corner corner Death Comes to Pemberley

Death Comes to Pemberley
by P. D. James | Audiobooks
Registered by wingsota48wing of Hokksund, Buskerud fylke Norway on Sunday, February 19, 2012

status (set by sota48): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by wingsota48wing from Hokksund, Buskerud fylke Norway on Sunday, February 19, 2012

"The year is 1803, and Darcy and Elizabeth have been married for six years. There are now two handsome and healthy sons in the nursery, Elizabeth's beloved sister Jane and her husband Bingley live nearby, and the orderly world of Pemberley seems unassailable.

But all this is threatened when, on the eve of the annual autumn ball while the guests are preparing to retire for the night, a chaise appears, rocking down the path from Pemberley's wild woodland. As it pulls up, Lydia Wicham - Elizabeth's younger, unreliable sister - stumbles out screaming that her husband has been murdered."

P.D. James masterfully recreates the world of "Pride and Prejudice", and combines it with the exitement and suspense of a brilliantly-crafted crime story.

Journal Entry 2 by wingsota48wing at Hokksund, Buskerud fylke Norway on Sunday, February 19, 2012

I am not a fan of Jane Austen spin-offs. The exception is "Death comes to Pemberley". It is so beautifully done it feels like a natural continuation of "Pride and Prejudice". I enjoied every single minute of listening to this novel.

Journal Entry 3 by wingsota48wing at Hokksund, Buskerud fylke Norway on Sunday, February 19, 2012

Bokring:

Leisha Camden
Ingalill
Wildwolverine
Jannike
babelfisk - boken er her
Deepswamp

sota48

Journal Entry 4 by wingsota48wing at By hand, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (3/6/2012 UTC) at By hand, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

I'm handing over the book to LeishaCamden at the BC meet up tomorrow.

Journal Entry 5 by wingLeishaCamdenwing at Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Wednesday, May 02, 2012

The book's with me and has been read. Like the previous reader I really enjoyed it. Well written, and since it's an audiobook there's no way to tell if there's any untoward shortage of commas. ;-) Well read. Definitely worth reading for any P&P fan.

I will bring this to meetup this afternoon and hopefully pass it on to the next reader there. :-)

Journal Entry 6 by wingLeishaCamdenwing at Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (5/2/2012 UTC) at Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway

wildwolverine wasn't at meetup today, so I passed the book on to Ingalill instead. Happy reading! :-)

Note: Before the book goes off to Sweden, Jannike would like to read it too.

Journal Entry 7 by Ingalill at Oslo Sentrum, Oslo fylke Norway on Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Can't wait to get started on this and it couldn't have come at a better time
as we are driving north tomorrow. The only thing remaining is to convince the rest
of the family that this is a perfect carbook.
----------------------------------------------------------
Beautifully written - in the Austen spirit.
I did enjoy it, but found it slightly lacking in the plot. I wanted relationships and dialogues but felt it got too hung up on the mystery of the death, to be expected since James writes crimes, but since I read it, pretending it was Austen, I was dissapointed, ever so slightly.
BUT I DID ENJOY IT
, and the language was, as mentioned, beautiful.

Journal Entry 8 by Ingalill at Oslo Sentrum, Oslo fylke Norway on Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (6/13/2012 UTC) at Oslo Sentrum, Oslo fylke Norway

I will bring it to todays BCmeet and pass it to the next on the list.

Journal Entry 9 by wildwolverine at Fredrikstad, Østfold fylke Norway on Wednesday, July 25, 2012

CD's are with me now, got them at our june meet-up.

Journal Entry 10 by wildwolverine at Fredrikstad, Østfold fylke Norway on Wednesday, October 03, 2012

This was enjoyable ... my very first audio book!

As always, P. D. James has written a very intriguing story witch definitely captured me. I agree very much with Ingalill, the language is absolutely wonderful. I also think the plot is somewhat missing, the emphasis being on the dialogue and relations between the people. And i do think that Elisabeth had lost some of her spunk. In Austen's pen she has life and character, while James has not captured these traits and has made her more unremarkable and plain.

Anyway, all in all a satisfying read, and definitely not my last audio book.

I'll get hold of Jannike and send her the CD's.

Journal Entry 11 by wildwolverine at -- By post or by hand/ in person, RABCK , bookring/ray, Oslo fylke Norway on Monday, October 22, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (10/21/2012 UTC) at -- By post or by hand/ in person, RABCK , bookring/ray, Oslo fylke Norway

Jannike got this at our last meet-up yesterday.

Journal Entry 12 by Jannike at rabck by post or hand, -- Tåg, bussar och färjor -- Sweden on Thursday, February 14, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (2/14/2013 UTC) at rabck by post or hand, -- Tåg, bussar och färjor -- Sweden

Sendt i posten til babelfisk.

Journal Entry 13 by babelfisk at Jönköping, Småland Sweden on Monday, February 18, 2013

Den kom fram ordentligt, trots ett riktigt busväder. Ska avlyssnas med det snaraste. Tack sota48 och Jannike!

Journal Entry 14 by babelfisk at Jönköping, Småland Sweden on Monday, March 18, 2013

A charming and witty book! I have not read Pride and Prejudice (yet) and I probably missed parts of the story because of that. But it was never the less very intresting and giving.

I'll pass it on to Deepswamp.

Journal Entry 15 by babelfisk at Jönköping, Småland Sweden on Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (3/20/2013 UTC) at Jönköping, Småland Sweden

On it's way to Deepswamp

Journal Entry 16 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Thursday, March 21, 2013

Arrived safe!

Journal Entry 17 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Saturday, April 13, 2013

A very good read!

Back home again at Annual BC Convention 2013!

Journal Entry 18 by wingsota48wing at Hokksund, Buskerud fylke Norway on Monday, April 22, 2013

The book is back with me.