corner corner After Dark

After Dark
by Haruki Murakami | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Niksu of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 1/23/2012

status (set by Koivula5): available

Journal Entry 1 by Niksu from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, January 23, 2012

The midnight hour approaches in an almost empty all-night diner. Mari sips her coffee and glances up from a book as a young man, a musician, intrudes on her solitude. Both have missed the last train home.

Later, Mari is interrupted again by a girl from the Alphaville Hotel; a Chinese prostitute has been hurt by a client, and she needs Mari's help.

Meanwhile Mari's beautiful sister Eri sleeps a deep, heavy sleep that is 'too perfect, too pure' to be normal; she has lain asleep for two months. But tonight as the digital clock displays 00:00, a hint of life flickers across the TV screen, though the television's plug has been pulled out.

Strange nocturnal happenings, or a trick of the night?

Journal Entry 2 by Niksu at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The book has been on my shelf for 5 years now. Last visit to Turku I found Vintage copy of this book, the series I collect for Murakami books. So this is free to bookcross and that's why I read it finally. I like to spare his books and enjoy when the moment is perfect.

This I liked a lot, no surprise though. It was a bit easier plot but of course some surreal twists as well. Murakamis books are pure joy.

**Reserved for erpax.

Journal Entry 3 by Niksu at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, February 06, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (2/6/2012 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Off it goes to erpax. (not with helposti as I first informed but comes anyway:)) Hope you like the book!

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...

Journal Entry 4 by wingerpaxwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Many thanks Niksu! Haruki Murakami is one of my favourite authors. Thanks for offering this book!

Edit:
I totally forgot to mention this stylish and clever origami bookmark Niksu has made! I definitely have to learn how to make these. :) Thank you, Niksu!

Journal Entry 5 by wingerpaxwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, February 19, 2012

I just enjoyed reading this book! There was not a single break in its narrative flow, its narrative pacing was perfect, and there was a light feeling of tension in everything. This novel didn't have as bizarre twists as the other books I have read written by Murakami, and almost all the dreamlike elements of magic realism it had existed in the "Eri scenes". It was easy to visualize the characters, and also the conversations they had seemed real. I liked the way everything was left dangling at the end.

After Dark was as stylish and clever as its bookmark. They will now travel together forward. Many thanks, Niksu!

Journal Entry 6 by Kemppu at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, February 20, 2012

I got the book at our local bookcrossing meet-up. I'll read it first and then I'll give it to em64. Thanks!

Journal Entry 7 by Kemppu at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, March 31, 2012

An interesting book. I'm not sure if I understood it in its dream-like surrealism, if there even is a "correct" way to understand a book, but I really liked the atmosphere and the dialogue. Thanks for introducing Haruki Murakami's writing to me, everybody!
The fine bookmark will continue travelling with the book, which is now reserved for em64.

Journal Entry 8 by wingem64wing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, May 03, 2012

Thanks, got the book at the local meetup tonight.

Journal Entry 9 by wingem64wing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, May 01, 2013

I haven't read Murakami before so I had no idea of what kind of book it was. Having read this one I still don't know what kind of book it was but I did like it a lot. The story was captivating, surreal, interesting, you couldn't help but being drawn to the characters. In some passages Murakami makes the reader to be part of the story when he tells what "we" see and feel in Eri's room. When the story ends you can't help but yearn for more because you don't get to know what happens to the characters.

Journal Entry 10 by wingem64wing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, July 03, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (7/3/2014 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Kirja lähti postin matkassa seuraavalle lukijalle.

Journal Entry 11 by TiiMa at Järvenpää, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, July 03, 2014

Thank you so much em64 for sending me this as a RABCK! Lucky, that you, Niksu, found another copy, so I get to read this also :) I enjoyed so much Murakami's Kafka on the Shore - that I want to read all his novels.

***
Possibly goes to halonhakkaaja next.

Journal Entry 12 by TiiMa at Järvenpää, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, August 11, 2014

Gave for a friend to read; coming back to me.

Journal Entry 13 by TiiMa at Järvenpää, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, September 14, 2014

Back home.

Journal Entry 14 by TiiMa at Järvenpää, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Yes, I liked it a lot too :) I have nothing to add to previous comments of this book.

Journal Entry 15 by TiiMa at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, March 23, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (3/23/2015 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Towards halonhakkaaja with the courier Annimanni. Enjoy the read! This was a great book.

Thanks for the courier :) I hope you have time to read this.

Journal Entry 16 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, March 23, 2015

It's your friendly neighbourhood courier here! TiiMa gave this book to me to take to Kuopio this weekend - but I think I'll read it myself first :)

Journal Entry 17 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, March 28, 2015

My first Murakami, but most likely not the last. I enjoyed the atmosphere, the mood, the characterization, the ensemble style. Thanks for recommending this, TiiMa!

Now the book's in the safe hands of the next courier, sumako :)

Journal Entry 18 by halonhakkaaja at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland on Thursday, August 06, 2015

Thanks for this book and special thanks for couriers! Looks delicious, let's see how I like the contents...

Journal Entry 19 by halonhakkaaja at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland on Saturday, August 22, 2015

Great book! It was very touching. Sometimes I'm disappointed if there are big things left open in the end, but now I liked the end also very much.

Journal Entry 20 by halonhakkaaja at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland on Monday, April 11, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (4/13/2016 UTC) at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland

Tarjolla Kuopion bc-tapaamisessa ennen hämärän tuloa.

Journal Entry 21 by KakiPe at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland on Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Otin miitistä kaverille lukemista.

Journal Entry 22 by KakiPe at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland on Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (5/5/2016 UTC) at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland

Kaverille lukemista.

Journal Entry 23 by Koivula5 at Nivala, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland on Sunday, May 08, 2016

Thanks!

Journal Entry 24 by Koivula5 at Nivala, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland on Saturday, August 27, 2016

Hmm...
Helmet: 5 (kirjan kannesta voi tehdä kirjanaaman)
Popsugar: 6 (a book translated to English)

Mutta: osui Kirjakemmakat-viikonloppuun s. 143: "Sorry, but I don't want to talk about that -------It's kind of a delicate subject." !! :) !! :)