corner corner When You Reach Me

When You Reach Me
by Rebecca Stead |
Registered by ukcanaus of Melbourne, Victoria Australia on 3/9/2012

status (set by wlg): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by ukcanaus from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Friday, March 09, 2012

Four mysterious letters change Miranda’s world forever.

By sixth grade, Miranda and her best friend, Sal, know how to navigate their New York City neighborhood. They know where it’s safe to go, like the local grocery store, and they know whom to avoid, like the crazy guy on the corner.

But things start to unravel. Sal gets punched by a new kid for what seems like no reason, and he shuts Miranda out of his life. The apartment key that Miranda’s mom keeps hidden for emergencies is stolen. And then Miranda finds a mysterious note scrawled on a tiny slip of paper:

I am coming to save your friend’s life, and my own.
I must ask two favors. First, you must write me a letter.

The notes keep coming, and Miranda slowly realizes that whoever is leaving them knows all about her, including things that haven’t even happened yet. Each message brings her closer to believing that only she can prevent a tragic death. Until the final note makes her think she’s too late...

This was reviewed in Notebook magazine that recommended it both to children and adults, and I HAD to read it. I wasn't disappointed at all. Time travel, mystery, sci-fi, humour - it's all here!

Hope there will be enough interest to offer it as a bookring: http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/20/473880/

Journal Entry 2 by ukcanaus at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

BOOKRING:
** Read it, PM the next person for their address, and send it within 6 weeks.

** Please make a journal entry when you receive the book and also to say what you thought of the book when you've finished reading it.

** PM me if you cannot contact the next person on the list too.

Current participants (in order):

1. Tsjara (The Netherlands)
2. Jo_an_a (Finland)
3. lauraloo29 (Canada)
4. KiwiinEngland (NZ)
5. Lunar73 (Australia)

----> back to ukcanaus<-- Book is here (August 10, 2012)

Journal Entry 3 by ukcanaus at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (3/28/2012 UTC) at Melbourne, Victoria Australia

Mailed to Tsjara today.

Journal Entry 4 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, April 05, 2012

Arrived here safely. Thanks a lot ukcanaus for sharing/sending the book and for the lovely postcard and bookmark! This sounds very interesting. Can't wait to read it. :)

Journal Entry 5 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, April 15, 2012

This was such a charming read, I really enjoyed it. I like the writing style and how the story and mystery slowly unravels.. (though I guessed who the 'you' was). And the references to 'A Wrinkle in Time' were nicely incorporated in the story ("It was a dark and stormy night." :p) - glad I read that on a bookring couple years ago.
And even though this story was set in New York City in the seventies, it didn't feel very different from growing up in the nineties here in the Netherlands, the kids seem to have a lot more freedom then.
There were lots of likeable and intriguing characters, and Julia quite surprised me.
When the story had ended - it was kind of sad - I flipped through it again looking for clues and things that I may have missed/didn't really get before.. (makes me wonder though - if you could travel in time, you still can't change the history or the future, the way they like to do on tv/movies and such, since everything is already set..(?))

Thanks again ukcanaus for sharing this lovely book!
It is all wrapped up now and ready to be mailed to Jo_an_a. :)

Journal Entry 6 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, April 16, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (4/16/2012 UTC) at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands

The book is on its way to Finland now.

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 7 by jo_an_a at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, April 19, 2012

The book arrived today, thank you very much Tsjara for the beautiful postcard, and ukcanaus for the bookmark. The cover of the book is very pretty and inviting, looking forward to reading this.

3.5.2012

I have to confess I spent most of my day at work reading this book today, I just couldn't put it down! The narrator Miranda was instantly likeable, and laugh-out-loud -funny at times. I liked the fact that the time travel -part of the story only came about after a while, and when it did it was unpretentious, as I quickly lose interest if a story is too far out there.

I liked just about everything about this little book, and I would never have picked it up if it wasn't for bookcrossing. :)

I have messaged Lauraloo29 for her address.

Journal Entry 8 by jo_an_a at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, May 05, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (5/7/2012 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

I will post this book to lauraloo29 on Monday. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by winglauraloo29wing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Arrived safe and sound today. Will read after the book I am currently reading. Thank you!

Journal Entry 10 by winglauraloo29wing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, June 12, 2012

I wasn't sure I was going to like this book at first. It did grab me eventually. I read the last half today on the bus and during my lunch break.

I didn't see the ending coming (parts of it).

I will be sending this book on its way on the weekend.

Thank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 11 by kiwiinengland at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, June 29, 2012

Thank you for sending this book around the world lauraloo29, it has safely arrived and I am looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 12 by kiwiinengland at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, July 15, 2012

I did enjoy this story, which was a quick read for a wet Sunday.

The characters all seemed pretty realistic, and I liked the way the story developed.

Thanks for sending this my way.

Journal Entry 13 by kiwiinengland at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, July 22, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (7/22/2012 UTC) at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

I am posting this to the next person in the bookring.

Journal Entry 14 by Lunar73 at Sheffield, Tasmania Australia on Monday, August 06, 2012

This arrived last week and I read it over the weekend. A great little read, really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing with usukcanaus.

Journal Entry 15 by ukcanaus at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Friday, August 10, 2012

And it's back! Thanks to Lunar73 for sending this back to me, and to all participants for making this a successful bookring. This book will be on the move again soon!

Journal Entry 16 by ukcanaus at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (12/11/2012 UTC) at Melbourne, Victoria Australia

Sent today as a Christmas Not-So-RABCK - hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 17 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Wednesday, December 26, 2012

I go this one for Christmas, together with a lot of other books.
- and it is a well traveled book, and it is from my wishlist!

Thank you very much.

Journal Entry 18 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Wednesday, February 27, 2013

I really enjoyed this little book. The characters were people I could recognise as people around me (I do hang around youth a lot....)
The story grabbed a hold of me as well. And, like stated by one of the previous readers, I didn't find the setting to be any different from this day and age.
I'll hold on to the book for a wee while. I migth read it for my students.

Thanks a lot for sharing.

Journal Entry 19 by wingHaugtussawing at Kjerag in Forsand, Rogaland fylke Norway on Sunday, July 21, 2013

Released 3 yrs ago (7/21/2013 UTC) at Kjerag in Forsand, Rogaland fylke Norway

This book was released at the platou where you wait in line to og out onto the big boulder. The Queue was long today, the wheater was great and the walk was amazing.

The book is released in the First Unofficial Bookcrossing Olympics in the event of BMX - to be a dare devil!

Velkommen til BookCrossing!

Takk for at du fant boka.
Vær vennlig å skriv en kommentar på www.bookcrossing.com, så får vi vite hva som har skjedd med boka.
Du kan være anonym om du vil eller enda kjekkere: bli medlem (det er gratis).
Om du leser boka så kan du skrive hva du synes om den.
Om du slipper den fri igjen så fortell gjerne om det også.
Om du blir medlem så kan du få email som forteller hva som skjer med boka i fremtiden - spennende!

Er det noe du lurer på så sende gjerne et PM (personal message) til meg, Haugtussa, og spør.
Lykke til som bokkrysser.

Journal Entry 20 by RieJohanna at Ryfylke, Rogaland fylke Norway on Saturday, July 27, 2013

We found the book nearby kjeragbolten, the destination of our hike on july 21st 2013 in norway. While my friend was brave enough to stand on top of the boulder, i picked up the book.
I didn't get to read it yet, but the simple idea of leaving a traveling book in a place where people come together to enjoy the magnificent nature and help each other in the challenge of standing on the boulder, is wonderful!
I will help to let the book travel on to more adventurous places and open-minded people.

Journal Entry 21 by wlg at Lindau, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, October 29, 2013

picked up book in a hostel library. Read and [also] learned about "bookcrossing". Brought the book to USA and released. Delightful lively story about youth growing up in a large city.
Giving the book to someone, and hope they pass-it-on.