corner corner A Red Herring Without Mustard

A Red Herring Without Mustard
by Alan Bradley | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingMinerva101wing of Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, February 10, 2012

status (set by megami-no-ushi): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingMinerva101wing from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, February 10, 2012

I haven't read this one, but I did notice it on a fellow book crossers wish list :)

Product Description
In the third installment of this bestselling, award-winning, sister-poisoning, bicycle-riding, murder-investigating, and utterly captivating series, Flavia de Luce must draw upon Gypsy lore and her encyclopaedic knowledge of poisons to prevent a grave miscarriage of justice.

“You frighten me,” the old Gypsy woman says. “Never have I seen my crystal ball so filled with darkness.” So begins eleven-year-old Flavia de Luce’s third adventure through the charming but deceptively dark byways of the village of Bishop’s Lacey. The fortune teller also claims to see a woman who is lost and needs help to get home—and Flavia knows it must be her mother Harriet, who died when Flavia was less than a year old. The Gypsy’s vision opens up old wounds for our precocious yet haunted heroine, and sets her mind racing in search of what it could mean.

When Flavia later goes to visit the Gypsy at her encampment, she certainly doesn’t expect to find the poor old woman lying near death in her caravan, bludgeoned in the wee hours. Was it an act of retribution by those who thought that the woman had abducted a local child years before? Certainly Flavia understands the bliss of settling scores; revenge is a delightful pastime when one has two odious older sisters. But how can she prove this crime is connected to the missing baby? Did it have something to do with the weird sect who met at the river to practice their secret rites?

While still pondering the possibilities, Flavia stumbles upon a corpse—that of a notorious layabout and bully she had only recently caught prowling about Buckshaw. The body hangs from a statue of Poseidon in Flavia’s very own backyard, and our unflappable sleuth knows it’s up to her to figure out the significance. Pedalling her faithful bicycle, Gladys, across the countryside in search of clues to both crimes, Flavia uncovers secrets both long-buried and freshly stowed—the dodgy dealings of a local ironworks, the truth behind the Hobblers’ secret meetings, her own ancestor’s ambitious plans—all the while exhausting the patience of Inspector Hewitt. But it’s not long before the evidence starts falling into place, and Flavia must take drastic action to prevent another violent attack.

Journal Entry 2 by wingMinerva101wing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 11, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (2/11/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this book to the Bookcrossing meeting for Fracula since I spotted it on her wishlist :)

Journal Entry 3 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, February 12, 2012

Thank you so much for the RABCK! I really enjoyed #1, so will report back when I've read this.

Journal Entry 4 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Thanks, minerva101 for bringing me this wishlist book!

Since I knew it was calling to me, I made sure I read #2 to get up to speed. I just love Flavia, the eleven year old sleuth, who puts the local inspectors to shame!

Having just read Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs #5 (An Incomplete Revenge) I was amused by the common elements in these two stories. Gypsies played a large element in the mystery and intrigue and Maisie Dobbs is exactly like who I'd expect Flavia to grow up and be.

A wonderful read with such a satisfying mystery.

Journal Entry 5 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 12, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (5/12/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Released at the Calgary May meet-up of BookCrossers at the Joshua Tree Café.

Journal Entry 6 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, May 13, 2012

I have the first book on Mt TBR and this is book 3 so it may be on the shelf a little while. Fracula's comments about it reminding her of a younger Maisie might make it jump the queue a bit.

Journal Entry 7 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, October 12, 2012

Flavia is not a girl to cross - she has a dark side to her that is waiting to be released. I liked the writing style of the author with nice turns of phrase and inventive descriptions but I would be confused about what century the story was set. Somehow the storyline would make me think it was set in the previous century and I would have to try and place which decade it was set; the Thirties, Forties or Fifties? I'm still not sure.

Journal Entry 8 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 13, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (10/13/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to the Calgary BC Meetup at the Joshua Tree Cafe today.

Journal Entry 9 by wingcrossingguardmawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 13, 2012

Safely in my hands from the bookcrossing meeting.

Journal Entry 10 by wingcrossingguardmawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 11, 2014

I enjoyed this book because I found Flavia to be such an interesting girl. What I found difficult was all the bits and pieces and information and people. In the end I couldn't remember who they were!

I like how the author throws in chemistry knowledge. Chemistry always baffled me.....

Journal Entry 11 by wingcrossingguardmawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 11, 2014

Released 11 mos ago (1/11/2014 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this book to our monthly bookcrossers meet up at Cravings - the second Saturday of every month- to pass on to the next reader.

Journal Entry 12 by wingHerchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 11, 2014

I have books 1 & 2 on my bookshelf waiting to be read already, so I was given this one at the January meetup to give me a push to read them.

Journal Entry 13 by wingHerchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, April 11, 2014

Took #3 off my TBR pile so that I could return all three Flavia de Luce books to the group. I was curious about Hobblers, so I googled them for information. How interesting that the third link brought me to this book and many reviews, all at least 4 stars!
2/3 done and I will finish by the meetup tomorrow.

I loved this book! The suspense in the tunnel was truly delicious, but too soon I found myself looking at the empty pages at the back of the book. But there is hope! On the back cover, I happily saw that Alan Bradley is "currently working on the next Flavia de Luce mystery".
BRING IT ON!

Journal Entry 14 by wingHerchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 12, 2014

Released 7 mos ago (5/10/2014 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Sorry that I couldn't make it to the April meetup, but I will bring all three Flavia de Luce books back to the group in May.

Journal Entry 15 by reader_yz at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, May 11, 2014

Picked up at BC meeting

Journal Entry 16 by reader_yz at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Another one in the series about delightful and wicked Flavia who is exasperating local police and embarrassing her family with her sleuthing. Enjoyed it very much!

Journal Entry 17 by reader_yz at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Released 4 mos ago (8/9/2014 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

will bring to BC meeting

Journal Entry 18 by wingcrossingguardmawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, August 10, 2014

This book is back in my hands as I have books 1 & 2. Will keep together to bring all 3 back to the group....

Journal Entry 19 by wingcrossingguardmawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 08, 2014

Released 1 mo ago (11/8/2014 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Journal Entry 20 by wingmegami-no-ushiwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 08, 2014

Picked up at the November meeting.