corner corner Picnic at Hanging Rock

Picnic at Hanging Rock
by Joan Lindsay | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by D-face of Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, March 15, 2012

status (set by cordelia-anne): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by D-face from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, March 15, 2012

While Joan Lindsay's haunting Australian classic Picnic at Hanging Rock is a work of fiction, the story is often considered one of Australia's greatest mysteries.

In 1900, a class of young women from an exclusive private school go on an excursion to the isolated Hanging Rock, deep in the Australian bush. The excursion ends in tragedy when three girls and a teacher mysteriously vanish after climbing the rock. Only one girl returns, with no memory of what has become of the others...

Journal Entry 2 by D-face at Agriculture, Fisheries & Forestry in Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, March 15, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (3/15/2012 UTC) at Agriculture, Fisheries & Forestry in Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia

Animal Division book exchange

Journal Entry 3 by D-face at Old Parliament House in Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (3/31/2012 UTC) at Old Parliament House in Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia

Canberra BookCrossing meet up

Journal Entry 4 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, March 31, 2012

I picked this book up at the book-meet at Old Parliament House, Parkes, ACT. Thank you D-face.

Photograph: Old Parliament House.

Journal Entry 5 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, April 14, 2012

An enjoyable read. I did feel sorry for the headmistress trying to make a living in a male world, although I suspected that the author had it in for headmistresses. The story reads as if the story is a real event, while it is actually fiction. The last chapter which explained the mystery was removed apparently at the suggestion of the publisher. However it was published years later and points to a supernatural explanation. The movie – one of my all time favourites – alludes to this and is better for it.

Bookray
List:
gaboyd (NZ)
TracyR (UK) Skipped, didn't reply to PMs.
iiwi (Netherlands)
ahabraken (Austria)
sedna5213 (France)
Bookworm-lady (Spain)
penelopewanders (Switzerland)
souram (Switzerland)
hyphen8 (USA)
Llednyl (USA)
Rumomma (USA) Skipped, deactivated account.
josierivers (USA)
Askeladda (Norway)
Gealach (Sweden)
Scruffykaz (UK) Asked to be skipped

cordelia-anne (USA) <- - - here

This has been a good Bookray, with lots of interest, but I re advertised and didn't get any more takers, so sadly this Bookray ends here. Cordelia-anne, feel free to start another bookray, put this in a book box, RABCK, or if all else fails, wild release.

Journal Entry 6 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Monday, April 23, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (4/23/2012 UTC) at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia

I posted the book airmail to Gaboyd in NZ today. The book was small enough to go letter-rate and with packaging weighed 150 grams, so it was cheap to post. Ideal for a bookray.
I hope you enjoy the read.

Journal Entry 7 by gaboyd at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Thanks. Recieved today, in the post.

Journal Entry 8 by gaboyd at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (8/28/2012 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Released while at the Post Office.

Journal Entry 9 by wingiiwiwing at Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Received today!

Journal Entry 10 by wingiiwiwing at Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Tuesday, November 06, 2012

The essence of this book is a mystery that isn't cleared up in any way. There are all sorts of supernatural hints in the story, time standing still, ticking clocks, the rock, the dreams.
As the mystery isn't solved in any way, you can paste your own feelings on it. For me this book was about ending and starting again on all kinds of levels. The disappearing of the girls is for everyone a benchmark, the moment they have to get to grips with themselves, to start over again. The book is about the loss of youth, the starting of adulthood with all the tensions of being a child but having to be grown-up, the love and beginning sexuality. But it is also the end of the kingdom of England in a foreign country, getting it's own culture and isn't English anymore, but still having a connection with the mother country. Everything begins and ends at exactly the right time and place.

Journal Entry 11 by wingiiwiwing at Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Some bookpages fell out the book during reading. I taped it as good as I could for further reading.

I bought the deluxe movie edition DVD while reading this. I have to watch it tonight and I will put the DVD with this book and the DVD with the extras, including an interview with Joan Lindsay.

Journal Entry 12 by wingiiwiwing at Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Sent to ahabraken today, with a all region copy of the DVD of Picnic at Hanging rock and the DVD with extras.

I thought it interesting to see the movie so short after I read the book. So I could see some of the changes to make text into picture. So is the speech about people being ants from Miranda on the rock gone, but are there a couple of takes of walking ants on the ground and food, and is the speech of the mathematicians teacher about going back over the hypotenuse also gone, but is she looking in a mathbook with a triangle on it.

Journal Entry 13 by ahabraken at Innsbruck, Tirol Austria on Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Arrived safely with me, the next reader!

Journal Entry 14 by wingsedna5213wing at Wasquehal, Nord-Pas-de-Calais France on Monday, December 31, 2012

The book just arrived here. Looking forward to reading it! Seen the movie twice.

Happy New Year 2013!

Certainly a good read!

Journal Entry 15 by wingsedna5213wing at Charlottenburg, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (1/14/2013 UTC) at Charlottenburg, Berlin Germany

The book is travelling to Spain. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 16 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Received together with the DVD, a lovely postcard and cute little angel.
Thank you, Sedna5213!
And thanks, Goldenwattle, for sharing!
Looking forward to reading it... and watching the film again. :)

Journal Entry 17 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, April 04, 2013

Currently reading it, and I won't take long.
I will ask for Penelopewander's address.

Journal Entry 18 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Sunday, April 14, 2013

Beautifully written, an absolutely classic novel, and worth reading... or re-reading it.
Thank you, jiwi,it was a great idea to include the DVD; as you say, it was perfect to watch after reading the novel.
Basically an unresoveld mystery, the writer refused to provide any clues when asked, and stated that each reader should make their own mind about what really happened. She was also adamant about not providing information about whether it was a real-life story... probably not, but this made for great marketing!
The characters are true-to-life and the plot is compelling: a group of girls forced to behave (and dress!) as English schoolgirls in a scorching-hot Summer and in the middle of the Australian wilderness. Something was bound to happen.
The imposing Hanging Rock (see pic) becomes a character in itself, with all its caves and hidden places...
As I said, a real page-turner, and a compelling read; I would love to read the final chapter, mentioned by Goldenwattle, which was published years later as "The Secret of Hanging Rock".
Thanks for sharing both the books and the DVDs.
I will soon send it on to Penelopewanders; I have another book for which she is next in line, and so I will send them together.

Journal Entry 19 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Friday, May 10, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (5/10/2013 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent today to Penelopewanders, in Switzerland, with its DVDs and two "bookray companions".
Enjoy!!

Journal Entry 20 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Wow, never rains but it pours... I thought I was being reasonable, but in past few days six different rings have arrived! Most are pretty quick reads, but a few are slower going. Some I signed up for recently, but some I signed up so long ago I didn't even expect them to arrive anymore. I'll do my best to get them out within a month, but apologize if I don't make it.
This one is exciting - I saw the film decades ago, and so was curious to read the book. Now the addition of the DVD to the parcel means I can see the film again - thanks so very much!
I see others have commented that the book has been taped - I think it had a rough ride up from Spain as it arrived in two parts. As best as I can tell all the pages are there and each section seems intact, but this book is a bit travel worn.
Thanks for making it, and the DVD available, and thanks bookworm-lady for sending (and for including the lovely treats)!

Journal Entry 21 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Monday, June 03, 2013

I had seen the film of this book many years ago and remember being quite moved by the eeriness (sp?) of the story. When I saw it offered as a ring I couldn't resist. The film has been included in the parcel, so now that I've read it I can't wait to see the film again - perhaps this coming weekend. The atmosphere and characters are so well-described and so clear, even though it's really a very little book. Unfortunately this copy has begun to show its travel-weariness. An excellent read.
I am PMing for the next address.

Journal Entry 22 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Monday, June 24, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (6/24/2013 UTC) at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland

I'm terribly sorry to have kept this book so long - it was a very quick read, but it took me a bit longer to organize the viewing of the DVD. I ended up watching it with a group of teenagers - I wasn't sure if they would appreciate it, and they chafed a bit at the beginning, but a few days later they mentioned how intriguing they had found it. How clever to have included the film with the book, it was a treat to see it again.
This is now leaving the central Swiss Alps for Geneva. I don't know how much longer the book will be able to journey as it seems about to begin shedding pages. So far they're all there and more or less attached. Thanks so very much for making this book and film available and sending.

Journal Entry 23 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

I found the book in a small parcel in my mail box this evening, at the end of a very busy day.

Journal Entry 24 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Thursday, June 27, 2013

I started reading the book 3 days ago. I like this mystery. Hanging Rock really exists (Mount Diogenes) in Central Victoria.

Journal Entry 25 by wingsouramwing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Thursday, July 04, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (7/5/2013 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Sent to hyphen8.

Bravo, vous avez emmené ce livre vers une nouvelle vie ! Si c'est une "première" pour vous, votre propre vie est également devenue un peu nouvelle, elle aussi...

Dites en bref ce que vous imaginez faire de ce livre.
Vous pouvez rester anonyme pour ça, si vous préférez.

Si vous voulez faire comme moi, libérer des livres, vous devez les enregistrer ici sur www.bookcrossing.com. Là, il faut être inscrit, membre. C’est ouvert à tout le monde; pas mal, non ? Qu'est-ce qui est ouvert à tout le monde de nos jours ?

Faire voyager des livres, en libérer par ex. à un arrêt de bus, ou sur un banc, apprendre ce qu'ils deviennent, fait ressembler le bookcrossing à un jeu géant à effets multiples, rencontres d’autres bookcorsaires/bookcrossers, participation à des MBC (MegaBookCrossings, libérations massives de livres à plusieurs dans une ville choisie) découverte de livres, jeux, défis BC, etc. Un exemple de MegaBookCrossing ou MBC: Le MBC d'Aix-les-Bains

Ne craignez ni pluie, ni neige, ni grêle, on peut relâcher un livre emballé dans un sachet à zip pour aliments par ex. (prenez le modèle le plus grand).

Savoir plus ?
Site bookcrossing.com, forums inclus, Site Watch, Français (forum 17), site Bookcrossing Romandie http://forum.bookcrossingromandie.ch, page FB du Bookcrossing. Voyez les livres que j’ai libérés sur http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/souram également.

Journal Entry 26 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Well, this book took its time getting here: mailed July 5 and received August 13! (I'm jealous: I wish the US still had international surface mail.)

I'm in the middle of another book right now, but I should be able to start this in a few days.

The book definitely needs special care: it's going to be a "read at home, sitting in a chair" book as opposed to one that can travel around with me (so that I can make sure that nothing gets lost!).

The pages have separated from the cover completely and are in several bunches, but it looks like they're all here. I'll see if maybe I can do a little repair work before I pass it on. (Larger photo here.)

Thanks for sharing this with me.

Journal Entry 27 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Monday, August 19, 2013

This book has a lot of mileage on it, and it shows: I started reading the book, but it was too distracting to deal with all the loose pieces and worry about losing them. I ended up doing a repair job (with acid-free, water-soluble glue & acid-free paper for what it's worth) just so I could read it in peace! (Larger photo here.)

Hopefully now it will stay together for a while: long enough for the other people in the ray, at least. On the other hand, I suspect it may weigh a bit more now; I'll try to put the new weight in a journal entry before I send it on again.

Journal Entry 28 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Monday, August 19, 2013

Thank you hyphen8 for all the work in repairing the book. It looks great now. I haven't advertised this ray lately because of the reports on the book's state. I was hoping that it would make it to the end of the present list of readers. I will still wait until it reaches the last person and then get a report on the book's condition before considering opening the ray to more readers. Thank you again.
Do you repair many books? It looks a good job.

Journal Entry 29 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, August 25, 2013

I had never seen the movie or read the book - it just sounded interesting when I saw the notice in the forum, so I decided to sign up. I'm glad I did.

I enjoyed reading the book, and seeing the movie right afterwards definitely added another dimension. The text refers to the William Ford painting, and I can see the similarities to the picnic scenes in the film.

This was my first time trying a book repair this extensive, and I was rather nervous about it, but the poor thing really wasn't fit to travel any more so I felt obligated to do something. I read it after reassembling it, and all the pages seem to be secure for now.

The book and the two DVDs come out to about 6.8 oz (a little less than 200 grams) without packaging.

I've sent a PM to Llednyl for an address so this should be moving on again soon.

Journal Entry 30 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (8/26/2013 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Book & DVDs mailed to Llednyl today; safe travels, little book!

Journal Entry 31 by Llednyl at Richwood, Ohio USA on Sunday, September 15, 2013

Arrived yesterday - lovely repair job, hyphen8! I'll read it very gingerly :-)

Have another book ahead of this one, but should be able to get to it fairly soon. Looking forward to it and the movie!

Journal Entry 32 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Llednyl reported that Rumomma's account has been deactivated. Posting to Europe is too expensive, so I have re-advertised the book in the hope we will get more readers and someone who can mail from the USA. It would be good to get a few more people to admire hyphen8's book mending. Otherwise the bookray will end here. Still I'm sure someone else will get to see the book mending, even with a wild release.
Fingers crossed, so to speak, we get more readers, and one of them in the USA who can mail internationally.

Journal Entry 33 by Llednyl at Richwood, Ohio USA on Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Really enjoyed this book! Very mysterious and atmospheric. The ambiguity reminded me a little of The Turn of the Screw, but Lindsay's writing is much more coherent than James'. Also fun to watch the movie! Interesting to see the choices the filmmaker made. My only complaint was that the girls' voices were so odd and high pitched it was distracting!

This is now on its way to the next reader (sent first class on 10/15/13).

Journal Entry 34 by wingjosieriverswing at Leesville, South Carolina USA on Friday, October 18, 2013

Arrived safely today. Thank you

Journal Entry 35 by wingjosieriverswing at Leesville, South Carolina USA on Sunday, October 27, 2013

First, let me say that the book looks wonderful Hyphen8! Great job! I didn't realize 'til reading the previous journal entries that you had repaired it as you can't tell from looking at it.

This was a really good read... The "domino effect" of the events at the picnic, how they affected the other characters was very well done, with just enough information, yet ambiguous enough to keep you wondering.

I passed on watching the movie as I really haven't the time just now and didn't want to hold up the ring, I know there are others that have been waiting for a while.

I have packed the book and dvds and will mail out tomorrow to Fifna in Netherlands.
Thank you for the opportunity to read this book!

Journal Entry 36 by wingjosieriverswing at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, October 27, 2013

Released 12 mos ago (10/28/2013 UTC) at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On it's way to Fifna in the Netherlands.
Happy Readings!

Journal Entry 37 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, November 08, 2013

Arrived safely, thanks josierivers! And well done on the repair job, hyphen8!

Journal Entry 38 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, December 21, 2013

Wonderful writing, great atmosphere of mystery. I enjoyed this very much. And of course I had to look up some pictures of Hanging Rock - as a previous reader said it's a character in itself. Thanks for sharing, goldenwattle, and thanks for adding the DVD, iiwi. I will watch it in the next couple of days or so while I wait for the next address.

Journal Entry 39 by wingFifnawing at Dalfsen, Overijssel Netherlands on Saturday, January 25, 2014

Released 9 mos ago (1/25/2014 UTC) at Dalfsen, Overijssel Netherlands

On its way to motherof11!

Journal Entry 40 by wingmotherof11wing at Dalfsen, Overijssel Netherlands on Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The book arrived safely today. Thanks, Fifna! I'm really looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 41 by wingmotherof11wing at Dalfsen, Overijssel Netherlands on Sunday, February 02, 2014

A really great story! I enjoyed reading it very much!

Journal Entry 42 by wingmotherof11wing at Dalfsen, Overijssel Netherlands on Tuesday, February 11, 2014

This book goes off to sarahmangan. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! I didn't watch the movie (I don't like movies made from books, at least not if you also read the book).

Journal Entry 43 by wingsarahmanganwing at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 18, 2014

This book and DVD arrived yesterday - thank you! It's still all in one piece too!

I have a book club book and a ray ahead of this but as I'm not at work this week I should get round to this one fairly quickly - it looks very interesting!

Journal Entry 44 by wingsarahmanganwing at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Sunday, March 02, 2014

I finished this last week but hadn't had time to journal it! A quick and quite interesting read but the lack of resolution annoyed me a bit and I didn't really like the writer's style. That's probably just me though - supernatural explanations often leave me frustrated whereas I know lots of people like that. I liked the characters of Irma and the poor little girl no-one liked! The part in the gym where the girls turn on Irma was the best part of the book in my opinion - really disturbing. I should be able to watch the DVD fairly soon and get it off to the next reader by the end of the week.

Thanks again for including me in this ray.

Journal Entry 45 by wingsarahmanganwing at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, March 08, 2014

Just a quick update: I'm still waiting for jotka's address. I'll send it on as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 46 by wingsarahmanganwing at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Jotka has asked to be skipped. I pm'd the next on the list several days ago bit no reply... Will try again!

Journal Entry 47 by wingsarahmanganwing at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 21, 2014

Released 7 mos ago (3/20/2014 UTC) at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom

Finally posted off yesterday!

Journal Entry 48 by wingAskeladdawing at Skien, Telemark fylke Norway on Friday, March 28, 2014

Thank you for sending the book Sarahmangan, the envelope had been sligthly damaged during travelling, but book - and a CD with ekstras(!) - arrived safely. Allways exciting to meet with a book that has allready travelled a long journey to get here. I will never see countries this book has travelled throught, but we can read the same stories. I like the thought of that. Looking forward to read it.

Ps. A special Thanks to hyphen8 for repairing the book! There was a Hole in the envelope when the book arrived, but the book is not damaged, I wasn't aware of the book beeing so fundamentally repaired until I did a quick read of this thread. Looks like every page and cover is quite OK and ready for many a new reader still to come... Thank's a lot!

Journal Entry 49 by wingAskeladdawing at Skien, Telemark fylke Norway on Saturday, April 19, 2014

A mystic story! I really enjoyed the film and the interview with the author, which I saw after reading the book. Great to see what the nature were like! The film managed to keep the underlying feeling from the book, that there is a kind of mysterious athmosphere around. I think I liked the film better than the book, because it was more "thight". Without the film I give the book 6 stars, with the film, witch helped me to understand more of the book, I will give one more star.
Thank you for including the film! Great idea!g

Journal Entry 50 by wingAskeladdawing at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, April 19, 2014

Released 6 mos ago (4/19/2014 UTC) at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On to the next reader! Enjoy!

Til deg som finner boka sier jeg: velkommen til bookcrossing!
Takk for at du tok vare på boka!

Skriv gjerne en kommentar JE (journal entry) så vet vi at boka er trygt hos deg. Jeg blir glad om du vil skrive hvor du fant boken. Senere kan du skrive hva du synes om boken når du har lest den.

Slipp den gjerne fri igjen, eller gi den til en venn. Da kan du også skrive hvordan du lar boken reise videre, slik at vi kan følge den på reisen. På det skandinaviske forumet deler vi gleden over bøkenes vandring i verden.

Du kan være anonym om du vil. Eller du kan bli medlem (join). Det er gratis. Din e -post adresse blir ikke oppgitt eller videreformidlet til noen. Du får ikke spam. Som medlem kan du følge boka videre reiserute. Du må gjerne referere til meg, Askeladda, som den som gjorde deg kjent med BC.

Under fanen 'Samfunn' vil du finne bokinteresserte mennesker fra mange land. Det er skandinaviske og internasjonale forum hvor du kan delta i bokpraten. Bookcrossere er generøse, vennlige mennesker, bare prøv!

Håper du vil like boka du har funnet!
Les den, skriv et lite bokslipp notat og la boka reise videre!

Journal Entry 51 by Gealach at Nacka, Södermanland Sweden on Monday, April 28, 2014

Arrived today! I'll start right away, and I'll do my best to finish it quickly.

Journal Entry 52 by Gealach at Nacka, Södermanland Sweden on Sunday, May 25, 2014

I don't know why I thought this was based on a true story, but I was a little confused when I found out that it wasn't.

I liked it, though, but for some reason I couldn't finish it, I stopped with only about 20 pages to go.

I know I've kept the book longer than I intended, but a huge workload made it hard to find time to read, which is also the reason that I didn't finish the movie (great idea to send it along, by the way), and I've just asked for the next reader's address, so I will hopefully be able to send the book and the DVD during next week.

Journal Entry 53 by Gealach at Nacka, Södermanland Sweden on Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Scruffykaz was no longer interested, so tomorrow I'm mailing the book to cordelia-anne!

Sorry for keeping it so long!

Journal Entry 54 by wingcordelia-annewing at Someplace, Georgia USA on Sunday, June 15, 2014

I received this yesterday and am really looking forward to reading it. I remember seeing the remarkable movie years ago. Reading the book and seeing it once again is a great opportunity. Thanks to everyone who brought this book to my door, especially Gealach who mailed this all the way from Sweden.

Journal Entry 55 by wingcordelia-annewing at Someplace, Georgia USA on Sunday, July 27, 2014

I'm sorry friends. It took me a month to really begin this book. I think I was too haunted by the gorgeous Peter Weir movie that I saw years ago and by knowing early on that the loving Miranda is doomed with other innocent characters. Once I made myself read past the picnic, which is only the first fourth of the book, I just could not put this down. The writing is beautiful and so lovingly detailed that I felt I was part of that Australian summer of St. Valentine's day 1900 and of all the days that followed up until Good Friday when the chill of autumn was beginning to set in. Perhaps I was helped along by the beautiful summer days we've had here in northwest Georgia this weekend. We suffered a drenching few days before the sun came out and made everything lovely again. So I read this in a perfect summer atmosphere. There's so much that goes on here. For young girls like the inmates of the "exclusive" Appleyard College," the love they feel for each other at St. Valentine's is deeply important. We females are social creatures and we need each other for the subtle but deep gifts of motherly recognition and understanding that just usually do not come forth from the male personality. As we see with Mrs. Appleyard, the gift of a motherly heart is not evenly bestowed. Miranda, who leads the doomed party into the mystery of the wilderness, is the eldest daughter in her family and she has the motherly gift in abundance. She is remarkable for being able to give the orphan Sara Waybourne the love she had never experienced before. And poor Sara loves her deeply in return for it. But a new sort of love is off in the wings for these girls. As she goes boldly forth to discover the natural, mysterious beauties of Hanging Hock, Miranda catches another heart, that of Michael. Like Shakespeares' Miranda, she is at the age when she is almost ready to venture into the "brave new world" that the admiration and love of men brings to women. I was able to feel sympathy for Mrs. Appleyard at first. She was a soul bereft, missing her beloved husband. His apparently was the only love she knew. In contrast to heroic Miranda, a child of the bush, Mrs. Appleyard was born in dingy suburbs and she couldn't ever really leave them to create beauty or an atmosphere of love. Her Appleyard College is a hideously Victorian place, concerned more with commerce than with love. William Blake even might call it a bit of a "Satanic Mill." Finally, Mrs. Appleyard reminded me of Mrs. Minchin in one of my favorite childhood books, THE LITTLE PRINCES, by Frances Hodgeson Burnett. Mrs. Appleyard's heart never really feels for the lost girls and the lost governess. And she treats Sara Waybourne as the Sara Crewe of THE LITTLE PRINCESS was treated when her father Captain Crewe was lost in the war. No longer the "princess" and golden goose that she had been in the beginning, Sara Crewe is banished by Mrs. Minchin to a lonley, dirty garrett and she becomes a servant to pay for her keep. If only Mrs. Appleyard had been so kind to Sara Waybourne. I was also reminded of Charlotte Brontë''s Lowood School in JANE EYRE and the sadness that poor Jane Eyre feels when her beloved friend Helen dies. Though the Appleyard College is ultimately evil like the Lowood School, good and loving people are a part of it. Joan Lindsay, who loved St. Valentine's Day and was married that day, deeply honors St. Valentine in these pages. This saint, who seems so weak at Hanging Rock, wins in the events of Easter that are to follow. To say too much would be to give it away for the next readers. This is a beautiful, horrific fairy tale. Friendship and romantic love make it bearable. The male characters Michael and Arthur, from different classes, also share an important friendship. I think I will let this range about in my psyche before watching the lush and haunting movie again. Pete Weir is a man. He won't see what I've seen here. But as I recall his vision is beautiful. And, dear friends, I've found a marvelous new destination for this great book, which with hyphen 8's repair work is still holding up. I really enjoyed this book. Its plotting, writing and dialog gave me great pleasure. This particular book, which came from lovely Australia, was read at the height of summer not far from Stone Mountain in Georgia, a state here in the United States. Stone Mountain, shown in this entry, was also made by ancient volcanoes like Australia's Hanging Rock. It is the largest monadnock--or rock--in the world.

Journal Entry 56 by wingcordelia-annewing at Someplace, Georgia USA on Tuesday, July 29, 2014

I found the time to see the movie and documentaries yesterday. Weir's Miranda, Anne Lambert, looked so much like Robert Grave's description of the White Goddess. There was a lot made of this film being an Australian birth of Venus, "Miranda is a Botticelli angel," says the French governess. I loved seeing this beautiful part of such a distant place as Joan Lindsay would have seen it. The world Weir created was just as detailed and perfect for this unique story as was Lindsay's. Both artists were bound and determined to present this as true in its way. Children did disappear into Hanging Rock, one documentary does briefly relate. Such a terrible thing could only be replicated and honored in the imagination. As someone who knew Hanging Rock very well, Lindsay would of course have a very personal story for how such a thing must have felt. I am glad hyphen8 provides a reference here to painter William Ford's "Picnic at Hanging Rock." One of the documentaries explained that they used the colors and styles of Australia's painters as a reference for the look of the film. And Joan Lindsay and her husband were painters. I enjoyed the interviews with Lady Lindsay and the cast members. I'm glad that the author lived to see her work of art created again in a way she treasured. Both the book and the movie are marvelous. And love does triumph here, though we know as we leave the scene that for many people like Mrs. Appleyard and Sara, love can't be trusted. For them the check somehow never comes in the mail on time. Such failures of love are perhaps the hardest to take, perhaps worse than random ravages like the disappearnces. Lady Lindsay lets us know that this sort of sadness and betrayal is part of the human love story but not all of it.

Journal Entry 57 by wingcordelia-annewing at Logan City, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Released 2 mos ago (7/29/2014 UTC) at Logan City, Queensland Australia

In honor of St. Valentine, this book goes from summer in the American South to winter in the Southern Hemisphere. This book is nearly 40 years old. It's a movie tie-in printing and the movie came out in 1975! But with hyphen8's healing ministrations, I believe it may have as many as three or four more readings left. Thanks everyone for this great experience.