corner corner Tuesday Rabbi Saw Red

Tuesday Rabbi Saw Red
by Harry Kemelman | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by tenetene of Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Monday, March 05, 2012

status (set by erishkigal): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by tenetene from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Monday, March 05, 2012

still finding books of Mom's.

Journal Entry 2 by tenetene at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Monday, March 05, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (3/5/2012 UTC) at Salt Lake City, Utah USA

Sending over to Erishkigal for the Snap! game

Journal Entry 3 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Monday, March 05, 2012

from Mom's shelf.

This is an older mystery, first published in'73, this edition in 1989. So it is in a time of student protests, the Vietnam War, Women's Lib, the sexual revolution...and there are reminders of another time (pay phone booths!), some that jar (cops as "pigs"). Initially I found this quite off-putting, but once I'd decided to just take it as historical rather than dated, I was fine.

So, the mystery itself was average, plenty of red herrings, and twists, I enjoyed Rabbi Small and a number of the smaller characters, but what I really, really liked was learning way more about Judaism. And in a way that totally worked, as Small was teaching a class in 'Jewish Thought and Philosophy' at a small private college (and the pay was 3 times what I made as an adjunct in the mid-late 90's at a public college!). And as a Rabbi, Small puts his Talmudic training to work, puzzling things out and solving the mystery.

I really enjoyed this, and will be looking for other Rabbi Small mysteries.

Journal Entry 4 by wingerishkigalwing at Olympic Rock bench corner 1500 East and Emerson Ave (1495 South) in Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Monday, March 05, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (3/5/2012 UTC) at Olympic Rock bench corner 1500 East and Emerson Ave (1495 South) in Salt Lake City, Utah USA

released about 3:30 for the Snap! challenge

If you aren't familiar with Bookcrossing, take a few minutes to check out this very cool site. Bookcrossers LOVE books, and more than anything, they love to read books and then set them free for other people to find and enjoy. I would be super happy if you would leave a journal entry -- you can say where you found the book or how you liked it when you read it. Then, when you are ready (no hurry), pass it along for someone else to enjoy! Thanks and happy reading!