corner corner Strait Is the Gate (Modern Classics)

Strait Is the Gate (Modern Classics)
by Andre Gide | Literature & Fiction
Registered by shovelmonkey1 of Hammersmith and Fulham, Greater London United Kingdom on 12/15/2011

status (set by Annimanni): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by shovelmonkey1 from Hammersmith and Fulham, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, December 15, 2011

A short sharp 1001 classic from Andre Gide. This was my first Gide experience and did it make me giddy? Sadly the answer is non! But it was something different and it is always wise to try different things rather than getting stuck in the same old rut by, for example, spending a lot of time reading the Game of Thrones series... er yes I got sucked in.

Journal Entry 2 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Thursday, December 15, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (12/16/2011 UTC) at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom

Off to a bookcrossing friend as a sort of surprise christmas RABCK. Happy Christmas! Hope you have not already read this one!

Journal Entry 3 by Simson-Shilitoe at Neewiller-près-Lauterbourg, Alsace France on Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I found this packet with a book and a fine Happy New Year postcard inside on my doorstep this evening. That was a great surprise!

It was already a good day at work. But this packet became the highlight of this day for me!

A big "Thank You" to shovelmonkey1 for your kindness!

Journal Entry 4 by Simson-Shilitoe at Neewiller-près-Lauterbourg, Alsace France on Sunday, February 24, 2013

Finished this book some weeks ago:

Not too exciting, but vaguely memorable. This book did touch on some universal experiences that everyone goes through for themselves, growing apart from a first love, love itself being more of an obstacle than a vehicle. Touching stuff.

Journal Entry 5 by Simson-Shilitoe at Neewiller-près-Lauterbourg, Alsace France on Sunday, February 24, 2013

Now part of the "Searching for 3 winners (Gold, Silver, Bronze prizes) ….. Guess the 50th country (int'l RABCK)" and first prize for "pippis" in Finland:

Journal Entry 6 by Simson-Shilitoe at Rülzheim, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Sunday, February 24, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (2/26/2013 UTC) at Rülzheim, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany

Now on a speedy trip to Finland (will be released at Tuesday in the evening after finishing work).

Journal Entry 7 by wingpippiswing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Friday, March 01, 2013

Well that certainly WAS a speedy delivery! Thank you so much, Samson-Shilitoe! I just might leave this book to the top of my book pile, since there are a couple of journeys to be made and all need something to read. A thin book's always handy while travelling!

Journal Entry 8 by wingpippiswing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Awfully beautifully written, but awfully ponderous to read as well, especially in summertime. Not as small a book as you'd expect.

Journal Entry 9 by wingpippiswing at Ranta-Kerttu in Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Thursday, August 08, 2013

Released 3 yrs ago (8/8/2013 UTC) at Ranta-Kerttu in Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland

Available at local meet-up!
If no-one's interested, the book will travel with me to the Finnish un-con, Kesäpäivät ("Summerdays")

Journal Entry 10 by wingpippiswing at Herrainpäivät in Pori, Satakunta Finland on Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Released 3 yrs ago (8/17/2013 UTC) at Herrainpäivät in Pori, Satakunta Finland

1001 book on offer at Finnish UnCon book buffet!

Journal Entry 11 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Aaaaand it was me who picked it up. Thanks dear!

Journal Entry 12 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, May 01, 2015

I quite enjoyed this book. It's difficult to imagine (young) people having been so intense, so serious, so self-sacrificing. It's quite maddening to be honest. But Gide writes beautifully and touchingly and that makes this book a classic I think.

Journal Entry 13 by wingAnnimanniwing at Kirjasto 10 in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Released 8 mos ago (9/13/2016 UTC) at Kirjasto 10 in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Enjoy!