corner corner Bodily Harm

by Margaret Atwood | Literature & Fiction
Registered by estherase on 10/4/2003

status (set by vicki9170): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by estherase on Saturday, October 04, 2003

Bought in Oxfam- either to be read or released, depending on whether someone asks for it before I get 'round to reading it.

Journal Entry 2 by estherase on Sunday, October 05, 2003

Right, mini-ray (unless more people get interested...)

If you'd like to be included at any time, please PM me, and I'll add you on to the list.

List so far:
1:Jalna UK
2:Thechinasourcer UK
3: Vi0let Finland

When it you've finished reading the book, please PM the next person on the list to request their address, and if you haven't had a reply from them after a week and two PM's, please move on to the next person on the list. If there is one...

Phew!

Journal Entry 3 by jalna from Wrexham, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, October 17, 2003

This will be only my second Margaret Atwood so I am keen to see how I like it, compared to The Handmaid's Tale which I loved.

Journal Entry 4 by jalna from Wrexham, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 04, 2003

Well, I'm sorry to say that I didn't like this at all. I thought it was draggy and slow and I had no interest in any of the characters.

I've always *hated* to give up on a book, but I've got so many Rings, Rays and TBRs piling up that it seemed silly to pursue this one when I was not enjoying the experience, so I gave up after about a third of it.

I'm sending it on to The ChinaSourcer today and I hope she will get pleasure from it.

Journal Entry 5 by ChinaSourcer from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, November 07, 2003

Received in the post today, many thanks.

Journal Entry 6 by ChinaSourcer from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 02, 2003

I just couldn't get into this, tried a couple of times, but it's not my type of book. Thanks Esther for the chance to read it.

Posted today to ViOlet

Journal Entry 7 by vi0let from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, December 04, 2003

Received today, thanks. I´m currently in the middle of 6 books, so I´ll try to finish one of them before reading this one.

Update 8/12
Another bookray-book arrived last Friday and one is coming up soon (unless it´s shipped via slow boat), so I might not have time to read this one. I´ll see what the situation is after a week or so.

Journal Entry 8 by vi0let from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, December 17, 2003

I´m not sure if I´ll read this, so I posted in the forums:http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum2/20/266975/1
If someone is interested, I´ll pass the book along without reading it.

It turned out that quite many people were interested.
MAILING ORDER:
Lim1bd in UK (international)
LeighBCD in UK (international)
Bibliovore in Canada (international)
KarenZero in New York, USA (prefers US only)
Ahythloday in Washington, USA (international)
Weeblet in Virginia, USA (prefers US only, but can ship anywhere)
Clawdette in Lousiana, USA (prefers US only)
Vicki19170 in Florida, USA (international)
Fanclub in Hawaii, USA (prefers US/Canada, but can ship anywhere)
Caligula03 in California, USA (international)

Update 16/1
Bodily Harm has been mailed to Lim1bd in UK!

Journal Entry 9 by lim1bd on Wednesday, January 21, 2004

I actually enjoyed this book. It was a failry easy read, and although I still have some unresolved questions, it enjoyed both the story and the themes immensely.

Am PMing LeighBCD for her address now.

Journal Entry 10 by LeighBCD on Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Hi - received this in yesterday's mail. I had just started to read another book but have put that one aside in favour of this so that I can get the book moving as soon as possible. I like Margaret Atwood a lot, I hope I enjoy this!

Journal Entry 11 by LeighBCD on Friday, February 06, 2004

Unfortunately I could not get into this at all... every now and again, one of Margaret Atwood's novels really disappoints me. Cat's Eye was one and I am afraid this was another. I found myself skipping whole pages of dialogue as I could not care about Rennie's prior life at all. I also did not like how Atwood changed the narrative voice from first to third person, it was disorientating.

I am very glad I joined this bookray, however, since I do enjoy Margaret Atwood's books for the most part. I will obtain address details for the next person in the chain and will send the book out early next week.

Update March 2004: I have received a PM from Bibliovore acknowledging receipt of the book.

Journal Entry 12 by LeighBCD at on Wednesday, February 11, 2004

Released on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 at To Bibliovore in Gatineau, Quebec Controlled Releases.

Journal Entry 13 by Bibliovore on Friday, March 05, 2004

*I want you to believe me.* POW!

I found this book fantastic and depressing at the same time. I guess only great authors can make their readers feel that way. Its scope is unbelievable, but what comes out the strongest, in my humble opinion, is the theme of appearances. Rennie was brought up in a world where appearances are all important, yet they are associated with immobility and death. She chose a job where she can observe from a distance, but what she scrutinizes is superficial, and her own life is desperately shallow. Throughout the novel, she will strive to find out whether she is a helpless observer (the image of her grandmother, looking for her hands is terribly haunting)or a real human being, alive and capable of making a difference.

In the end, she will live, or hurry to live while there is still time, but she is saved, for she is Renata (born again, how ironical!)

Speaking of irony... The twin islands of St. Antoine and St. Agathe bear the names of Quebec rural towns. Is this about Quebec's condition as an oppressed country, or a backward province? And to hear a Canadian High Commissionner speak of the St. Antoine government *overreacting* in the face of *a completely minor insurrection*... An allusion to the October Crisis? Ha!

Thanks to estherase and to all the bookring participants! Its a great novel, well worth reading by men and women alike, despite (or rather because of) its feminist outlook.

Journal Entry 14 by KarenZero from Brooklyn, New York USA on Friday, March 12, 2004

I received the book today and am looking forward to it. I have spring break next week...I might actually have time to read the book!

Journal Entry 15 by KarenZero from Brooklyn, New York USA on Sunday, April 04, 2004

I finally finished! I enjoyed the book but wasn't sure how I felt about the ending. Overall, an interesting read.
Gotta love Atwood!

Journal Entry 16 by KarenZero at Post Office, see notes in New York City, New York USA on Sunday, April 11, 2004

Released on Saturday, April 10, 2004 at Post Office in New York, New York USA.

Postal release to Ahythloday in WA!

Journal Entry 17 by ahythloday from Richmond, Virginia USA on Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Just got this in the mail. ahhhhh, i love margaret atwood!!! i'll start right away so as not to hold up the ring. thanks a bunch!

Journal Entry 18 by ahythloday from Richmond, Virginia USA on Wednesday, April 21, 2004

This was definately an earlier work! While her characters are still wonderful, they are NOTHING to her later work "the robber bride". Still, I could definately feel that this was a true Atwood novel... it had the same outlandish and almost sci fi feel without being either of those. she certainly has her own style.

Journal Entry 19 by weeblet from Jacksonville, Florida USA on Wednesday, July 07, 2004

got it! thanks :)

Journal Entry 20 by weeblet from Jacksonville, Florida USA on Tuesday, July 13, 2004

first, i must get this off my chest: abominable cover!
i feel better now :)
i liked this a lot more than i thought i would (i recently read 'life before man', and didn't care for it).
i really liked the political aspect of it- seemed right on target to me.
here's an essay she wrote last year:
thanks for sharing!
mailing soonly...

Journal Entry 21 by weeblet from Jacksonville, Florida USA on Friday, July 23, 2004

mailing today to clawdette :)

Journal Entry 22 by clawdette from Houma, Louisiana USA on Tuesday, July 27, 2004

recieved yesterday, will journal when read

Journal Entry 23 by clawdette from Houma, Louisiana USA on Monday, May 23, 2005

kind of hard to get into...a bit confusing story line for me...but I got through it...releasing to vicki9170 today

Journal Entry 24 by vicki9170 from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Saturday, May 28, 2005

received today