corner corner Cold Sassy Tree

Cold Sassy Tree
by Olive Ann Burns | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingKateKintailwing of Burke, Virginia USA on 12/8/2011

status (set by SaraFromVA): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Thursday, December 08, 2011

Bought this at a library used book sale.

Journal Entry 2 by wingKateKintailwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Thursday, December 08, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (12/10/2011 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

Releasing this at the BCinDC holiday party meetup!

The photo here is of meyldia wild releasing it when we visited River Bend Park today and walked the Potomac River Gorge Trail!

Journal Entry 3 by melydia at -- Geocaches, Virginia USA on Sunday, December 11, 2011

I swear this book is following me. Anyway, I read another copy years ago and this is what I had to say then:

Will Tweedy was 14 years old and living in Cold Sassy, Georgia, in the summer of 1906 when his grandpa came home one day to announce he was marrying a woman half his age, not three weeks after the death of his first wife, Will's grandmother. The town, of course, is scandalized, and continues to be so as the story wears on. This is more of a "slice of life" depiction than much of a story - the author starts with a setting (the town of Cold Sassy) and a premise (Grandpa's new bride), and meanders through clever little anecdotes and asides for a while until the author decides it's time to end the story and starts killing off characters. This is not a bad story, just a fairly standard one. I don't have very strong feelings about it either way. The constant backcountry dialect got kind of old, but I feel that way about all books narrated in dialect so that's not exactly serious criticism. On the other hand, I could hear all the characters in my head with no problem. In the end, if you like this era of historical fiction, you'll enjoy the feeling of living in Cold Sassy; if you prefer more plot-driven stories where everything happens for a reason, you might want to skip this one.

You can bet this is destined for wild release. Ha!

Journal Entry 4 by melydia at Riverbend Park, Potomac Hills Street in Great Falls, Virginia USA on Sunday, January 08, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (1/8/2012 UTC) at Riverbend Park, Potomac Hills Street in Great Falls, Virginia USA

Left in a tree.

Journal Entry 5 by SaraFromVA at Great Falls, Virginia USA on Monday, January 09, 2012

Just found this today! What fun.

Journal Entry 6 by SaraFromVA at McLean, Virginia USA on Sunday, October 07, 2012

I really enjoyed this book. I also read it many years ago and enjoyed it when I was young. I am releasing the book to my dear Aunt Mary and hope she finds it a good read.

Journal Entry 7 by SaraFromVA at McLean, Virginia USA on Sunday, October 07, 2012

I just got the book and will be taking it with me to Erie, PA, my home.