corner corner Amos Fortune, Free Man

Amos Fortune, Free Man
by Elizabeth Yates | Children's Books
Registered by winghyphen8wing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, January 22, 2012

status (set by allysther): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, January 22, 2012

1951 Newbery Medal winner

Based on the true story of a remarkable man named Amos Fortune: a teenaged African prince finds himself sold into slavery in colonial America. Despite many hardships, he manages to hang on to his pride and dignity, and eventually he buys his freedom and that of both his first and second wives.

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, January 22, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (1/22/2012 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Went home from our TOC Chinese New Year lunch with someone else. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingallystherwing at Waipahu, Hawaii USA on Friday, May 04, 2012

We read this book in the evenings, and it was a really good introduction to so many topics. It kept us up past our bedtime as we discussed slavery, freedom, and achievement of one's life goals. Thank you for sharing, hyphen8!

Journal Entry 4 by wingallystherwing at Hawaii Book & Music Festival in Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, May 04, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (5/5/2012 UTC) at Hawaii Book & Music Festival in Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Good luck, little book! I hope to hear from you soon!