corner corner Silence

Silence
by Jan Costin Wagner | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 2/12/2012

status (set by bookstogive): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, February 12, 2012

From the back:

"A young girl disappears while cycling to volleyball practice. Her bike is found in exactly the same place that another girl was murdered, thirty-three years before. The original perpetrator was never brought to justice - could they have struck again? The eeriness of the crime unsettles not only the police and public, but also someone who has been carrying a burden of guilt for many years.

Detective Kimmo Joentaa calls upon the help of his colleague Jetola, who worked for the original murder, in the hope that they can solve both cases. But as their investigation begins, Kimmo discovers that the truth is not always what you expect."

***

About the author:

"Jan Costin Wagner was born in 1972 in Langen/Hesse near Frankfurt. After studying German language, literature and history at Frankfurt University, he went on to work as a journalist and freelance writer. He divides his time between Germany and Finland (the home country of his wife). His first crime novel featuring Detective Kimmo Joentaa was Ice Moon (2006) and Silence (2010) is the second in the series. Silence won the 2008 German Crime Prize."

***

Reserved for eicuthbertson's Murder in Translation VBB.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, February 23, 2012

It felt weird reading an English-language book set in Finland and with Finnish characters. Although it's been translated from German, at times it sort of felt like a translation from Finnish, particularly with dialogue. The author probably knows at least some Finnish, too.

Nevertheless, this was an enjoyable, engaging book.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Friday, March 23, 2012

I chose this from eicuthbertson's Murder in Translation VBB. In the past year, I've been exploring the Nordic mystery genre. I believe this will be my first time reading a novel set in Finland and I'm very much looking forward to it. Thank you, Annimanni, for sending it so promptly!

Journal Entry 4 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Thursday, October 18, 2012

I hadn't heard of this author until I saw his book listed by Annimanni in the VBB. I decided to borrow his first book, Ice Moon, from our public library to read first. It was a good story, and I liked this second book, Silence, even more. However, the books are quite bleak, with some graphic scenes, and nothing much to lighten the mood. Still, this was a good psychological thriller, with the author presenting the points-of-view of all the people involved: victim's family, criminal, investigators, even witnesses and bystanders. I was also happy about the setting in Finland, a country I would like to learn more about. Thanks again, Annimanni, for sending this book to Canada!

I've reserved this book for bookstogive's Mystery/Thriller/Suspense VBB.

Journal Entry 5 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Monday, May 06, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (5/6/2013 UTC) at Waterloo, Ontario Canada

Sent to bookstogive, who chose it from her Mystery/Suspense/Thriller VBB. I hope you enjoy this book!

Journal Entry 6 by wingbookstogivewing at Springville, Tennessee USA on Sunday, May 12, 2013

I received this great sounding book as my selection from the Mystery VBB, thanks so much for offering it! I am looking forward to reading it very soon and then it can continue to travel. Thanks also for the labels and stickers-they are always welcome :)