corner corner Oroonoko or, The Royal Slave

Oroonoko or, The Royal Slave
by Aphra Behn | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Danielle23 of Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Monday, January 16, 2012

status (set by cat207): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Monday, January 16, 2012

The tragic tale of Oroonoko, the Royal Prince, and his beautiful Imoinda.

Journal Entry 2 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Monday, January 16, 2012

I enjoyed reading this short tale. Oroonoko was such a noble character that you can't help but sympathise with him and feel the utter betrayal that he feels upon his journey. It seems a little like Romeo and Juliet at times with the 'starcros'ed lovers' but I'm not saying too much to spoil the story.

Journal Entry 3 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 01, 2012

This book is now travelling as a bookray. Enjoy the book and please try to read and pass it on within a reasonable time.

kingfan30 (UK/EU)
Stoepbrak (SA/Intl)
cat207 (AUS/Intl)
Erishkigal (US/Intl)

* Donate to the 1001 library, thank you.*

Journal Entry 4 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Friday, February 03, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (2/4/2012 UTC) at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

Off to kingfan30 to start the ray.

Thanks to all for joining xx

Journal Entry 5 by kingfan30 at Corby Glen, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 06, 2012

Book has arrived safe and sound, I started quite a large book so last week so will get to this as soon as I can :)

23 Feb 12 - I'm not sure what to say about this book, at times I was gripped and at other times my mind wondered. I'm curious about the writing style with an unusual amount of apostrophes (shou'd and receiv'd for example!), is it the era it was written in? Its certainly different to any book on slavery I have read before.

Journal Entry 6 by kingfan30 at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (2/23/2012 UTC) at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom

On its way to Caroley

Journal Entry 7 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, February 25, 2012

Received today thanks.

Journal Entry 8 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, March 03, 2012

I wasn't sure at first if I was going to be able to read this as the writing style was so different but after a couple of pages it just clicked and I was able to settle down and enjoy it. It was an interesting tale of slavery of love and I found it quite enjoyable.

Thanks for sharing Danielle. I have the next reader's address so will get this sent on asap.

Journal Entry 9 by wingelstapladorwing at Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Arrived safely with me - will start reading it tomorrow.

Journal Entry 10 by wingelstapladorwing at Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Loved the style, hated the politics. This, considering that I was rather afraid that I'd hate the first significant female author in modern English, is a better outcome than I'd expected. And really, one doesn't expect the seventeenth century to be hugely enlightened when it comes to race relations. (Nobody, including the black hero, batted an eyelid at the concept of slavery, for example.) Still, it wasn't exactly comfortable reading.

Aphra Behn tells a good yarn. I wasn't entirely sure how much she'd experienced and how much she was making up; her evocative descriptions and her colloquial style were very readable.

Journal Entry 11 by wingelstapladorwing at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (4/1/2012 UTC) at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sending on to 4evagreen. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by 4evagreen at High Peak, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 05, 2012

This book arrived with perfect timing as I had just finished my previous read so will be able to start it straight away. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 13 by 4evagreen at High Peak, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 07, 2012

Aphra Behn is herself as interesting as the story. A professional writer, is this is reputed to be the first ever novel, having turned writer after release from a debtors prison but also a spy, anti-slavery and suspected of taken a black lover, which as a white woman would have been strictly taboo back then. Behn's literary background is as a playwright and you can certainly feel this in her writing as there is a certain rhythm throughout although the strange use of punctuation, in particular apostrophes, initially feels rather odd.

It is interesting that Oroonoko is described as a person ,with handsome features, rather than a pure commodity as at the time when this book was written 'Blacks' would have been seen as lesser lifeforms but then there seems little distinction between the imported slaves and the local Indians tribes. The book can certainly be seen as anti-slavery because it is the Oroonoko who is the one having all the noble characteristics, loving, honest, brave, lenient etc. He is tricked into slavery rather than captured in battle and even his home country is depicted as having a structural society rather than just a group of Blacks running around with spears killing each other where even battles are pre-arranged.In contrast the few Whites come out with any credit. They are painted as duplicitous, cruel and cowards. However it is also a dig at socity as a whole because very few people of authority, black or white, come out totally unscathed, even the King back in Orookono's home is also seen as a liar and impotent.

But it also it can be read as a love story, Oroonoko loses his position in his homeland as a direct consequance of his love for Imoinda, also described in very flattering terms, and it is this love that eventually leads to his death.

Just waiting for lemon-crisis's address then will post it on.

Journal Entry 14 by 4evagreen at Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Friday, April 20, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (4/20/2012 UTC) at Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire United Kingdom

Lemon-crisis asked to be skipped so on its way to the next in line. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 15 by wingruzenawing at Vantaa, Uusimaa Finland on Thursday, April 26, 2012

He has arrived :)

Journal Entry 16 by wingruzenawing at Vantaa, Uusimaa Finland on Saturday, May 26, 2012

I must say it was a struggle to read this odd text. Not bad to win a struggle :) The way of writing was peculiar but interesting to learn to know. The story was important in many ways, as already reviewed by other readers. Slavery was not a one-dimensional thing, not to speak about love. And Mrs. Behn’s realism gets terrifying in the end.

I think there is not a single copy of this novel in Finnish libraries (I only found some articles about the book and the writer) and surely it would be challenging to translate; just one play by Mrs. Behn, The Rover, has been performed here, as late as 1995 in Finnish National Theater.
So I am thankful that I got acquainted with this remarkable lady.

-ruzena

I have twice asked for lunatum’s address, and got no answer, so I expect she is not willing to read the book, and Deepswamp is the next one then.

Journal Entry 17 by wingruzenawing at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, May 28, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (5/28/2012 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent to Deepswamp.

Journal Entry 18 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Thursday, May 31, 2012

Arrived safe today, with a beautiful card with Panthers in Paradise!
Thanks a lot ruzena! Loved it!

Journal Entry 19 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Sunday, July 15, 2012

I had a bit struggle to read the story, but it is interesting!
Time to travel to Germany!

Journal Entry 20 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Sunday, July 15, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (7/15/2012 UTC) at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden

To Germany!

Journal Entry 21 by Simson-Shilitoe at Neewiller-près-Lauterbourg, Alsace France on Thursday, July 26, 2012

The book arrived safe and sound in today`s mail. I have just finished another of Danielle`s bookrings and here is the next one ....

Thank you, Danielle23, for another of your bookrings.

And thank you, Deepswamp, for posting and the nice picture-postcard from Sweden.

Journal Entry 22 by Simson-Shilitoe at Neewiller-près-Lauterbourg, Alsace France on Monday, July 30, 2012

This book is two great stories in one. It'd make a great movie.
Oroonoko is an African prince, in love with the beautiful Imoinda. When his elderly, impotent and slovenly uncle the king takes her into his harem, we get a nice Romeo and Juliet scenario that ends with Oroonoko thinking his lover is dead.

Later, the mighty prince is tricked by a sea captain and taken into bondage. He is sold into slavery in South America, where even his owners recognize his majesty. There he discovers his lost love, and something about the nature of bondage.

An compelling look at the nature of bondage, slavery, the human condition, European customs, love and passion, and honor. Especially intriguin because it was written in the 17th century, when slavery wasn't even a disputed practice.

The author is of note as well; Aphra Behn was the first woman to make a living as a writer. And she knows that her perspective is unique, and uses it to add to the story. How does the narrator really feel about this handsome African prince?

Journal Entry 23 by Simson-Shilitoe at Rülzheim, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (8/2/2012 UTC) at Rülzheim, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany

Another book on its way now to Tsjara in the Netherlands. Happy journey and I hope you`ll like the book.

Journal Entry 24 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, August 11, 2012

Found this lovely package (with some beautiful stamps on it) waiting for me today. Thanks Simson-Shilitoe for sending the book, a very nice postcard and spoiling me again with all that yummy chocolate. :)
I have a couple book(ring)s in front, but will try to get to it soon.
Thanks for another 1001 bookray Danielle23!

Journal Entry 25 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, September 13, 2012

Quite enjoyed the story once I got used to the writing style (lots of capitals and apostrophes). It was rather dramatic (like the cover :p) and tragic though, and made me feel that the good guys can never really beat the bad guys (as they can lie and cheat).
The story was also interesting because of the time in which it was written. There were some funny notions like the Amazon river being almost as broad as the Thames, and tigers living in the wilderness (Oroonoko even killed one or two, though they only live in Asia, not South America). Or that if you are a Christian you can't be made into a slave (like the Frenchman they captured together with Oroonoko)..

Journal Entry 26 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, September 13, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (9/13/2012 UTC) at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands

This little book is now on its way to Stoepbrak in South Africa.
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 27 by wingStoepbrakwing at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Monday, October 08, 2012

The book arrived safely in Cape Town. Thanks for shipping it, Tsjara, and thanks to Danielle23 for hosting the ray!

Journal Entry 28 by wingStoepbrakwing at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Sunday, October 14, 2012

This turned out to be an interesting read — not so much because of the story's plot but because of what one learns about its background: the customs of the time (the book was first published in 1688), politics, (in-)humanity, perceptions and values. The author's views are clearly progressive for the period. Looking at her history and her work, I got the feeling she would have been an intriguing person to meet.

It was also fascinating to trace the roots of some of the words used today and to see how meanings, spelling and grammar have changed over the years. For instance, though I know 'awful' can be used in a positive sense as well ('inspiring awe'), this is the first time I've come across it used so frequently while never having a negative connotation.

Journal Entry 29 by wingStoepbrakwing at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Sunday, October 14, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (10/15/2012 UTC) at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa

The book is on its way to cat207 in Australia. I posted it this morning, opting for surface mail. Quite often a registered package like this gets lucky and is included with items dispatched by airmail. Only time will tell.

International tracking number: RJ021121809ZA

Journal Entry 30 by cat207 at Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Monday, October 29, 2012

Arrived in today's mail. Thank you Stoepbrak for sending on (and for the beautiful calendar bookmark), and Danielle23 for sharing. I do have a couple ahead of this one, but hopefully won't be too long.

Journal Entry 31 by cat207 at Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Saturday, December 08, 2012

A little brutal towards the end... and I found the Use of Capitals throughout the Pages most Annoying!

I have PM'd Erishkigal for an address. Mailed on.