corner corner A History of the World in 101/2 Chapters

A History of the World in 101/2 Chapters
by Julian Barnes | History
Registered by coolboxuk of Chertsey, Surrey United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 06, 2012

status (set by gaelpixie): available

Journal Entry 1 by coolboxuk from Chertsey, Surrey United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 06, 2012

A weird and wonderful collection of short stories - it took me half way through the book to realise that they are connected and in which ways. That's when it gets interesting - although my favourite one on its own is the first. Brilliant!

Journal Entry 2 by Scoobiedo at Chertsey, Surrey United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 07, 2012

n/a

Journal Entry 3 by Scoobiedo at Chertsey, Surrey United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Not my kind of bok at all I am afraid. One of the reviews on the back cover says, "You wil want to read it again and again" For me I would probably have to read it again and again to work out what the author is trying to achieve.

Journal Entry 4 by Scoobiedo at Crown Public House, Chertsey Bookcrossing Meet in Chertsey, Surrey United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (5/1/2012 UTC) at Crown Public House, Chertsey Bookcrossing Meet in Chertsey, Surrey United Kingdom

May BC Meet

Journal Entry 5 by wingrahar109wing at Farnborough, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Picked up at tonight's meet for re-releasing elsewhere.

Journal Entry 6 by wingrahar109wing at BCUK Unconvention 2012 in Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, September 22, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (9/28/2012 UTC) at BCUK Unconvention 2012 in Colchester, Essex United Kingdom

On the book table, or released somewhere around Colchester.

Hello!
And if you do choose to join, please consider using me, rahar109, as your referring member.
Happy Bookcrossing!

Journal Entry 7 by Mai-day at Lounge Bar and Grill at the Leeds Bookcrossers Meetup in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 08, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (10/9/2012 UTC) at Lounge Bar and Grill at the Leeds Bookcrossers Meetup in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

Picked up from the Book Buffet at the Colchester Unconvention to release at the Leeds Bookcrossers Meetup

Journal Entry 8 by gaelpixie at Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 15, 2014

This sat on my 'to read' pile for a long time, because the one novel by Barnes that I'd read previously - can't even remember what it was - didn't impress me.
But I know this one is highly regarded so I thought I'd give it a go (eventually). Reading this now, while so much of the south and south-west is flooded, was particularly timely, as the theme that unites the 10 (and a half) chapters is the biblical flood, Noah and his ark. I started to notice ark references everywhere and not just relating to the current floods (although there are many of those too), and I realised now deeply embedded the biblical tale is in my culture.
I loved Barnes' imaginative use of the story, his many angled approach. The stories are interesting, well told, funny and varied.
My opinion of Julian Barnes has definitely gone up.