corner corner Dark Companions

Dark Companions
by RAMSEY CAMPBELL | Horror
Registered by wingjarewing of Hudson, Florida USA on 10/5/2003

status (set by jare): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by wingjarewing from Hudson, Florida USA on Sunday, October 05, 2003

Received in trade, currently in my TBR.

Cover blurb:

Come Close. Meet your dark companions...

Poor Elaine is working late at the office again, with no company but the smell of dust and old paper. But something sinister moves in the elevator shaft....something ghastly, down there. In a way, the worst thing is the absence of a cry. Miles is alone in his new house...the murderer's house. His sleep is free of nightmares. They only come when he jerks suddenly awake.

Drawn in closer.

Thorpe is investigating some file cabinets. What is that unnatural sound he hears? A trapped bird scrabbling in the chimney?

This is a collection of short stories, the stories are:

Mackintosh Willy
Conversion
The Chimney
Call First
The Companion

Journal Entry 2 by wingjarewing at Tampa, Florida USA on Thursday, October 24, 2013

This is a great collection of stories. Campbell has such a gift for subtle horror, and this collection highlights that very gift. I have to admit to normally not being a huge fan of short stories. I have to read a few at a time in between longer works of fiction. Takes a while but then I get to enjoy the stories a lot more! If you like ghosts and things that creep up on you in the dark, this is a great collection of stories for you!

So now, after all these years on my shelves, this book will be traveling soon!