corner corner The Silver River

The Silver River
by Ben Richards | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingpam99wing of Ochiltree, Scotland United Kingdom on 2/5/2012

status (set by AnonymousFinder): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingpam99wing from Ochiltree, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, February 05, 2012

Grabbed this one in a quick whirl around a 'five books for £1' charity shop while waiting for my sister. Noticed that the main character is from Uruguay although I think the book is set in London, so I may well count this for the 666 challenge!

Journal Entry 2 by wingpam99wing at Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Took a couple of chapters to get into this, but then I really enjoyed it. The book cuts between the lives of Nick, an English journalist, and Orlando, a Uruguayan refugee working as a cleaner in Nick's office. The chapters about Uruguay and Latin America in the 1970s were fascinating but the English characters were less sympathetic. Overall a good read and really interesting themes about migration, invisibility, race and class.

Going to offer this one as an international bookray.

Journal Entry 3 by wingpam99wing at Troon, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (3/5/2012 UTC) at Troon, Scotland United Kingdom

Got this international bookray going yesterday after forgetting that the Post Office in Troon closes at lunchtime on a Saturday:

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by Elskaliam at Hässleholm, Skåne Sweden on Friday, March 09, 2012

Thank you Pam! Book arrived today, it will be my next read.

Journal Entry 5 by Elskaliam at Hässleholm, Skåne Sweden on Monday, March 19, 2012

An okey read. Not quite my cup of tea, but I'm glad I read it.

Journal Entry 6 by Elskaliam at Hässleholm, Skåne Sweden on Monday, March 19, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (3/19/2012 UTC) at Hässleholm, Skåne Sweden

Off to the next reader in Finland!

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Received with thanks! I have a couple of other books I have to read first, but I'll get to this asap, too.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, April 13, 2012

Like pam99, I struggled a bit with the first couple of chapters, but then got hooked. Interesting characters with emotional depth and a political background to an engaging story. I've lived in London (and in Watford, too, which got several mentions) so was easily able to picture the locations in my mind, which is always a plus. All in all, a very enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing!

And now off to check who's next!

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, April 15, 2012

Update: Sedna5213 asked to be skipped, so I'll contact KiwiinEngland next for their new address.

Journal Entry 10 by kiwiinengland at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, May 18, 2012

Thank you for sending on this bookrings.

For ease of reference, I am copying the list of people taking part from the forum to the book journal

1. Elskaliam - Sweden, Int'l
2. Annimanni - Finland, Int'l
3. Sedna5213 - Germany, Int'l
4. KiwiinEngland - NZ, NZ/Aus preferred
5. Sherlockfan - NZ

Journal Entry 11 by kiwiinengland at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, June 23, 2012

I struggled with this, as most of the characters were self absorbed and unsympathetic and I didn't really care what happened to them. Orlando was probably the nicest person, but even he had destroyed his family by being obsessed with his own way of living.

I did find the information about Uruguay interesting, but wouldn't recommend the book.

Journal Entry 12 by kiwiinengland at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The next reader, Sherlockfan, has recently had eye surgery which meant reading was less enjoyable for them.

We see each other at the Wellington meet ups, but Sherlockfan was unable to make the last one due to family commitments. They are about to go on a holiday to Europe, so I shall pass this book on when they return.

The book is safe and well and says hello to all its previous readers.

Journal Entry 13 by kiwiinengland at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (9/11/2012 UTC) at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

After too many months it looks like Sherlockfan and I will be at the Wellington bookcrossing meeting at the same time. Hurrah! I shall pass this bookring on tonight.

Journal Entry 14 by Sherlockfan at Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Met with KiwiinEngland who is no longer in England. We were at D4, a bar and restaurant in Featherston Street, where Wellington Bookcrossers were having their regular meet-up. It should be a great asset for my 666 challenge that has been falling behind a little while we've been travelling.
Thanks very much for keeping this for me KiE.

Journal Entry 15 by Sherlockfan at Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, November 04, 2012

This was a rather strange book for me with two very disparate strands running through. I have abysmal knowledge of political history in Uruguay or continguous countries and now have a slight amount. Not somewhere I’d like to have been.
There is one main character in each part of the book. Orlando from Uruguay is the more likeable person at the stage of life he is in now. Nick, the journalist in England is struggling to find his way. I’ve always thought that the lives of journalists must be rather cut off from real life even though they are generally right in the thick of other folk’s real lives. Confess that I couldn’t really identify the silver river running through each story – perhaps I wasn’t being sufficiently analytical. I’m glad I read it though and would rate it a seven.

No one has it on a wish list at present.

Journal Entry 16 by Sherlockfan at Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, November 29, 2012

This is a good book and should be out and about being read so I'll place in our OBCZ (Official BookCrossing Zone) very close to my house. Books are caught from there very regularly but seldom are they journalled. Hopefully this one might be.

Journal Entry 17 by Sherlockfan at Fig Tree Cafe & Delicatessen in Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, November 29, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (11/29/2012 UTC) at Fig Tree Cafe & Delicatessen in Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand

Greetings, dear reader,
If you are new to BookCrossing and find this book and this site; welcome!
Enjoy the site, the book and hopefully the BookCrossing community.
I hope you'll join BookCrossing (doesn't cost anything to join!) and if you do, please consider using me, Sherlockfan, as the member who referred you. If you are an old hand at BookCrossing, thanks for picking up the book!
Either way, I hope you'll make a journal entry so all the future readers can track this book's journey.
Thanks, and Happy Crossing!

Journal Entry 18 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Whitby, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, June 03, 2013

Enjoyable read, something a bit different. Likeable characters.