corner corner Luminous Airplanes: A Novel

Luminous Airplanes: A Novel
by Paul La Farge | Audiobooks
Registered by wingmelydiawing of Centreville, Virginia USA on Wednesday, January 11, 2012

status (set by KateKintail): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingmelydiawing from Centreville, Virginia USA on Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Received through the Early Reviewers program on LibraryThing.com. Unabridged audiobook read by Charles Carroll, 8.25 hours on 7 CDs.

Registered in Centreville, Virginia, USA.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmelydiawing at -- Geocaches, Virginia USA on Friday, January 27, 2012

(unabridged audiobook read by Charles Carroll; 8.25 hrs on 7 discs): A 30-year-old man returns from what sounds a little like the Burning Man festival to learn that his grandfather has died and he missed the funeral. It’s the end of the 20th century and the internet bubble has burst. Facing dwindling employment in San Francisco, he journeys to the tiny town of Thebes, NY, to clean out his late grandfather’s house, where he spent his summers growing up. While he’s there he runs into childhood friends, reminisces about San Francisco of the mid-1990s, goes on about a strange homeless man named Swan, obsessively tries to dig up every scrap of information about the father who died before he was born, and generally lazes about. And that’s about it.

Alas, this book is pretty tremendously boring. For a while I was blaming the reader, whose repetitive cadence was awkward and unnatural, but I really think that’s only part of the problem. The bigger issue is that I simply could not sympathize with any of the characters. I don’t have daddy issues; I’ve never abandoned my family; I’m not a nymphomaniac; I think going through somebody else’s things is great fun; I don’t do drugs; I am not in a doomsday cult. In short, I did not care. I listened to the whole thing anyway, hoping that the plot would show up in the end. It didn’t.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmelydiawing at Ballston Common Mall in Arlington, Virginia USA on Friday, January 27, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (1/28/2012 UTC) at Ballston Common Mall in Arlington, Virginia USA

Bringing this to the BCinDC meetup at Ballston Mall in Arlington, VA. I hope it doesn't come home with me.

Journal Entry 4 by wingKateKintailwing at Burke, Virginia USA on Sunday, January 29, 2012

I picked this up today at the BCinDC meetup at Ballston Mall. I can always use audiobooks, because I do bookboxes, and though the back of this book sounds great, melydia's review is not as overwhelmingly exciting. So I'm torn. I'll probably give it a go and see what happens. Thanks!