corner corner The White Horse of Zennor and other stories

The White Horse of Zennor and other stories
by Michael Morpurgo | Children's Books
Registered by madmadge of Alderholt, Hampshire United Kingdom on 1/23/2012

status (set by kayjay33): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by madmadge from Alderholt, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 23, 2012

I bought this for my granddaughter Kim - she needs a children's book to discuss at her interview at Plymouth University next week. I have been to Zennor and hope to be able to read it before I pass it on to her.

At the furthest edge of Britain where the sea gently washes over the land and myths brush against reality, lies Zennor. Set in a churchtown where men become beasts and ghosts roam freely, are haunting and unforgettable tales where magic lies around every corner.

Journal Entry 2 by madmadge at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Friday, February 10, 2012

Kim chose another book to take to her interview so I'm reading this one now. It's delightful and I plan to offer it as a ring.

Journal Entry 3 by madmadge at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Monday, February 13, 2012

I really enjoyed this book, despite it being written for children. It made me want to visit the magical village of Zennor again and maybe I will one day. A bit dark in places and uplifting in others. Makes you almost believe in magic.

Journal Entry 4 by madmadge at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Friday, February 24, 2012

I'm now making this into a ring. Here is the order:

penelopewanders
smurphie
klaradyn (has asked to be removed due to cost of postage)
hyphen8
kayjay33

Journal Entry 5 by madmadge at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Sunday, March 04, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (3/5/2012 UTC) at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom

Posting off to penelopewanders tomorrow. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Sunday, March 11, 2012

This looks like a practically new copy - and I'm first in line for this ring - thank you so much. This has arrived safely in the Swiss alps. I have another ring in front of it, but I'll be taking the train later this week and this looks ideal for a train journey (or at least part of one...) as it's quite light. I've enjoyed Morpurgo in the past and have found his books good for using with some of my EFL classes. So I'll be reading this one with that in mind.
Thanks for making this available.

Journal Entry 7 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Friday, March 16, 2012

Tales of fairies and other wee folk... There are some I've never heard of (knockers?) so I'll have to get out the dictionary and check them out. Very sweet little collection of short stories which do wrap up nicely with the last one. I could imagine using this with an EFL class, so I'll have to get a copy of my own. Forgot to write for the next address so I'll do that now. Thanks so much for making this one available.

Journal Entry 8 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Thursday, March 22, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (3/22/2012 UTC) at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland

Now galloping (ok, maybe trotting, as it's going slowpost) down the Swiss Alps and over to Scotland. Maybe bringing some of the lovely spring weather we've got here today? Enjoy, Smurphie, and thanks for drawing my attention to this one, Madmarge... I could imagine using this one in the classroom at some point.

Journal Entry 9 by smurphie at Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Arrived today and if this is spring well there is snow on the ground.

Away to find a bookmark and start reading :o)

Journal Entry 10 by smurphie at Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A great selection of Short Stories by one of my favourite authors.

Journal Entry 11 by smurphie at Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, May 05, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (5/8/2012 UTC) at Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom

Heading off to the next participant in this bookray.

Enjoy :o)

Journal Entry 12 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Received today: thank you madmadge for the bookring and smurphie for the lovely War Horse bookmark.

(Larger photo here.)

Journal Entry 13 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A lovely collection of stories ranging from haunting to sweet. Thank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 14 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (5/29/2012 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

The White Horse and his companions are headed for Canada to find some new friends.

I'm going to count this for GoryDetails's Chills & Spills challenge because of Mad Miss Marney.

Journal Entry 15 by wingkayjay33wing at Langley, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, June 10, 2012

I believe Madmadge put me at the end of the bookray so that I could give the book to my bookloving granddaughter. Her Mother is going to be here tomorrow but I want to read it first so will give it another time. It came a few days ago but I thought that it might be a birthday book so didn't open it until this morning on my birthday.
Thank you to everyone for sending it along , and thank you Hyphen8 for the bookmarks and bookcrossing labels.

Journal Entry 16 by madmadge at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Monday, June 11, 2012

This book has reached its final destination now - I hope you and your granddaughter enjoy it KayJay! x I'm glad that everyone else did!

I have only just remembered that my dear sister Bookcloud (who sadly passed away two weeks ago aged 52) was a great fan of Michael Morpurgo. I am thinking of releasing another in her memory so watch this space.

Journal Entry 17 by wingkayjay33wing at Langley, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I've started reading. Have finished the first two stories. Weird little things.I remember years ago reading about Knockers but they were called Tommy Knockers and I believe they lived in the tin mines.

Journal Entry 18 by wingkayjay33wing at Langley, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, June 14, 2012

This was a strange assortment of short stories but enjoyable never-the-less.I'm not quite sure what Kate (my Granddaughter) will think of all the fairies and magic. But if kids today are enjoying Harry Potter, this little book should not upset them. Thank you Marjorie for your kindness.