corner corner The Charming Quirks of Others: An Isabel Dalhousie Novel (Isabel Dalhousie Novels)

by Alexander McCall Smith | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingoofiriwing of Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Saturday, March 03, 2012

status (set by chamonix44): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingoofiriwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Saturday, March 03, 2012

Isabel Dalhousie novel number seven. "Jillian McKinlay - wife of a trustee of an illustrious school - is the latest petitioner; she asks Isabel to look into a poison pen letter that makes insinuations about applicants for the position of principal. And what's more, when a pretty cellist with a tragic story takes a fancy to her husband-to-be, Isabel finds herself contemplating an act of heroic and alarming self-sacrifice."

Found this in a charity shop sale too cheap not to buy, as I dimly remembered having seen it on some wishlist or another. Actually, it's wished for by no less than nine Finnish BookCrossers!

First to kirjakko, as the first stage of "Modified Tag", a wishlist book game on the Finnish BC forum.

Journal Entry 2 by kirjakko at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Monday, March 05, 2012

Why don't I find cheap books in mint condition from charity shops? This has probably never been read or the previous owner has worked in a bookshop where one could lend books if they didn't look used when they came back.
According to the rules of the modified wishlist tag game you ought to read the book and send it forward within two weeks. In ordinary wishlist tags you can live happily ever after with the book and a hamster like me sits on a pile of wishlist books and does not know what to read. These rules were made so that books which several people would like to read would actually move within reasonable time.
So I'm going to read this pretty soon, thanks oofiri for the kind offer.

Journal Entry 3 by kirjakko at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Friday, April 06, 2012

Finally! First I make the rules and then I break them... Now the book is ready to move on.

I did like it, but it took me longer to get into it than the previous one I read (The Right Attitude to Rain), this being my second Dalhousie book. Somehow the relationship with Jamie was more interesting when she was still pursuing him, but that's probably what relationships are like. Now of course there was the shadow of the Other Woman hanging there and although I've never been in that particular situation the anger and dissappointment were well described - I did recognize myself from it.
It did annoy from time to time that "because of her training" Isabel thought the way she did. One somehow got the feeling that we non-philosophers would be more superficial in our thoughts. My description of a philosopher is "somebody who makes simple things complicated" and that is because I had a very peculiar man as a maths and phil. teacher. An example: My mom once went to a dinner party where she was sat next to him and his opening line was (pointing at the candles on the table): "Which one of us shall decide if these candles are burning or not?" Mom said: "Noo-u no, I'm not getting into that with you." And he said: "We don't have to. They are burning."
The means of Isabel's wealth has somehow escaped my memory, but it would indeed be nice to buy the whole paper if one had a disagreement about its running. The sale of the painting went also quite nicely.
I think the last time she also solved the mystery more or less in her own head, without any public announcements. Perhaps that's the way she does it, have to read more books to find out.
Off to Halonhakkaaja, enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by winghalonhakkaajawing at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo Finland on Thursday, April 12, 2012

Book is here. Thank you very much! I don't know yet, if I try to read two previous parts before I read this, but certainly the book continues it's travel sooner or later.
Edit 8.5.2012
I read the three parts one after the another. And could have read three more :) They are so charming and so wise.

The book is going next to Chania. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by winghalonhakkaajawing at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo Finland on Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (5/9/2012 UTC) at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo Finland

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by wingChaniawing at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa Finland on Thursday, May 10, 2012

Thank you, halonhakkaaja! Can't wait to start this.. but I will, it will probably be my holiday-reading!

Journal Entry 7 by wingChaniawing at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa Finland on Saturday, June 23, 2012

Very nice, as all Isabel-books! Lots of feelings, thinking, and lovely time with little Charlie :)

Sending to Lukutuoli next.

Journal Entry 8 by winglukutuoliwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The book has arrived, thank you! I try to be quick with this one as there are so many bookcrossers who'd like to read this, too...

Journal Entry 9 by winglukutuoliwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Thursday, July 26, 2012

I liked this part a lot, the characters of McCall Smith are always so human. Thanks for sharing, everybody!

Journal Entry 10 by winglukutuoliwing at RABCK, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Friday, July 27, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (7/27/2012 UTC) at RABCK, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

This book was on the Top3 -wishlist of Chamonix44, so next to the Netherlands. Enjoy!

KTMC 2012 # 81

Journal Entry 11 by wingchamonix44wing at Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Thank you so much for sending me this wishlist book. The postmen/women in my area of the Netherlands have a habit of leaving packages outside my front door and lying in the remains of a puddle. It has happened many times! So the outer envelope had many soggy patches, but clever lukutuoli had put the book inside a plastic bag before putting it inside the envelope, and the book came out of the package in perfect condition! The book arrived yesterday, but I waited until the envelope was dry, (overnight), because I usually take a pic of books received with their envelopes! Thank you also for the lovely postcard of Suomi Finland.