corner corner War Horse

War Horse
by Michael Morpurgo | Other
Registered by wingMinerva101wing of Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, February 12, 2012

status (set by Crossing-Guard): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by wingMinerva101wing from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, February 12, 2012

This is a beautiful book that I read years ago. Michael Morpurgo writes with incredible grace and compassion. Though this books reads a little like Black Beauty it is definitely a story all it's own.

Product Description
From master storyteller, Michael Morpurgo comes an incredibly moving story about one horse's experience in the deadly chaos of the first world war. In 1914, Joey, a young farm horse, is sold to the army and thrust into the midst of the war on the Western Front. With his officer, he charges towards the enemy, witnessing the horror of the frontline. But even in the desolation of the trenches, Joey's courage touches the soldiers around him.

Journal Entry 2 by wingMinerva101wing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 12, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (5/12/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this fabulous book to the Bookcrossing meeting today to find a new reader.

Journal Entry 3 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, May 13, 2012

I'm interested in the book after the hype about the movie.

Journal Entry 4 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, February 21, 2013

The author tells the story through the experiences of Joey, the horse and it is an enjoyable, quick read, though it did make me tear up a little but I managed to keep the book dry.

Journal Entry 5 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 09, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (3/9/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking the book to the Calgary BC Meetup at the Joshua Tree Cafe today.

Journal Entry 6 by wingCrossing-Guardwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 09, 2013

Picked this up at today's meeting. How did I come home with so many books? Adding to my TBR mountain.

Journal Entry 7 by wingCrossing-Guardwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 13, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (7/13/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Where to start with one... it is both beautiful with its moments of light and humanity but also depressing, heart breaking and frightening. The fact that it takes place in a war that happened only deepens the emotional impact. Telling the story from the horses point of view allows the author an opportunity to get away from the good versus bad guys and instead looks at the individuals caught up in a horrible situation. Makes me proud that such young men could risk their own lives in an attempt to make the world a better place but also hope and pray that peace will come and that no one has to make this sacrifice again.

War has lots of death and that is July's Calgary meet up theme. Taking this book there.

Journal Entry 8 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, July 14, 2013

I picked this book up at the July book crossing meeting.

Journal Entry 9 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, November 17, 2013

I didn't want to see the movie and I put off reading the book but when November's theme was war I thought it was time. I thought I would sob but I only teared up....thank goodness it would have been very embarrassing as I finished the book while riding the bus. It is a beautifully written story told in a simple style. It is about friendship and compassion and the toll of war on everyone. I'm glad that I read the book.

Journal Entry 10 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, December 14, 2013

Released 10 mos ago (12/14/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking this to the December book crossing meeting to be shared with another reader

Journal Entry 11 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, December 14, 2013

Picked up this book at the Calgary BookCrossing December meet-up. I never saw the movie or the play so it'll be neat to check out the source material without any preconceptions.

Journal Entry 12 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 11, 2014

I thought this book would be incredibly depressing, and there are really sad parts, but you get a lovely happy ending in the end. I think it's because it's written so simply. Joey has uncomplicated view of the world. Good company gets him through the war. I kind of want to see the movie now.

Journal Entry 13 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 11, 2014

Released 9 mos ago (1/11/2014 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Passing this book along to the next reader at the Calgary BookCrossing January meet-up.

Journal Entry 14 by soccergal at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, September 12, 2014

Such a well written book, but so depressing at times. I'm glad I read the book as I couldn't go to the movie...didn't want to be bawling out in puplic!

Journal Entry 15 by soccergal at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, September 12, 2014

Released 1 mo ago (9/12/2014 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Bringing back to the Bookcrossing monthly meeting.

Journal Entry 16 by wingCrossing-Guardwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 13, 2014

Picked this up at the September Calgary meet up. There was no one else that wanted to read it. I am saving this for release to my Little Free Library.