corner corner The Man in the Picture: A Ghost Story

The Man in the Picture: A Ghost Story
by Susan Hill | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by LilyKlip of Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Saturday, January 07, 2012

status (set by chamonix44): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by LilyKlip from Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Saturday, January 07, 2012

I read this book as part of a book ring and really enjoyed it. The author was a discovery for me and the book definitely one of my favourites in 2011. I hope you enjoy it too.

This is the journal entry I made after I read it:

I loved reading this. A wonderful old fashioned ghost story. I will definetely look out for this author.

"Spoiler Alert"!!! Highlight to read it.

Some things just didn't make any sense: Theo's accident and I also didn't quite understand why "it" had to happen to Oliver too. Just because he had listened to the story? And yes, who was the man in the window?

Journal Entry 2 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Saturday, January 07, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (1/7/2012 UTC) at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany

The book was my contribution to the Favourite Book Roundabout 2011 and will travel to Boekentroll first.

A replacement book was registered after dutch-book dropped out of the roundabout.

Journal Entry 3 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Friday, January 20, 2012

Looks like an interesting read, your favorite book of 2011, LilyKlip. Look forward to read it!

Journal Entry 4 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, January 22, 2012

I liked this book :-) It had a lot of things I like: a bit of mystery, a good story teller, a bit of doom & faith.
How all male possessors of a painting are doomed, and thus their relatives, because of something that has happened in the days that the narrator of the story, Theo, an old college professor, was still young.
I think it is a good story. Told with as many words and elaborations neccessary. Maybe not a ghost story in the literal sense of the word, but it is weird, eerie, unsettling.

I'll see if there are more stories by Susan Hill that I might pick up. This was a good appetizer.

Journal Entry 5 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, January 22, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (1/23/2012 UTC) at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

And off to dutch-book, the next reader in the roundabout.
Enjoy the read!

Journal Entry 6 by dutch-book at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Arrived this week, I'm quite curious.

Journal Entry 7 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Monday, March 12, 2012

I have registered a replacement book for the favourite book roundabout:

Dear dutch-book, feel free to keep this book or pass it on at some point if you like. And all the best for you!

Journal Entry 8 by dutch-book at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Friday, April 20, 2012

Have read it a couple of days ago, at night. I must say it is scary, but subtle scary. I liked it a lot and it was a quick read as well. I've enjoyed it and will keep it traveling.

Journal Entry 9 by dutch-book at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Saturday, April 28, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (4/28/2012 UTC) at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

To the mini-meeting.

Journal Entry 10 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Saturday, April 28, 2012

This book has returned to me today, it stayed behind at the mini meeting at my place.

Since I've already read and reveiwed it, I'll make it available right away :-)

Journal Entry 11 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, April 29, 2012

I found a person who has this book on her wishlist.
Reserving it for her, and it will go out again soon :-)

Journal Entry 12 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, April 29, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (4/30/2012 UTC) at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

On its way to ..... as a wishlist RABCK. Safe travels, little book.

I hope you like it as much as I did :-) Happy BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 13 by wingchamonix44wing at Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Thank you so much for sending me this wish list book. It was a pleasure to remove it from my list! What a lovely surprise!
I really appreciate it. I hope it won't be too long until I get around to reading it, but rest assured that it will get read by me eventually! I love ghost stories!

Amazon Editorial Review
A mysterious depiction of masked revellers at the Venice carnival hangs in the college rooms of Oliver's old professor in Cambridge. On this cold night, its eerie secret is revealed by the ageing don. The dark art of the Venetian scene has the power to entrap life. To stare into the painting is to play dangerously with the unseen demons it hides.