corner corner Geek Love

Geek Love
by Katherine Dunn | Other
Registered by shnedwards of Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on 3/5/2012

status (set by extheatra): available

Journal Entry 1 by shnedwards from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, March 05, 2012

To read and take to Dublin.

Journal Entry 2 by shnedwards at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, March 15, 2012

What an extraordinary book. I finished it last night and I'm still speechless.

RESERVED for Dublin.

Journal Entry 3 by shnedwards at Camden Court Hotel in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Thursday, April 12, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (4/13/2012 UTC) at Camden Court Hotel in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland

Released at the BookCrossing Convention.

Thank you for visiting the website. If this is your introduction to Bookcrossing, welcome.
Please make as few or as many comments about the book as you wish. The book is now yours to do with as you choose.
Keep it, pass it on, but please leave the label, so it can keep in touch with us.
If you would like to know what happens to the book after you have passed it on, then do join - it's free, private and it's fun.

Journal Entry 4 by faerie-glen at Ulm, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Monday, April 16, 2012

Sounds like my kind of thing!

Edit: Turn out it wasn't. I only read it through because it was like a car accident I couldn't stop watching.

Journal Entry 5 by faerie-glen at Norgeshus (BC Convention 2013) in Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Thursday, April 18, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (4/19/2013 UTC) at Norgeshus (BC Convention 2013) in Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden

Released at the 2013 Convention in Göteborg.

Journal Entry 6 by wingmelydiawing at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Sunday, April 21, 2013

I picked this up at the 2013 BookCrossing Convention to share with my friends back home at BCinDC. I read another copy of this book a little while ago and this is what I had to say then:

Al and Lil Binewski own a failing carnival, which they revive by creating a family of freaks though chemical abuse during pregnancy. Not just standard drugs, but pesticides, radioisotopes, and more. The story is narrated by their daughter Olympia, a bald albino hunchback dwarf, who often bemoans her relative normalcy (you should see her siblings). It’s a fascinating look at not only carnival life, but how we view physical beauty in general. Do we really envy those who are completely normal, or those who proudly display their differences? The description is raw, shocking, and painfully vivid, but like a carnival freak show, you just can’t look away. You have to keep reading, to get a better look, to see what they’ll do next. This is not the sort of book that will appeal to everyone, or even most people, but I really enjoyed it. If nothing else, it was very different from most other things I’ve read.

Journal Entry 7 by wingmelydiawing at Gaithersburg City Hall Concert Pavilion and Grounds in Gaithersburg, Maryland USA on Monday, May 06, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (5/18/2013 UTC) at Gaithersburg City Hall Concert Pavilion and Grounds in Gaithersburg, Maryland USA

This book will be available at the BookCrossing table at the 2013 Gaithersburg Book Festival in Gaithersburg, Maryland.

Journal Entry 8 by extheatra at Gaithersburg, Maryland USA on Sunday, June 02, 2013

I picked up Geek Love at the free book tent at the Gaithersburg Book Festival. I worked in a bookstore in 1988 when this came out, and I always wanted to read it. Funny, it just stuck in the back of my head all those years, but I never got around to it. It's a weird story, beautifully written, with a wild cast of bizarre characters. I was not disappointed - it was everything I had hoped it would be. I'm going to have a hard time letting it go, but I will set it free at my next opportunity.