corner corner Mother Tongue

Mother Tongue
by Bill Bryson | Literature & Fiction
Registered by grovalskii of Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on 1/5/2012

status (set by imadiver): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by grovalskii from Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Thursday, January 05, 2012

registered the book so I can send it to Finland for the wishlist game. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 2 by winglukutuoliwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, January 13, 2012

Thanks again for fulfilling my wish, grovalskii! It was a nice surprise to find some Finnish stamps between the first pages :)

www.amazon.com:

"How did English, 'treated for centuries as the inadequate and second-rate tongue of peasants' become the undisputed global language? How did words like shampoo, sofa and rowdy (and others drawn from over fifty languages) find their way into our dictionary? In this revealing and often hilarious book, Bill Bryson examines the mother tongue and explores the countless varieties of English and the perils of marketing brands with names like Pschitt and Super Piss. With entertaining sections on the oddities of swearing and spelling, spoonerisms and Scrabble, and a consideration of what we mean by 'good English', Mother Tongue is one of the most stimulating books yet written on this endlessly engrossing subject."

Journal Entry 3 by winglukutuoliwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, June 05, 2012

This was an informative and interesting book by Bryson, I liked it! There were funny anecdotes about languages and it's always hilarious to find Finnish/Finland mentioned in a non-Finnish book :)

Journal Entry 4 by winglukutuoliwing at Wishlist tag game, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (6/6/2012 UTC) at Wishlist tag game, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Next to oppem as a wishlist book - enjoy!

KTMC 2012 # 58

Journal Entry 5 by wingoppemwing at Hermiston, Oregon USA on Monday, June 11, 2012

Arrived today - many thanks for 'the tag'.
This is a book that I think my husband will also read - even though we have very disimilar tastes in books we do both like Bill Bryson..

Journal Entry 6 by fullofbeans at Hermiston, Oregon USA on Friday, July 06, 2012

My dad just finished reading this book. I will release it soon.

Journal Entry 7 by fullofbeans at Memaloose Rest Area just after Milepost 72 in -- Highways, roadsides, and services, Oregon USA on Sunday, July 08, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (7/7/2012 UTC) at Memaloose Rest Area just after Milepost 72 in -- Highways, roadsides, and services, Oregon USA

Left by car park

Journal Entry 8 by imadiver at -- Highways, roadsides, and services, Oregon USA on Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Found this book at the Memaloose Rest Area on the way home from our reenactment of the Oregon Trail Pioneers. As an English major in college, I look forward to reading this!