corner corner Alone on a Wide Wide Sea (Collins Readers)

Alone on a Wide Wide Sea (Collins Readers)
by Michael Morpurgo | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingMinerva101wing of Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, February 12, 2012

status (set by Eri-Cherry): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingMinerva101wing from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, February 12, 2012

This book is nothing short of spectacular! Michael Morpurgo has outdone himself with this novel.

Review
"Lyrical and moving, it is one of the former Children's Laureate's best books for years." Amanda Craig, The Times "His best book in years! I was completely hooked." Kate Kellaway, The Observer Review "A powerful story." The Guardian Children's Books Supplement 'Executed with Morpurgo's distinctive flair. His language remains beautifully clean and clear.' Waterstone's Books Quarterly "[A] very satisfying read! The masterful writing makes the characters come to life on the page! I'm recommending this to adult friends as well as teenagers." Books for Keeps "Michael Morpurgo strikes gold! this is a life-rewarding novel." Angels & Urchins "This is storytelling at its best." Primary Times "Incredibly moving, harrowing and completely unputdownable. A first class story that brings history alive." My Child magazine "Completely unputdownable." Families Magazine
Product Description
How far would you go to find yourself? The lyrical, life-affirming new novel from the bestselling author of Private Peaceful There were dozens of us on the ship, all up on deck for the leaving of Liverpool, gulls wheeling and crying over our heads, calling good-bye! That is all I remember of England. When six-year-old orphan Arthur Hobhouse is shipped to Australia after WWII he loses his sister, his country and everything he knows. Overcoming enormous hardships with fellow orphan Marty, Arthur is finally saved by the extraordinary people he meets and by his talent for boat-design and sailing. Now he has built a special boat for his daughter Allie -- a solo yacht designed to carry her to England in search of his long-lost sister. Will the threads of Arthur's life finally come together? I was there on the quayside to see Allie take her out for the first time, saw her dancing through the waves, and I knew I'd never built a finer boat.
About the Author
Multi-award winning author, Michael Morpurgo, is one of Britain's best-loved writers for children and has won many prizes, including the Smarties Prize, The Writers Guild Award and the Blue Peter Book Award for his recent novel, Private Peaceful, which has also had two successful runs as a play devised by Bristol Old Vic. From 2003 to 2005 he was the Children's Laureate, a role which took him all over the UK to promote literacy and reading, and in 2005 he was named the Booksellers Association Author of the Year.

Journal Entry 2 by wingMinerva101wing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 12, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (5/12/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this spectacular book to the Bookcrossing meeting at the Joshua Tree Cafe today. One of my most favorite books ever!

Journal Entry 3 by wingCrossing-Guardwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, May 14, 2012

I was told that this was a great novel and that I just must read it... So it has come home with me, along with many others. Being added to the TBR Mountain.

Journal Entry 4 by wingCrossing-Guardwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 05, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (1/5/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I'm moving, so in an effort to reduce the amount I have to move I am passing books that multiple people wanted to the next person. This is a book I want to read and therefore want back, just not until I am settled in my new place.

Are you in the Calgary area and interested in meeting up with other Calgary BookCrossers? Please check out our facebook group, "BookCrossing Calgary" for details on how. Meeting are held on the second Saturday of every month at the Joshua Tree Cafe starting at 11am. New Crossers are always welcome.

Journal Entry 5 by wingFraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 06, 2013

Picked this book up at the Calgary BookCrossers post-Christmas and New Year celebration at The Dove's Nest.

Journal Entry 6 by wingFraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, June 03, 2013

Indeed, this was a spectacular book. I was moved on so many occasions in reading this story.

Although it is a work of fiction, it tells the story of so many orphans who were unable to.

Thank you so much for sharing this unforgettable story with me. May it find many more readers!

Journal Entry 7 by wingFraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, June 03, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (6/4/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to a mini-meet-up, so it may be returned to the Calgary BookCrossing group for circulation.

Journal Entry 8 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Powerful story. It brought the problem of the orphans to my attention in a very big way. Great read and touches your soul.

Journal Entry 9 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, September 13, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (9/14/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this to the September meeting at Cravings. Time for it to find a new reader.

Journal Entry 10 by wingCrossing-Guardwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, September 15, 2013

Picked this up at September's meet up. Adding to my TBR pile.

Journal Entry 11 by wingCrossing-Guardwing at Langdon, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Interesting look at what could have happened to one of the thousands of British Orphans who were sent to Australia. I can't imagine being a young child who has no idea who they are and living in a strange country under less than ideal circumstances. Especially when separated from a sibling. At least this "story" has happy moments in it and ultimately the family gets some resolution, albeit many years later than they would have hoped.

Journal Entry 12 by wingCrossing-Guardwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 12, 2014

Released 2 mos ago (7/12/2014 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking this to Calgary's July meet up. Theme this month is "Australia, Africa & Asia", I think this book fits the theme nicely!

Journal Entry 13 by wingmegami-no-ushiwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, July 13, 2014

Picked up at the meeting yesterday!

Journal Entry 14 by wingmegami-no-ushiwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, August 30, 2014

Released 5 days ago (9/13/2014 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the September "children" themed meeting. I loved the ending, and anyone who knows me IRL can probably figure out what I found so completely charming. :) I was also really quite taken with the entire albatross plot line.

To the finder:

Journal Entry 15 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Picked up at get together