corner corner The Lantern

The Lantern
by Deborah Lawrenson |
Registered by retromonkey of Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

status (set by isisjem): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by retromonkey from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Hello and welcome to Bookcrossing!

Thanks for picking up this book. Treat it nicely, enjoy reading it and let everyone know what you thought of it here; you can be anonymous if you like or you might want to join Bookcrossing, if you do you can follow the book's onward journey. Then, pass it on when the time is right.If you do choose to join, I hope you'll consider using me retromonkey, as your referring member.

Picked up from a local charity shop who gave it to me for free :o)

Journal Entry 2 by retromonkey at Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (12/21/2011 UTC) at Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom

Passing to Maggiemay1963 who requested this after me. Feel free to release wherever you like afterwards :o)

Journal Entry 3 by retromonkey at In the forest in Salcey Forest, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 28, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (7/28/2012 UTC) at In the forest in Salcey Forest, Northamptonshire United Kingdom

Taking to the meet up.

Journal Entry 4 by Beqi at Daventry, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 28, 2012

Picked up at the Salcey meet. I liked the sound of this one when it featured on The TV Book Club, so will aim to get to it reasonably soon :0)

Journal Entry 5 by Beqi at Daventry, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 26, 2013

Book description
When Eve falls for the secretive, charming Dom, their whirlwind relationship leads them to purchase Les Genevriers, an abandoned house in a rural hamlet in the south of France. As the beautiful Provence summer turns to autumn, Eve finds it impossible to ignore the mysteries that haunt both her lover and the run-down old house, in particular the mysterious disappearance of his beautiful first wife, Rachel. Whilst Eve tries to untangle the secrets surrounding Rachel's last recorded days, Les Genevriers itself seems to come alive. As strange events begin to occur with frightening regularity, Eve's voice becomes intertwined with that of Benedicte Lincel, a girl who lived in the house decades before. As the tangled skeins of the house's history begin to unravel, the tension grows between Dom and Eve. In a page-turning race, Eve must fight to discover the fates of both Benedicte and Rachel, before Les Genevriers' dark history has a chance to repeat itself.

My thoughts
I loved this book, and liked both stories that make up The Lantern, the present day story of Dom and Eve and the story of the Lincel family from the past. Poor, poor Bénédicte. What a hard life she had, and her brother Pierre was truly awful. Being allowed to get away with anything and everything created a monster. I *hated* him! I wish Marthe could have featured more in the book. I loved her character. I didn't know what to make of Dom, and I really identified with Eve, as it's so hard to be with someone who is unable to tell you the truth, and when you know someone's keeping 'secrets' from you, your mind *does* work overtime and think the worst. 'Rebecca' by Daphne Du Maurier is one of my all-time favourite books, so I enjoyed the fact that it influenced this book in some ways, and it made me enjoy it all the more. The descriptions of Provence were wonderful. I've never been, but I have a picture of it in my mind's eye now!

The information about Charles Bonnet Syndrome was a revelation to me, because my late grandmother definitely had this in the last few weeks of her life, possibly due to mini strokes. We were baffled by her descriptions of seeing baskets and bouquets of flowers and other things which she knew were not there in reality, and we were at a loss to know what was wrong, and her GP never offered this as an explanation, but to read about it in this book, and for it to fit her symptoms so perfectly, we now have some answers, which is enlightening even though it's much too late to be of any benefit to her.

I highly recommend this book to anyone. A great read, and everything ties up neatly at the end. I just hope future readers of the book can review it better than I have... ;0)

Journal Entry 6 by Beqi at Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (3/21/2013 UTC) at Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom

Passing this wishlist book to Isisjem when I meet her for dinner tomorrow night. Hope you'll enjoy it, Jan! X

Journal Entry 7 by isisjem at Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 22, 2013

Passed on to me from Beqi when we met up for dinner last night. Thank you! It was lovely to see you! x

Journal Entry 8 by isisjem at Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Taking with me on Holiday. I'll come back and update properly after my hols. It may get wild released if I finish it whilst I'm away. If so it'll be in Bournemouth area.

Journal Entry 9 by isisjem at Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 02, 2013

Despite taking this book on holiday with me I did not make much of a dent in it. It's been perfect hot weather reading in the garden since I've returned. I LOVED the descriptions of Provence and particularly the scents. In some ways it reminded me of Guernica by Dave Boling as that as a blind girl in it that makes soap and it has the same sort of depth of descriptive feel about it. Heavily influenced by the novel Rebecca I wondered if I'd find this too much of an imitation to really like it. Actually I found it paid a nice homage without completely copying it. I liked how things resolved themselves and the parts of the novel that were flashbacks into the past and how they came to tie in with what was happening in the present. In fact all the ends were satisfyingly tied up.

Journal Entry 10 by isisjem at Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Released 6 mos ago (1/2/2014 UTC) at Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom

passed this on to my sister in law