corner corner The Girl

The Girl
by Sonia Faleiro | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, January 04, 2012

status (set by myntti): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, January 04, 2012

From the back:

"On a gloomy November evening in a sleepy village in Goa, it's time for yet another funeral. The Girl is dead and no one in Azul is surprised. But two men who knew and loved her are achingly curious to discover what made her give up her life to the sea.

As they turn the pages of her diary, a story unravels - of loneliness and abandonment, of memories branded so deep that they return to haunt the soul, and of hope so powerful that it negates reality and opens the doors to a future that is never to be.

Richly atmospheric and written with unusual lyricism, The Girl is an outstanding debut - a tender and disquieting story about love and its infinite capacity for betrayal."

***

I bought this copy for the Favourite book of 2011 roundabout. My top two favourite reads last year were Finnish novels (not yet translated to English), but this book was definitely in the top ten, too. And since I love to read books set outside the Western world, I thought this book would be perfect for this roundabout.

Here's my original journal entry:

Journal Entry 2 by franaloe at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Friday, February 03, 2012

Thanks for this one! I have never read anything of Sonia Faleiro, and I am looking forward to getting to know this author.

Journal Entry 3 by franaloe at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Sunday, February 12, 2012

Hmmm, I am not too sure about the book (January read of the favorite 2011 book roundabout). Even though it appeared to me as a quick read, it took me quite a while to get into the story. It seemed to me as if the author wanted to make more out of the thin story by using a lot of words to describe things. The changing perspectives put me on the wrong track for a while. I haven't read too many books from Indian writers yet, but the lyrical style seems to be characteristic for them. I guess that you like it or you don't. I am curious what the others on the list think of this one.

edit 14.02.2012: The book is on its way to LiniP.

Journal Entry 4 by LiniP at Schwäbisch Hall, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Thursday, February 16, 2012

The book was waiting for me in my mail-box together with three other bookcrossing books. But I will read this one first after I have finished reading the book I am currently reading.

I am looking forward to reading this book especially because my husband is from India and I am one of the lucky ones who have actually been to Goa. I will let you know my thoughts on the book soon.

23.02.2012: I finished reading the book this morning. It was a nice read. I liked the way the people in the village and the village itself were described. I could picture myself there and it reminded me of the trip I took to Goa during the monsoon in 2009. What I did not like that much was the plot in the story. The reason why the girl killed herself were not that well described. It was a good choice for the favourite book of 2011 round-about and I am sure I probably would not have got to know about this book otherwise. Thank you for sharing.

Journal Entry 5 by LiniP at Gaildorf, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (2/23/2012 UTC) at Gaildorf, Baden-Württemberg Germany

The book is off to the next reader in the round-about today.

Journal Entry 6 by winggrovalskiiwing at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Just received the book today. Thank you!

Journal Entry 7 by winggrovalskiiwing at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

On the one hand, I really liked how in the beginning of the book, the story was told superficially by one of the young men and in the second half, the story was told in more depth and with some background information by the girl. But on the other hand, I found that I had a hard time staying with the story. I kept drifting off and having to re-read passages. I don't know why that happened, the language wasn't difficult to read like it sometimes happens in old fashioned books. But there is something about the writing style that made it not very captivating.

Interesting subject, though. I'm glad I got to read the book. Thanks for sharing, Annimanni!

Journal Entry 8 by winggrovalskiiwing at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Friday, March 23, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (3/22/2012 UTC) at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany

Mailed the book out to the next reader today

Journal Entry 9 by Qantaqa at Dachau, Bayern Germany on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Arrived today, thanks for sending and for sharing this interesting-looking book.

EDIT: I'm afraid I had to give up after reading about half of the book. It just wasn't my cup of tea. Sorry!

Journal Entry 10 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Monday, April 30, 2012

I really thought I would like this book when I read the back and the first few pages. Unfortunately it didn't hold what it promised. It states that noone was surprised when the girl died and I was kind of waiting for an explanation throughout the book which never came. Also, I was very interested in finding out why the place is called "village of the dead" - again that was not explained. I have to admit though that I just skim read the last 30 or so pages, so maybe I missed something.

Thank you for sharing it anyway. I will pass it on sometime next week.

Journal Entry 11 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (5/16/2012 UTC) at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany

And off it goes to Boekentrol.

Journal Entry 12 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Friday, May 25, 2012

This book arrived safely in my mailbox today. Will get to it soon :-)

Journal Entry 13 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Thursday, September 13, 2012

This time you find no review of the book: I haven't read it.
Despite the planning, during my holidays and afterwards I did not get to read as much as I would have wanted to. This book is sitting on my shelf, together with several other 'favorites' books. Since I can't seem to get to them because life is getting in the way, I am going to send it on now to the next in line, marsala.

Journal Entry 14 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Thursday, September 13, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (9/13/2012 UTC) at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

Together with 3 other books from the favorites roundabout, this book is now on its way to marsala.

Journal Entry 15 by marsala at Ravenstein, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Arrived here safely a couple of days ago and I've finished reading it.

I thought it was a lovely story, very beautifully written. It was just hard to get into, I had the feeling I kept on missing something. Still enjoyed it though, if only for the writing style.

I'll send it of to elstaplador sometime later this week.

Journal Entry 16 by elstaplador at Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Monday, October 01, 2012

Received today - thank you!

Journal Entry 17 by elstaplador at Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Sunday, October 14, 2012

I never really got into this, unfortunately. It was partly the purple prose; partly the fact that 'The Girl' was never named so I never felt I could relate to her (this was possibly meant to be the point, but it made for a dull read). 'I don't care what happens to these people', indeed. Possibly I'm just not in the right mood at the moment.

Journal Entry 18 by elstaplador at Favourite Book Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, October 15, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (10/15/2012 UTC) at Favourite Book Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sending on to the next reader.

Journal Entry 19 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, October 22, 2012

Came home from my holidays to find this waiting for me.

Journal Entry 20 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, November 12, 2012

Sorry I gave up on this.

Journal Entry 21 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Innsbruck, Tirol Austria on Monday, November 12, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (11/12/2012 UTC) at Innsbruck, Tirol Austria

On its way in the ring.

Journal Entry 22 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Innsbruck, Tirol Austria on Monday, November 12, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (11/12/2012 UTC) at Innsbruck, Tirol Austria

On its way in the ring.

Journal Entry 23 by ahabraken at Innsbruck, Tirol Austria on Tuesday, November 20, 2012

This book looks fascinating - look forward to reading it!

Well... I still find it fascinating - but I didn´t really get it. I thought it was quite confusing, all the different narators in one book and sometimes I was really thinking ´who is taking now?´ Maybe if I read it again, it would be more comprehensible - but I hardly ever read a book twice. All in all I didn´t think it was a bad read, but not really great either.

Sending it on!

Journal Entry 24 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa Finland on Monday, December 17, 2012

The Girl has returned to Finland for temporary respite before continuing her travels. Thanks everyone for participating.

Journal Entry 25 by wingAnnimanniwing at Sokoksen kahvila, PKS -miitti in Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (1/8/2013 UTC) at Sokoksen kahvila, PKS -miitti in Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 26 by winghippoleinwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, January 08, 2013

The Girl came to visit our home in Vuosaari. Started reading in the metro on the way home and seems promising!

Journal Entry 27 by winghippoleinwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Friday, January 11, 2013

Finished the book just now, wondering how strange it was written and how strong the feelings are that come with it. Have to tell I was glad the girl never got a name, it would have been still worse then.
First book for this new year, think it will be hard to find a better one, small as it is, before the end of the year...
Thanks a lot Annimanni for sharing!

Journal Entry 28 by winghippoleinwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Saturday, January 12, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (1/12/2013 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland

HEP-ketju

The book travels next to Tampere ;)

Journal Entry 29 by wingerpaxwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Many thanks for offering this book at Finnish forum, hippolein! Having read all of these journal entries I just had to catch this book. Thanks for sharing for everyone. :)

Journal Entry 30 by wingerpaxwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

This lyrical novel was finely crafted and full of sadness. I enjoyed reading this slowly unravelling story. Many thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 31 by wingmynttiwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Wednesday, March 20, 2013

From tonight's BC meet-up. Thanks!