corner corner The Giver

The Giver
by Lois Lowry | Teens
Registered by winggrovalskiiwing of Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on 1/2/2012

status (set by C_): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by winggrovalskiiwing from Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Monday, January 02, 2012

I really enjoyed this book, one of the best I read in 2011. That's why this will be my pick for the Favorite Roundabout 2011.

Edit: I meant to sent a note along with the book explaining why I picked this book over my other fav for 2011, but then I remembered that the German postal service doesn't like you to add any handwritten notes to the book packages, so I'll write my explanation here: My other pick would have been Room by Emma Donoghue. I loved both books, though they are very different. The only reason I ended up sending The Giver is that it is much smaller and thus won't be too much of a burden on those of us whose MTBR keeps growing instead of shrinking! :-)

Journal Entry 2 by Qantaqa at Dachau, Bayern Germany on Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Arrived a few minutes ago :) - I'm very much looking forward to reading this book (I always love reading other people's favourite books). I've never heard of this book, but two other books by Lois Lowry are on my wishlist.

Journal Entry 3 by Qantaqa at Dachau, Bayern Germany on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I'm not sure what to say about this book. I think it just reminded me too much of the books I was made to read in school... At first, I liked the story quite a lot and I definitely think it had a lot of potential, but overall, I found the book to be lacking in depth (even though it is a children's book). And the ending wasn't my cup of tea, either.
Sorry about saying such harsh words about your favourite book - but now feel free to dislike my favourite book :) !
The book is already on its way to the next reader.

Journal Entry 4 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Friday, January 27, 2012

Although it does feel a bit like a school book I really enjoyed this one. There is something very 1984 about it, a scary world where emorions are suppressed by sameness and explaining them away. I liked how the extend of weirdness of this community wasn't so obvious from the beginning but only revealed bit by bit.

Thank you for sharing this!

Journal Entry 5 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Thursday, February 16, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (2/17/2012 UTC) at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany

Will continue its journey to Boekentrol now. Consider it your book for March! ;-)

Journal Entry 6 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Friday, February 24, 2012

This book arrived safely in my mailbox today.
I'll read it soon, but since it is the roundabout's book for March, I won't start right away.

Thanks for sharing, grovalskii, it looks like an interesting book!

Journal Entry 7 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Grovalskii's book in the 2011-favorite-book roundabout.

This book, the way it described the society, reminded me vaguely off 'My' (We) by Zamyatin.

Having read the back side's synopsis, comparing it to the cover of the book, I had no idea what to expect of this book. I noticed that there are many who like it a lot and I didn't want to spoil my fun by reading spoilers, so I just got to reading the day before yesterday.
And one day later I'm already done....

It says, that the book doesn't have a whole lot of pages. But is also says, that for me it was a great read.
I liked the way the other society was pictured. I won't say that it is our future, because I'm not quite convinced that the author means that. Although he of course talks about memories of generations back.

I like a few concepts of this society: talking about dreams, emotions and in talking finding a solution. And the idea of training a child to use language carefully (although they are thought by using a small reed to correct mistakes.
What I do not like is, that people do not have real emotions, everything is colorless (I presume also tasteless), everything is regulated and children are molded to fit in the society that was created.
I can imagine that, when people do not want to feel anymore (or a long time ago a group of 'wise' men has decided that it is harmfull for the people to feel), that society needs a place of storage for their memories and feelings.

When Jonas is elected at the ceremony of Twelve, he is going to be trained to become the new Receiver. He has no idea what it means, untill the current Receiver (turning into Giver now) is transmitting memories onto him.
To cut a long story short: Jonas feels, Jonas sees colors and learns about how things used to be. And he also learns about how his ideal society deals with babies that do not live up to expectations, elderly that have served their purpose.
He struggles with his knowlegde with the feelings he now has, talks to his trainer long hours and together they make a plan for him to escape to Elswhere. Wherever that may be, whatever he may find there.
And Gabriël? Gabriël is coming along too.

Too bad this book didn't have more pages... that the story of Jonas ended so soon. Now I have to lay hands on the other parts of the trilogy...

Journal Entry 8 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (3/24/2012 UTC) at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

Off to marsala now.
Dutch-book is no longer part of the ring, and it would have been her April read. When marsala's next, it is officially her May read.

Marsala, I'm sending the book on, but please don't feel rushed to read it immediately! I enjoyed it immensely, hope you like it too!

Thank you so much for sharing, grovalskii!! The other parts of the trilogy will be going to my wishlist today :-)

Journal Entry 9 by marsala at Chiswick, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, March 29, 2012

This looks like a very interesting read!

I'm glad you chose this book over Room, grovalskii. I've allready read that book and also this is a book I hadn't heard of before.

I've finished reading it and it was definitely an interesting book. As with other utopian/dystopian books I've read it's fascinating to discover how everything works in a different world or society. What I found most interesting was the fact how language can change so many things. The fact that the people couldn't see any colors because they didn't have the words for it and didn't know the concept of colors. It makes me wonder if there are things we don't know of or can't see just because we don't have the language for it.
So I definitely think the world Lowry created was fascinating, the story itself was a bit weak. It started out well, setting the tone. But in the end it seemed very rushed, it felt like she only had so many pages left and had to fit the whole story in it. And the way it ends is incredibly frustrating. I mean, did he die, or what?

Journal Entry 10 by marsala at Favourite Book Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, May 04, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (5/4/2012 UTC) at Favourite Book Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On it's way to Elstaplador.

Journal Entry 11 by elstaplador at Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, May 10, 2012

Arrived safely! I've read this before; it will be good to revisit it.

Journal Entry 12 by elstaplador at Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Saturday, May 19, 2012

Now, this takes me back. This is another one in the Favourites roundabout (and if it looks like I'm only reading things from BookCrossing, that's because they're the only ones I've got the brain to write up at the moment).

I first read this at school - sixth form, it must have been, from the shape of the library in my mind's eye - and enjoyed it then. It was interesting to revisit it, and to find that on the whole it's very much as I remember it.

This is set in one of those dystopian societies that look very neat and tidy on the surface, and then turn out to be a little too neat and tidy when you dig a little. The titular Giver holds all the world's memories - because the world has decided it's easier without remembering things like love and war, but somebody has to have them - and is passing them on to Jonas, the new Receiver. As before, I found this concept intriguing, and was hooked on the gradual deconstruction of the society. As before, I found myself getting rather bored with the end of the story. It was quite late at night, I will admit, but it did feel as if it finished two chapters too late - though this time I picked up on the ambiguous nature of the ending.

Interesting to revisit a book I'd enjoyed before, and to see how my relationship to it has changed over the past ten years (very little, as it happens).

Journal Entry 13 by elstaplador at sent to the next bookcrosser, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, May 28, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (5/28/2012 UTC) at sent to the next bookcrosser, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Posted on to earthcaroleanne - enjoy!

Journal Entry 14 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 30, 2012

I don't usually read the blurb on the back but I did this time and it sounds intriguing.

Journal Entry 15 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 03, 2012

For such a small book this took me longer to read than I expected. When I did start and they were talking about living in communities, I groaned and thought another Hunger Games - not that I didn't think that was a great book and it was a slightly unfair on this one as it was written so much earlier. However this grew into more of a children's 1984 and raised great questions. I can see why it would have been chosen as school reading. It didn't excite me greatly but then I'm not it's target audience.

Journal Entry 16 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Innsbruck, Tirol Austria on Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (7/3/2012 UTC) at Innsbruck, Tirol Austria

On it's way in the roundabout. Sorry to be sending you two books in the one parcel again but this was a quick read and I thought I'd save myself postage.

Journal Entry 17 by ahabraken at Innsbruck, Tirol Austria on Monday, July 09, 2012

Fascinating to see that the other pick for the favourites roundabout from grovalskii would have been Room - I read that one too and to be honest I was very dissapointed by the book. This books intrueges me after just reading the back - as it isn´t so big I think I will read it quickly.

Journal Entry 18 by ahabraken at Innsbruck, Tirol Austria on Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (7/17/2012 UTC) at Innsbruck, Tirol Austria

What to say that has to yet been said?! I liked the book - it reminded me of many simular books about perfect societies - and why they are not perfect after all. I am glad this was entered into the RR! Especially as I already read Room and was very disappointed about that...

Passed the book one to the next person in the favourites RR.

Journal Entry 19 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, July 20, 2012

The book's with me now, thanks! I just finished my previous book for the roundabout a couple of days ago and can start with this straightaway.

Journal Entry 20 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, July 29, 2012

I enjoyed this. It's not generally my favourite genre, but being a children's book, it was easy enough for me too to get into I guess :D Thanks for sharing!

I'll forward the book to franaloe within the next couple of days.

Journal Entry 21 by franaloe at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Wednesday, August 15, 2012

It's here! I am assuming this is my september read. Looking forward!

Journal Entry 22 by franaloe at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Interesting read, a bit on the heavy side for a children's book though, I found.
This is not my favorite genre (I seem to be writing this a lot in this round's Favorites reviews, and is of course the whole point of participating; to read books that you'd normally not have picked yourself), and indeed, like the other journallers, it makes me think of reading 1984 or lord of the flies for high school.

Anyhow, thanks for this one. I'll make sure it is with LiniP before the end of the month.

Journal Entry 23 by franaloe at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Monday, September 17, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (9/17/2012 UTC) at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland

Off to LiniP!

Journal Entry 24 by LiniP at Schwäbisch Hall, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Thursday, September 20, 2012

This book has almost come full circle. I am the last reader and will read it as my October book. Looking forward to reading this book and will then see whether grovalskii would like it back or whether I can release it again.

Journal Entry 25 by LiniP at Schwäbisch Hall, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Thursday, October 18, 2012

I really liked this story and I was also glad that it was written for children because I am always on the look-out for good children´s books for my nieces. The book will stay with me for a little while. It might travel again for the German advent calendar. Thanks for sharing this book and also introducing this author to me.

Journal Entry 26 by LiniP at Schwäbisch Hall, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (11/21/2012 UTC) at Schwäbisch Hall, Baden-Württemberg Germany

Das Buch ist im Adventskalender 2012 als Türchen 20 unterwegs zu ...

Journal Entry 27 by C_ at Oelsnitz (Vogtland), Sachsen Germany on Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Thank you very much for this extraordinary book! Sounds as if it's just my type ;) sorry for being so late with my journal entry! Life didn't let me much time for bookcrossing lately.

Journal Entry 28 by C_ at Yakutsk, Sakha [Yakutiya] (Yakutsk), Russia on Friday, May 23, 2014

The book travelled with me to Yakutsk, the coldest big city on earth...while now in summer it's really hot here ;)

Jonas is soon to be a Twelve. In December, when everybody in the community, to which similarity is the most important thing, turns one year older, he will be twelve year old and that means that he will get assigned to a working career. Everybody's happy with what he or she is going to do, the Elders decided wisely. Fiona is going to be a caretaker for the elderly because she likes this work best, a boy who likes building things and mathematics is going to be an engineer...sounds quite logical, right? The community always chooses the best for their members...they do, right? So Jonas becomes assigned to a very special task. He will be the new Receiver and live with all the memories the people in the community don't have anymore...such like individuality, differences, snow, hills, love but also pain.

The Giver was a very nice to read, thrilling and also surprising dystopian novel. I really liked the author's writing style and the characters and the society seemed to be very real...it wasn't too fantastic that one couldn't imagine that something like this could be possible somewhere somewhen. It was a good reading experience to follow Jonas on his way...but this way ended too abruptly in my opinion. Even though there is a sequel I'd prefer to have it all bound up a little more in the first book.

Journal Entry 29 by C_ at Yakutsk, Sakha [Yakutiya] (Yakutsk), Russia on Friday, May 23, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (5/23/2014 UTC) at Yakutsk, Sakha [Yakutiya] (Yakutsk), Russia

Today I gave the book to a new reader after my presentation at the National Library "Pushkin" in Yakutsk (Национальная библиотека им. А.С. Пушкина, Якутск). I hope you'll like the book and Bookcrossing :)

Книга сейчас у новой читательницы :) Я надеюсь, что Буккроссинг и книга тебе нравится!