corner corner Polymath

Polymath
by John Brunner | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by DendriticTrees of Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 10, 2012

status (set by sing-song): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by DendriticTrees from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 10, 2012

I've put a bookplate in this to see it comes home. If you have it, see that it comes back to me when it is finished.

This book has an interesting history. I found it at a CBC book sale for 1 dollar, at which price, I'm willing to take my chances with quality for an interesting idea. But I had so many books, and it was so ugly that it ended up buried in a box in my crawlspace for many years. Then, last summer I was tasked with reorganizing and cataloging all the books in my house, when I went through the crawlspace boxes I found it, and really liked the idea again, and put it back on my shelf. But it was still ugly, so it sat there for a while, until I really needed a small book to carry in my overly full backpack to read on the bus.

Its fantastic, the idea is really interesting. The 'stranded colonist' thing isn't especially novel in Sci-Fi, (although the book comes from 1982 so it might have been done less then,), but this really misses the technological grandstanding element where colonists make fantastical things from scraps, and focuses on the psychology of being stranded on a scary new planet a long way from home, which is very novel.

The other thing that surprised me is the very casual reference to homosexual relationships which are treated very matter-of-factly, just like all the other relationships. This is not an attitude I associate with 1982, have I been judging 1980's people too harshly? I still get surprised when this sort of relationship shows up in more modern books (usually not-straight relationships either a) don't exist in fiction, or, b) a large fuss is made over them). It made me happy :)

Journal Entry 2 by DendriticTrees at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 10, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (3/10/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Ah the great dilemma: I really love this book, and I want to share it, but I also want to keep it. Fortunately the Calgary Book Crossing Group which meets on the second Saturday of every month at the Joshua Tree is a great group so I can lend them my books and see that they come back home.

I'm taking this to thin book month because it is a petite little thing and I want other people to enjoy it like I did, and they'll surely never find a second copy. Ancient, hideous sci-fi books are a problem in that regard.

Journal Entry 3 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, March 11, 2012

Despite the threat of dire consequences I have taken this treasured volume home to read....

Journal Entry 4 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, July 13, 2012

This book reminded me of Robinson Crusoe with the shipwreck and trials of survival in a strange place. The female characterizations were cliche and distasteful but overall the story was interesting.

Journal Entry 5 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 14, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (7/14/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking the book to the Calgary BC Meetup at the Joshua Tree Cafe today.

Journal Entry 6 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, July 15, 2012

Picked up this book at the Calgary BookCrossing July meet-up. Old sci-fi. Should be interesting.

Journal Entry 7 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, September 24, 2012

Oh my god, the gender roles in this were hilarious. I'm sure it wasn't meant to be at the time, but in today's context it's just bad. Anyway, the rest of the book wasn't bad. You have the basic survivor dilemma, but with a sci fi slant. The technology in the book actually doesn't seem that dated and things like solar stills would be necessary to survive in a uninhabited land. So the author gets points there. But I'm really glad society has moved on in regards to the role of women.

Journal Entry 8 by locker-monster at Joshua Tree Café, Edmonton Trail in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 10, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (11/10/2012 UTC) at Joshua Tree Café, Edmonton Trail in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Releasing this book at the Calgary BookCrossing November meet-up. If it didn't go home with anyone, it's sitting on the bookshelf.

Journal Entry 9 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, November 12, 2012

Picked this up at the November meeting at the Joshua Tree Cafe. I do believe that I brought this home so it can make a day special for someone dear to me. From all her dear friends. They eagerly await her comments.