corner corner Adressat unbekannt

Adressat unbekannt
by Kressmann Taylor | Literature & Fiction
Registered by PDB11 of Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, December 03, 2011

status (set by PDB11): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by PDB11 from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, December 03, 2011

I read this book as part of my German studies (i.e. with a colleague, and with guidance from our tutor) a few years ago.

A novel from the 1930s (but only recently translated into German). Two American friends - one of Jewish extraction, one of German - are corresponding, and still trying to run their joint business, after the German has returned to Germany. Through their letters we see how the German friend is seduced by Nazi propaganda, and how this slowly destroys their friendship. A lesson in "do as you would be done by".

The compositors and copy editors at Rowohlt need some lessons on how to typeset in Fraktur fonts. Not hard to do, and not hard to find out how - the rules were still in Duden as recently as the 1990s - and the glaring mistakes I found rather offputting.

Finally, and quite irrelevant to the book, I kept being bugged by a tiny Ohrwurm: a snatch of my friend Matthew singing the words "Return to sender - address unknown" to the tune of a popular song of the day. And I can't for the life of me remember what the song was! Oh well. Maybe if I release the book, the Ohrwurm will go away.

Journal Entry 2 by PDB11 at Barsinghausen in Barsinghausen, Niedersachsen Germany on Saturday, December 03, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (12/3/2011 UTC) at Barsinghausen in Barsinghausen, Niedersachsen Germany

Am Weihnachtsmarkt im Stadtzentrum