corner corner Without Reservations: The Travels of an Independent Woman

Without Reservations: The Travels of an Independent Woman
by Alice Steinbach | Travel
Registered by biisbsw of Endicott, New York USA on 12/4/2011

status (set by edithdoll): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by biisbsw from Endicott, New York USA on Thursday, December 15, 2011

"In many ways, I was an independent woman," writes Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Alice Steinback. "For years I'd made my own choices, paid my own bills, shoveled my own snow." But somehow she had become dependent in quite another way. "I had fallen into the habit...of defining myself in terms of who I was to other people and what they expected of me." But who was she away from the people and things that defined her? In this exuisit book, Steinbach searches for the answer to this question in some of the most beautiful and exciting places in the world: Paris, where she finds a soul mate; Oxford, where she takes a course on the English village; Milan, where she befriends a young woman about to be married. Beautifully illustrated with postcards from her journeys, this revealing and witty book transports you into a fascinating inner and outer journey, an unforgettable voyage of discovery.

Journal Entry 2 by biisbsw at Endicott, New York USA on Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (11/20/2012 UTC) at Endicott, New York USA

Happy Birthday!

Journal Entry 3 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, December 08, 2012

Thank you, biisbsw! This has been on my "radar" for a while now; it's wonderful to receive it as a birthday surprise!

Journal Entry 4 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, May 12, 2015

This was entertaining and informative. Ms. Steinbach had a way with words, and I was saddened to learn that she had passed away in 2012.

She visited many of my favorite places (Paris, London, Oxford, Venice...as well as some other Italian cities) and her powers of observation are so superior to those of anyone I know. Her reactions to these places and her personal feelings about them take priority over actual descriptions of the places. I envy her having been vivacious and outgoing, enabling her to easily make friends with other travelers or local residents at all stages of her 9-month trip - including Naohiro, who could be considered the love of her life.

I didn't award 9 or 10 points because some of the situations she describes seemed, to me, to be somewhat embellished. I know there is some poetic license in this kind of travel writing, but the fact that a few things seemed too good to be true was always in the back of my mind and that decreased my enjoyment just a little. But it's still a very worthwhile read, and I even look forward to reading her later book, Educating Alice: Adventures of a Curious Woman.

Thanks again, biisbsw, for sharing this with me!

Journal Entry 5 by wingeponine38wing at Panera Bread, 299 Harvard St. in Brookline, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, May 30, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (5/30/2015 UTC) at Panera Bread, 299 Harvard St. in Brookline, Massachusetts USA

For the special Saturday meetup.

Released for May 2015 Ultimate Challenge hosted by jumpingin. This month's theme is Travel.

DEAR FINDER,

Welcome to BookCrossing!

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 6 by wingedithdollwing at Brookline, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, May 31, 2015

Caught at: Special Sat. May 2015 meet up for Boston Bookcrossing.
To be read pile for the summer!
Thank you!

Journal Entry 7 by wingedithdollwing at Winthrop, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Pleasant read; combination of travel and personal memoir; in the category of Eat, Pray, Love and many others before/and after it. Spoilers follow.

Personally as in Eat, Pray, Love -- like the travel stories the personal venting on relationships not so much but this I know varies with readers.

Books like these I don't know I like them but I think also there is a note of privilege to be able to step aside from your present successful life and have an expat adventure. I understand the author's life was challenging with a divorce and being a single mom but she was a successful features writer for a major newspaper many would have just relished the opportunity. She got restless and went on this leave just as I graduated from school hoping to be a journalist which did not happen. By not walking away she locked me and many others of an opportunity she tired of doing.

I will say this the author had a lot of lovely adventures so much so I was skeptical so I commend her for including a not so pleasant experience as well although overall perhaps American women traveling alone lend Europeans to be more friendly, however that was not my own personal experience traveling to Prague in the same time period 1994 to visit a friend there. At times the book read like one magicial adventure after another which is a nice escape but then the author went into rambles about self-doubt I felt were distracting--but again just one lone opinion there. I have noted the two other travel writers in the book she mentioned several times to read their work: Janet Flanner and Freya Stark. Releasing into our book sharing shelf, One Ashburton Place, Boston, MA 02108--basement level/cafetaria.

Overall a decent summer read.