 by wingchawosowing at Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz de la Sierra Bolivia on Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (5/18/2013 UTC) at Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz de la Sierra Bolivia

Lecture on my vacacions in Bolivia. Nice litte book.

Now it will rest a little while in Santa Cruz. Some volonteers haven´t enough books to read ...