corner corner Faerie Tale

by Raymond E. Feist | Horror
Registered by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Friday, October 10, 2003

status (set by Flut3Girl): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Friday, October 10, 2003

well, i'm giving this away (or at least i plan to) because i don't like it, though others might. i categorized it as horror, because it tries to be immensely scary, which it isn't really. the back says 'fiction/fantasy & horror' which is a better description, i'd say.

before i launch into my description of the content and my review, i'd like to point out that the overall writing and storyline, etc. reminds me very much of the only stephen king book i managed to read to the end: needful things. i didn't like that one very much, either, but the two compare well. imagine faerie tale as an ever so slightly less gory story in the vein of needful things, which helps make room for character depth, but that's about it. if you like king, i'm quite certain you can enjoy this book - i don't and couldn't.

anyway. it's about an author and movie script writer who moves out of the bustling city with his family to some old farm, only to discover step by step the ancient and mythical history of the place he's moved to. some of the ancient forces trick him into freeing them... and horror and pain is unleashed on his family.

while written well enough, and with a lot of attention to character detail, the book is extraordinary predictive and blatant in it's use of 'horrific' or 'erotic' elements. makes it quite boring. while the tension builds up moderately well (mostly due to the fact that you want the crap to end, not because of the obvious effort of the author), it's shattered into mind-numbing boredom in the climatic end scenes, where everything that could have possibly made the plot more predictive and stupid has been included. yawn.

well, if you want to pick it up, i'll release it in the near future.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Thursday, May 27, 2004

sent it off to Marlene-TC

Journal Entry 3 by CrazyDutchwoman from Heemstede, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, May 29, 2004

Hi Mine arrived today also! I am very happy.
Thanks that you were willing to trade with me. i hope you will enjoy the book by Doris Lessing.

I,ll let you know if I like this book or agree with you.

Journal Entry 4 by CrazyDutchwoman from Heemstede, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, June 17, 2004

Well i am reading this right now.
I did not know what to expect , did not want to know, (that's why i did not read the book description)
What I hoped for was a horror book and maybe it is, but stories about leprechaurns and fairies I am not sure if I will finish this book.

I wanted to read this cause my yahoo group picked this one to read for this month but I have so many other books tbr more my ordinairy genre
(learned a lesson : I only participate in reading books with a mailing group If I own the book or I really want to read it myself. :-)

Journal Entry 5 by CrazyDutchwoman from Heemstede, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, June 20, 2004

three days ago when I wrote my last journal entry I decided I would quit but after I read somebody giving a tip, try to give each book a 100 pages, I decided to give it another chance., I had only read 86 I am happy that I did cause while reading I really got into the book and I finished it very fast.
I did enjoy the book after all, even though it is not my normal genre.
it turned out to be a thrilling book in the end.
I am happy that I decided to read more. thanks

Journal Entry 6 by CrazyDutchwoman at By Mail in Marlene's English Books BookBox, Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Released on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 at By Mail in Marlene's English Books BookBox, Bookbox Controlled Releases.

will go in the English Book Box

Journal Entry 7 by wing1972Galadrielwing from Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, July 10, 2004

Taken from the English Bookboxray of Marlene-TC. How could I resist this one..hehe

Journal Entry 8 by wing1972Galadrielwing from Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, January 07, 2005

I started reading in this book a couple of times now..each time I could not keep my attention to it. Now i will release it at the next BC meeting in january..

Journal Entry 9 by wing1972Galadrielwing at OBCZ Café Averechts in Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Friday, January 21, 2005

Released 9 yrs ago (1/23/2005 UTC) at OBCZ Café Averechts in Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands

Voor de liefhebber.

Journal Entry 10 by 5p1k3 from Nijkerk, Gelderland Netherlands on Sunday, January 23, 2005

Mee genomen van de meeting in Averechts (Utrecht)

Journal Entry 11 by 5p1k3 at OBCZ De Albatros in Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, June 25, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (6/25/2006 UTC) at OBCZ De Albatros in Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Niet aan toegekomen om dit boek te lezen, wegens tijdgebrek. Ik ga een wat makkelijker boek in het engels zoeken, waar ik wel wat tijd voor vrij kan maken.

For those who dont understand dutch ;-) I Took it with me from Cafe Averechts and now I will let it go again free in Castricum. The reason: I dont have time to read these kind of books at the moment. Reading english is not my best part ;) So I will search for an easier book to read.

Journal Entry 12 by malagan from Arnhem, Gelderland Netherlands on Sunday, June 25, 2006

Took this from the meeting for Mr. Malagan

Journal Entry 13 by malagan at Post Office in By Mail, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, October 07, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (10/4/2006 UTC) at Post Office in By Mail, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases

Sent as rabck to one of my bookrelay friends in the US... Enjoy!

Journal Entry 14 by krin511 from Olney, Maryland USA on Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Arrived today - thanks!

Journal Entry 15 by krin511 at Panera at 1780 East Jefferson Street in Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, October 28, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (10/28/2007 UTC) at Panera at 1780 East Jefferson Street in Rockville, Maryland USA

I had an extra copy of this book, so I released it today at a Bookcrossing Meetup. Whoever takes this book home, enjoy - and please journal it. You can be anonymous, if you'd like!

Journal Entry 16 by wingmelydiawing from Centreville, Virginia USA on Sunday, October 28, 2007

Picked this one up today at the local BookCrossing meet at Panera in Rockville, Maryland. I had a wonderful time, as usual. My TBR pile really doesn't need any new additions, but it looks really cool.

Edit: how in the heck is this book registered by AnonymousFinder?

Journal Entry 17 by CrazyDutchwoman from Heemstede, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, April 10, 2008

Hi Melydia. I just now noticed your question. Was looking which books I had read in 2004 when I looked at this journal and you see this book was registered by anonymous finder.
I remember this guy was from Germany.
To answer your question...

The other way books make it onto this shelf (anonymousfinder shelf) happen on those rare occasions when someone has decided to leave the BookCrossing Community and has asked for Support to delete their virtual bookshelf. All books registered by or journaled on by that particular member no longer reflect their screen name (which has been deleted from the data base at their request) but switch to AnonymousFinder.

Okay. Now I hope you write a new JE otherwise it looks that I have caught this book and it is on my shelf. :) Enjoy the read :)
It has travelled quite a lot.

Journal Entry 18 by wingmelydiawing from Centreville, Virginia USA on Thursday, April 10, 2008

Ah ha! That makes sense. Thanks! :)

Edit 13 July 2008: I read this book, then stuck it in the bookbox before journaling it.

In a nutshell, this is the story of a man who moves to the country and discovers there are supernatural beasties living on his property. In this case, the beasties are faeries straight out of Celtic myth. It felt a bit contrived, but some visuals were reasonably compelling. Parts of it are a bit dated (MRI was in its infancy, for example) and the characters were mostly a touch flat. I did like Gary and Mark quite a bit, but - though it would have been completely unheard-of at the time - they would have worked better as a couple than merely coworkers. All the same, I probably won't go out of my way to read more Feist.

Journal Entry 19 by crrcookie from Tecumseh, Oklahoma USA on Sunday, July 13, 2008

This book is passing through my hands while in melydia's BookCrossing Meetup BookBox

Journal Entry 20 by H2Omelons from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, July 13, 2008

I caught this book at the Audubon BookCrossers' Club (ABXC) meeting at Panera Bread. We had the pleasure of not only increasing our numbers by 3 new members but we also had the rare privilege of being visited by "BC in DC" - the Washington DC area BookCrossers' Club. It was great having them with us and we hope to make this a regularly recurring exchange with us visiting them as much as they visit us.

Journal Entry 21 by H2Omelons at Panera Bread in Audubon, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, May 06, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (5/6/2012 UTC) at Panera Bread in Audubon, Pennsylvania USA

Look for this book at the Audubon BookCrossers' monthly meeting.

If you are in the greater Philadelphia area the first Sunday of the month, please join the Audubon BookCrossers at Panera Bread in Audubon (Norristown) PA.

Visit our group page at: groups.yahoo.com/group/abxc/

Journal Entry 22 by Flut3Girl at Audubon, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, June 29, 2012

Picked up at the June ABXC meeting.