corner corner Jake's Thing

Jake's Thing
by Kingsley Amis | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingpippiswing of Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Sunday, March 11, 2012

status (set by sumako): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingpippiswing from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Sunday, March 11, 2012

How to survive when you're 59 and lost your libido? Oh, dear, fancy a cuppa with that?

Journal Entry 2 by wingpippiswing at Kahvila Siilinkari in Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Monday, March 26, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (3/26/2012 UTC) at Kahvila Siilinkari in Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland

Hopefully Jake knows how to behave in public... Meet him at Siilinkari!

Journal Entry 3 by CatharinaL at Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa Finland on Monday, March 26, 2012

Jake followed me home from the Tampere meetup at Siilinkari. Had to choose between the two Amises available... this ought to be a blast!

Journal Entry 4 by CatharinaL at Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa Finland on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

No, I did not enjoy this quite as much as I had hoped. I wonder what it was about the seventies... A great many books set and written in that decade now seem to incorporate a very specific dullness despite their surface ornamentation of introverted verbosity and ubiquitous themes of sexual liberation. In retrospect, I guess the paralysis of Bourgeois Puritan Conventionality (as one of the chapters is aptly titled) was never far away, no matter how obstinately people strived at or experimented with so-called liberation (here: women's lib, swinging, experimental sex therapy sessions...).The dullness, sadness that now remains in print must've been an intentional effect on the part of the writer, formerly an Angry Young Man: an emblem of an era of sorts. Suddenly Jake's Thing isn't very satirical any more.

Journal Entry 5 by CatharinaL at Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa Finland on Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I'm taking Jake with me to Friday's meetup at Main Library Metso.

Journal Entry 6 by sumako at Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Friday, April 20, 2012

Seems funny. Thank you!