corner corner Setting Lake Sun, The

Setting Lake Sun, The
by J.R. Leveillé | Literature & Fiction
Registered by winggypsysmomwing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, February 24, 2012

status (set by twiggynomore): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, February 24, 2012

My library book club is reading this for March 2012. It has been chosen as the Manitoba On the Same Page book for 2011-12. I went to the library to see how difficult it would be to get a copy and the librarian surprised me by handing me a copy that is mine to do with as I want. So I'll read it and then pass it on to someone else.

Journal Entry 2 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, February 26, 2012

This book is a gem and it could have been a hidden gem if it hadn't been chosen for the On the Same Page program. I had never heard of it nor of its author. I'm so glad I didn't wait any longer to remedy that.

This is the story of Angele, a young Metis woman, and Ueno Takami, a Japanese man. Angele and Ueno meet at a gallery opening in Winnipeg and from the beginning Angele is entranced by Ueno. She learns that the print shop where her friend works is going to print a book of Ueno's poetry and woodcuts. She arranges her schedule so that she can go to the printery when the book is being printed. Ueno is delighted to see her and he asks her to translate his poems into French. Then Ueno invites Angele to his cabin on Setting Lake which is near Thompson. Angele and Ueno become lovers and soulmates.

Even the cover of this book is gorgeous and it reflects the quote that is on the dedication page:

The geese
fly over the place
where the bullfrogs stay

One of the delights of reading this book is the fact that it takes place in Winnipeg for part of the time and then in northern Manitoba for part of the time. I've driven the road to Thompson and the author obviously has also. He captures the experience exactly. And I loved the inclusion of familiar places in Winnipeg like Artspace and Rinella Printers and Sacre Coeur.

I was inspired to try my hand at haiku:
This book
is a painting
that is not under glass

Journal Entry 3 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (2/28/2012 UTC) at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I passed this book on to one of the members of my library book club. We'll be discussing it in March.

Journal Entry 4 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The woman from my book club who read this gave it back to me (obviously didn't get into the idea of BookCrossing) so I'll try to find someone else to read it.

Journal Entry 5 by winggypsysmomwing at Park Theatre & Movie Cafe in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (4/12/2012 UTC) at Park Theatre & Movie Cafe in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I'll take this book to the monthly meeting of Winnipeg BookCrossers. If no-one wants to take it home I will leave it on the OBCZ shelves.

Journal Entry 6 by Pooker3 at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, April 13, 2012

I picked this up (okay grabbed!) at our April meeting. Thanks gypsysmom. This is the first year I had not already read the Manitoba "On the Same Page" winner before it was selected, so I'm happy as a pig in.... to get the opportunity now.

I'm already half way through. In contrast to my last sentence, this book is lovely. In chapter 63, Angele describes Winnipeg in spring before the leaves come out thusly: "The entire landscape seems made of lace, an elementary web of air and lines." And that's an apt description of the writing in this book I think.

Journal Entry 7 by Pooker3 at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, April 15, 2012

This is a curious little book - one hundred and sixty-four chapters on about half as many pages. It is a story told by Angele, a young Metis architectural student about her relationship with a much older Japanese poet, Ueno. Angele is 20, Ueno 64. They meet at an art gallery in Winnipeg and Angele is immediately drawn to this man with a face of strong bones, withered, but with coal black eyes "brimming with an exuberant restraint." Ueno's first words to Angele are "You're Metis, aren't you?" It's the first time someone says that and Angele is not ashamed. Ueno tells her that she will translate his poems to French. Angele is delighted and yet worried that she will be unable to do that.

As I said, the story is made up of tiny chapters, mostly in chronological order, describing the time that Angele and Ueno spent together in Winnipeg, and often at Ueno's cabin in the bush near Thompson, Manitoba. It reads as if Angele is going through a scrapbook of photos, letters or even poems perhaps, each one eliciting a certain memory. Some of these chapters are much like poems themselves and often describe birds and other wildlife and natural settings. Describing Winnipeg in the spring when the trees are still without leaves, Angele says, "The entire landscape seems made of lace, an elementary web of air and lines." It strikes me that this is an apt description of the novel itself, each chapter a delicate knot or stitch gathering together the beautiful moments of a time shared by two people.

Gypsysmom, the BookCrosser who passed this book on to me, included with the book, the On The Same Page Reader's Guide. I am most grateful and will be sure to include it when I send the book out to continue its journey. Among other things, the guide contained some excerpts from the French version of the book, Le Soleil du Lac qui se couche. There was a time when I could read a book in French. I regret that I no longer can, at least with the ability to read in French and not have to translate into English to understand it. Comparing my own halting translation with the actual French text gave me a real appreciation of the talents of the translator, S. E. Stewart and, indeed, the worries of Angele to get things right.

Reading this book was strangely calming, a meditative experience. Quite lovely.

Journal Entry 8 by Pooker3 at Park Theatre & Movie Cafe in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (5/10/2012 UTC) at Park Theatre & Movie Cafe in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I originally thought I'd hang on to this book for release during the Canada Day release challenge, but then I figured it wouldn't be fair to keep it out of circulation until then. So I'll take it to our meeting tonight. If no one does take it, then some lucky person will find it on the bookshelf in the loft.

To the finder of this book:
Welcome to the wonderful and wacky world of BookCrossing! Here you'll find a unique and worldwide community of book lovers sharing their books. This book is now yours! Read it, enjoy it. Keep it or pass it on to someone you know or even release it back into the wild as I did. If you make a journal entry (either anonymously or as a BookCrossing member) all previous readers of this book will be notified by e-mail and can follow this book on its travels. BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your email address) and it's a whole lot of fun!

Journal Entry 9 by twiggynomore at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, May 14, 2012

I picked this book up at our meeting. I figured it would be a nice short read and I do like to read books that take place in Winnipeg and other places that I have visited. I have also travelled the road from Winnipeg to Thompson (twice)....when there was snow on the ground! I will try to put it at the top of Mt. TBR!

Journal Entry 10 by twiggynomore at Concordia Hospital in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (7/3/2012 UTC) at Concordia Hospital in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Releasing without reading.....I am purging my Mt. TBR.

Will leave this book on the table in front of the nurse's station by the elevators on the third floor. I hope the finder will enjoy this book and pass it along to a friend or wild release it as I have done.