corner corner The Man in the Picture

The Man in the Picture
by Susan Hill | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by LilyKlip of Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Monday, March 12, 2012

status (set by LilyKlip): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by LilyKlip from Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Monday, March 12, 2012

I read this book as part of a book ring and really enjoyed it. The author was a discovery for me and the book definitely one of my favourites in 2011. I hope you enjoy it too.

This is the journal entry I made after I read it:

I loved reading this. A wonderful old fashioned ghost story. I will definetely look out for this author.

"Spoiler Alert"!!! Highlight to read it.

Some things just didn't make any sense: Theo's accident and I also didn't quite understand why "it" had to happen to Oliver too. Just because he had listened to the story? And yes, who was the man in the window?

The book is my contribution to the Favourite Book Roundabout 2011* and will travel to Boekentroll first.

Participants:

- Franaloe, Switzerland
- LiniP, Germany
- Grovalskii, Germany
- Qantaqa, Germany

and back to me. Thank you!

Hope you like it!

*This is a replacement book as the original copy is with dutch-book who had to leave this roundabout for personal reasons. Thank you marsala for organising the replacement!

Journal Entry 2 by marsala at Chiswick, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

And I got the replacement copy.

I wonder what I will think of this, as I'm not a big fan of ghost stories. I'm just scared too easily, haha!

Ok, finished it now and must say it was allright. Not too scary! Allthough I'm not really sure I understood the plot.

Journal Entry 3 by marsala at Favourite Book Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, March 30, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (3/30/2012 UTC) at Favourite Book Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way to Elstaplador.

Journal Entry 4 by elstaplador at Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Received yesterday - thank you!

Journal Entry 5 by elstaplador at Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Does what it says on the tin. A ghost story in the classic style - one might be forgiven for thinking one had picked up a book by M. R. James or somebody of that ilk. It's all there: the academic setting, the mysterious object, the backstory that is never fully revealed. And the very nineteenth-century nested narratives - I've not seen so many stories-within-stories since Wuthering Heights.

And then Susan Hill drags you kicking and screaming into the present, and it's as creepy as hell. I don't think I'll be visiting Venice for quite a long time.

Journal Entry 6 by elstaplador at Snail Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, April 21, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (4/21/2012 UTC) at Snail Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sending on to earthcaroleanne - having forgotten to take it to Dublin with me! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by earthcaroleanne at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 24, 2012

This looks good. Of course it arrived with another bookray so I'm afraid I've a bit of a backlog at the moment. Will get through them asap.

Journal Entry 8 by earthcaroleanne at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 23, 2012

I suppose this is what they call a good old fashioned ghost story. I don't know MR James who Susan Hill is compared to but I did think it was a little like The Turn of the Screw which I was also disappointed with in terms of scariness. Good story but not likely to give me nightmares.

Journal Entry 9 by earthcaroleanne at Innsbruck, Tirol Austria on Friday, May 25, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (5/31/2012 UTC) at Innsbruck, Tirol Austria

On it's way in the ring.

Journal Entry 10 by ahabraken at Innsbruck, Tirol Austria on Thursday, July 19, 2012

Another book that tooks it´s time getting here! Just in time for my holiday - I will probably finish before the plane lands!

Journal Entry 11 by ahabraken at Espoo, Uusimaa Finland on Monday, August 06, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (8/6/2012 UTC) at Espoo, Uusimaa Finland

Not my cup of tea to be honest. Not creapy, no real plot. I hope the next reader will appreciate it more.

Sending it on in the Favourites ring today!

Journal Entry 12 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa Finland on Thursday, August 09, 2012

Arrived today, thanks! Won't be able to start straight away, but franaloe has two other roundabout books to read before this one anyway so I don't think she's in a hurry to receive it.

Journal Entry 13 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, October 03, 2012

First of all, my sincere apologies for taking so long to get to this. For some reason I've been unable to concentrate on reading anything longer than a magazine article for several weeks. Now I fortunately seem to be getting back to my normal reading routine :)

And so to the book: This was a pretty enjoyable, quick read. I liked the old fashioned feel and the various settings, although I agree with LilyKlip's "hidden" remarks. Thanks for sharing!

Sending this on to franaloe tomorrow.

Journal Entry 14 by franaloe at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Monday, October 15, 2012

Got it! Will try to read this for October. It is not so thick, so it should be possible if I manage to put 1q84 aside...

Journal Entry 15 by franaloe at Schwäbisch Hall, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, October 27, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (10/27/2012 UTC) at Schwäbisch Hall, Baden-Württemberg Germany

That was a nice little ghost story. I've read the major part of it last night, when I couldn't sleep....! No weird dreams after that, though.

Thanks for sharing. The book is now on it's way to LipiP.

Journal Entry 16 by LiniP at Schwäbisch Hall, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The book arrived safely at my doorstep today. I will read the book soon and pass it on to the next person.

Journal Entry 17 by LiniP at Schwäbisch Hall, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Friday, November 16, 2012

The book was perfect for dark November evenings. I wonder whether I will ever see Venice in the same light after this.

Journal Entry 18 by winggrovalskiiwing at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, November 28, 2012

just received the book in the mail today. will read it very soon.

Journal Entry 19 by winggrovalskiiwing at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, December 11, 2012

enjoyable little book. I liked the old-fashioned feel of it. But I won't have any nightmares. I don't like scary movies or books and so that's alright with me. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 20 by Qantaqa at Dachau, Bayern Germany on Saturday, December 22, 2012

Arrived safely, thanks a lot!

Journal Entry 21 by Qantaqa at Dachau, Bayern Germany on Friday, January 18, 2013

A very quick, nice read, but nothing special. Not very scary - nonetheless, like elstaplador I won't travel to Venice any time soon :).

The book will travel back home in the next few days.

Journal Entry 22 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Monday, February 04, 2013

The book is back with me. Thank you!