corner corner Spook Country

Spook Country
by WILLIAM GIBSON | Literature & Fiction
Registered by judysh of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

status (set by judysh): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by judysh from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

From freecycle to bookcrossing.

Journal Entry 2 by judysh at Park Theatre & Movie Cafe in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, April 12, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (4/12/2012 UTC) at Park Theatre & Movie Cafe in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

From freecycle to bookcrossing.

Journal Entry 3 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, April 13, 2012

Thanks judysh for bringing this book to the April meet-up. I'm a fan of Wiliam Gibson so I scooped this book when it didn't seem like anyone else was interested. But I was good because I only brought home this book and I took three to the meeting!

Journal Entry 4 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, November 19, 2013

William Gibson is best known for his dark future books such as Neuromancer and that's what I was expecting this book to be. However it is more hopeful than dark and perhaps could be set right now or in the very near future. I think all the technology referred to is available now although perhaps not used as it is in this book.

Hollis Henry is a former musician who is now trying to make her living as a writer. She has been hired by a digital magazine (which may or may not exist) to go to LA and do a piece on locative art. What's locative art you ask? Artists make a digital piece of art that can only be viewed with a special helmet in a certain spot. The artists have to team up with a computer wizard who can arrange the GPS tagging and internet serving and so on. The best wizard is a fellow named Bobby Chombo. The owner of the magazine wants Hollis to interview Chombo and it soon becomes apparent that the magazine piece is only a cover for what he really wants to discover. It takes almost the whole book to find out what that is. It also takes almost the whole book to find out what a young Cuban in New York and a government spy teamed up with a drug user also in New York have to do with the story.

But it is a fast-paced ride and every step seems quite plausible. I enjoyed it very much and really wanted more. Fortunately it seems Gibson has more. Now I have to find Zero History which is a sequel to Spook Country.

Journal Entry 5 by winggypsysmomwing at Cafe D'Amour in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Released 8 mos ago (2/13/2014 UTC) at Cafe D'Amour in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I'll take this book to the meet-up tonight. If no-one takes it home you can find it on the bookshelves.

Journal Entry 6 by judysh at Seven Oaks General Hospital - 2300 McPhillips in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, February 22, 2014

Released 8 mos ago (2/22/2014 UTC) at Seven Oaks General Hospital - 2300 McPhillips in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Left on a table in the corner near the drink and snack machines, in the ER.