corner corner The Magic Mountain

The Magic Mountain
by Thomas Mann | Literature & Fiction
Registered by soffitta1 of Dovercourt, Essex United Kingdom on Thursday, February 23, 2012

status (set by Danielle23): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by soffitta1 from Dovercourt, Essex United Kingdom on Thursday, February 23, 2012

This has been looking down at me from my TBR shelves for many a year. I studied Death in Venice at uni, and always meant to read this, but was put off by its size.

Hans Castorp is a young man drifting through life, he has been left with enough money to live off without getting his hands dirty. He decides to visit his sick cousin, Joachim, who is at a sanatorium in the Alps. Joachim has TB, which has put paid to his army career, though he is still hopeful that he will be declared fit.

Hans gets sucked in by the restful atmosphere and, despite being in perfect health when he arrives, is diagnosed with a minor infection. Unlike his cousin, Hans settles in to life in the sanatorium rather quickly, finding his place among the different factions. It is not only their health that is under the microscope, but also European society. The world has reassembled itself in the Alps, with many European nations represented. Hans is taken under the wing of Settembrini, a humanist, who comes up against his religious counterpart, Naphta. There is also time for love, with both boys falling for fellow patients, with Castorp under the spell of Madame Clavdia Chauchat. Hans ends up staying longer than he planned, especially as his "normal" life holds little charm for him.

There is a lot in the book, there is also a lot of French without translated footnotes, which is frustrating. I found parts tougher going than others, I found reading in chunks helped me get through it. Worth the read, but footnotes would have increased my understanding of the book.

Journal Entry 2 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Monday, April 23, 2012

Thanks so much for your donation soffitta1!

This book is now part of the 1001-library. If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the 1001-library bookshelf

Journal Entry 3 by soffitta1 at Dovercourt, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, April 28, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (4/28/2012 UTC) at Dovercourt, Essex United Kingdom

Chosen from the 1001-Library VBB.

Journal Entry 4 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Monday, April 30, 2012

The book is here safe and sound. This one looks a little daunting but I hope not to put it off for too long.